One size fits all teeth

looking4lulu

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any techniques they could share on how to make acrylic teeth fit a client's mouth without first having made a casting of their teeth and making a custom pair.

I was advised that this could be done by covering a pre-casted pair of teeth with epoxy sculpt for a more generic shape...sculpting on top of that, and then securing them in person with flexacryl.

Does anyone else know of any other techniques? Any advice would be much appreciated!

You definitely shouldn't be putting uncured flexacryl on someone's teeth.

Look into Dental Distortions teeth. They're basically a thin veneer of flexacryl teeth with a flat back, and you use friendly plastic to make them fit around the actor's teeth.

Thank you so much, ChickenHaunt! I will definitely look in to Dental distortions! Out of curiosity, Why shouldn't I put flexacyl on someone's teeth? My fx teacher was one of the head makeup artists at universal and that is what he taught us.

I really appreciate your input, btw. I've seen some of your work on this forum and it's amazing. Any idea what material Dental distortions cast their teeth in?

You can absolutely use flexacryl to make dentures-- that's what it's for, but the chemical reaction should be happening in a mold, not in someone's mouth. As a general rule of thumb, avoid inciting chemical reactions on someone's body, unless it's a material specifically designed for that purpose (ie: lifecasting materials). Just get a whiff of that acrylic monomer (which is toxic, and you shouldn't be breathing it) and consider if that is something you want up against the delicate enamel of your teeth. In fact, I'm pretty sure the directions say to avoid contact with the material while it's kicking off. I can't explain why your teacher would suggest that.

I remember the owner of DD said once they use flexacryl for the current line of teeth.

Yes, that thermoplastic is what I meant by friendly plastic (a brand name). It's not really paintable, which is why DD uses it only for the securing it to your teeth, not for the cosmetic side.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you've enjoyed some of my weird projects.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back