OCC vs PJD vs Jesse James build-off.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by darth_myeek, Dec 5, 2011.

1. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Anyone watching this train wreck?

2. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Between Jesse and paul sr i'm amazed their egos had room for Jr. I'd honestly watch the show if they would just focus on PJD builds. Funny how little drama there is when he has his own company yet the old man's place is a disaster. I keep rooting for Sr to crash and burn.

3. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I've watched this show from the start.

Why is this Jesse James thing even in it? He does cars right?

I agree ditch everthing but PJD, get back to the builds without the bull****.

All they need is Rick and they'll have the group that made the best bikes.

I saw the MACHINE at SDCC and got to sit on it. It was BADASS.

4. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I won't watch it as long as Jesse James is on the show. The * lover ******* can go **** himself after what he did to Sandra Bullock by cheating with that painted ***** on that tattoo show. I sent a letter to the Discovery channel explaining just that.

5. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

He already crashed from the Cadillac build off, and burned when he completely lost Mikey. I'd also say PJD has evolved from assembler to builder. The bikes are still sterile, but much better. The split even improved SR's bikes.

It's a promo thing, but it's fun seeing the Teutels tweaked.

I liked the Biker Build Off series. Particularly Trevelene, Indian Larry, Chica, and Russell Mitchell.

6. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Ya I Jesse is definitely trash.

7. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Sr's Cadillac bike was okay (meaning everyone else who built it, but I don't recall he did any work on it).. but Jr's bike kicked serious *.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't blame Jr if he never reconciled with Sr, not even until they plant Sr in the ground. He'll regret that somewhat, but then again, Sr has done everything possible to drive him away.

8. BoozeBeGood

BoozeBeGood Sr Member

I'm with you guys on this one. Way too much drama with senior.

9. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Me too. I'll watch almost anything that has fabrication involved.

I'd bet Jesse is bumming that his life is sheet, and went to Disco to get a quick foot back in the door.

Yep, I enjoy the 100% harmony approach to PJD, and it's funny to see the hints for Rick that Jr. drops.

I loved that trike. Thought that the tank could have been as sculpted as the wheels, but that was a short time to pull that piece of coolness off. Just glad they didn't web-r-ize it.

(Oh god I multi-quoted, please ignore that. :lol)

10. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I think the Gears of war trike was the freshest design that Jr has come up with and it for sure was a beast. I'd love to see it pop up in a Gears game if they make more or add it somehow as a DLC.

11. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Trevelene
    [​IMG]

Indian Larry's shop:
    [​IMG]

Chica:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure whose bike this is but it works for me: (might need a cushier saddle)
    [​IMG]

12. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

They've got pics of the bikes built on the Discovery channel website.

Did someone forget to tell Sr they are supposed to build a bike?

13. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I do get a laugh out of the episodes where Sr tries to help build a bike and everyone rolls their eyes when he has his back turned. Either he's been out of practice or he never was any good. I always liked Indian Larry's stuff.

14. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Speaking just about the bikes and not the personalities involved, this is the way I see it.

If you like a simple standard chopper look that's been around since the 60s, vote for Jesse James.

If you like a creative design, unique use of materials/finishes, along with a very cool extra (exhaust pipes out the sides of the gas tank), vote for Paul Jr. Designs.

If you like, ummm...

...nevermind.

15. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Jr.
    I like most of Jr's bike, and then the fenders went a little disco-liberace for me with the copper blow-out. Not sure about the smoke inside for the reveal.

Sr.
    Pretty cool front end, but riding around with a box between your legs has gotta suck, but not suck as bad a haircut from a flame thrower at 60mph. It was still a snowmobile.

Jesse
    His bike is beautiful, but the forks are weak and having to look around the side of your bike to drive is not my idea of fun. His engine sounded great. Nothing innovative about the design. It was pretty but his premise was compromised with the doin' it myself but then ten guys dropping buy. Not really walking the walk.

16. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That Army bike behind Jr. looked really sweet, I hope that one is on a future show.

I've liked all the bikes Jr. has done so far, but this Mustang themed bike is my least favorite. I liked the silver and copper mix, it was too shiny for me and needed some color and maybe a brown leather seat.

Taking the builders out of the mix, based on the bikes alone I'd have to vote for Jesse's bike- when compared to the other two. Sure his was nothing new, but it was a clean, good looking motorcycle. Out of the 3 bikes in this competion, Jesse's bike is the only one I would ride out in public.

Personally, I hope Jr. wins.

17. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I give credit to Jesse's bike for looking like a standard bike, but really, that doesn't show much. Jr's bike is more innovative, more curious looking, but yeah, it wouldn't last a 100 mile ride on it. Jesse's is definitely built for actual use, as opposed to Jr's built to show some neat twists on the bike.

Sr's is a pile of ****.

18. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

I was disappointed with the Gears of War trike. Great paint job, but instead of painting the metal plates, why not fabricate them? Just a layer of sheet metal riveted to the skin would have been great and give a real 3d effect.
    Still a great trike, but it could have been better.

Sr. needs to retire. Jr. needs to steal Rick. Jason Pohl needs to stop listening to the other guys and design bikes like he envisions them. It really isn't Sr. VS Jr., it is Jr. VS Pohl. They are the designers, everyone else seems to just do the grunt work.

19. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Looking at juniors bike, i'd think it was a steampunk bike before I would a p51 mustang bike.

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Jesse James' - More traditional, but the high frame reminded me of Paul Sr.'s P.O.W. bike.

Paul Jr.'s - Low and lean, but far too "Liberace" for my tastes (as darth_myeek mentioned above).

Paul Sr.'s - Interesting design, but I wouldn't call it a "bike".

If I had the deciding vote Jesse James' bike would win, but I wouldn't want any of 'em in my garage.

21. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

I Agree. Jesse's bike...pretty standard, and the most important thing for safety is an unimpeded view, that thing is a nightmare of limited visibility.

PJD's...they started off well, but the copper just f-ed it up, and the headlight? You want to emulate a P-51 and couldn't come up with a propeller design for the headlight?

Sr's Not really a bike, just a weird trike, OTOH I like it in a weird Joel Shumackerish Batman kind of thing, kind of like if The Batman Forevers Batmobile and a Tron Lightcycle mated. Let's face it, We'd all like to go ripping across a field with it blazing the flame units just once. Wonder how it would do on sand dunes.

22. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I don't think we'll have to worry about Sr retiring one of these days he'll be making fun of Jr or tearing into someone and just fall over dead from a heart attack as angry as he seems to get. If he fakes half that he needs an oscar. I don't see how Sr's "bike" could even be in the competition as it isn't really a bike. It had some neat ideas but still looks like something an inventor built in his shed as a hobby.

23. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think what bugs me about Jr's bike is the wheels.

Why would he go with a 3-bladed wooden spoke, instead of a 4-bladed propeller like a Mustang in black with white tips ? And the US Star emblem should have been painted like the plane, not done in copper.

24. dkaniel

dkaniel Sr Member

Just yesterday a local Rock Radio Station in San Francisco had Jesse James on the phone taking questions from the local listeners...and guess what nearly every call was about how could he cheat on Sandra! He kept refusing to answer and it was an uncomfortable session. After he got off the air, the DJ's were making fun about how uncomfortable he was with the questions and how he takes himself a liitle too seriously!:lol

25. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

There are so many neat things on a P51 that Jr could have gone nuts with it. I'd personally would have gone with brushed aluminum and not the tacky copper.

26. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

I thought it was interesting how he made a point of having his kid count in German.

27. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Good. I hope people ask him every time they see him. I hope it ruins his ****ing life.

28. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Too bad we have to pick between these three "bikes" -- I vote none of the above on these candy coated turds.

Jesse - Traditional but poorly made (quick knock together), but hey it's shiny
    Paul - A toy with tacky tack-ons (as usual). Please give him his LEGO's back!
    Sr - WTF -- maybe put a plow on it and do the driveway?

I had just recently tuned in again for the last few episodes, and this adding Jesse to the mix thing reeks of desperation. I'm out.

Doug

29. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Facebook Build-Off trash talk.

Some really funny quotes.

Looks like it's going to be a disco landslide.

30. Daddyphat

Daddyphat New Member

Jessie builds some great bikes taking the personal stupidity out of it. For me it was to scripted and full of my daddy doesn't love me crap.

Sr's thing. It is cool but not a bike. Jr's bike has some cool stuff but it is a shelf queen. Jessie built a real bike at least. It is not innovative but is a true bike.

These other guys listed are true build off champs.

31. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  32. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They already did on an episode a little while ago. It was the bike for Jared Allen's charity. Pretty cool looking:
    [​IMG]

Paul Jr. Designs Fan Center

33. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Certain people can conceptualize in their head, other need a visual queue/crutch. I was also mortified when he started PFD off with a web-theme bike. He seems to be a go with what ya know/wing-it kinda guy. I think his new bikes are much better than his old OCC days. I am just hoping he evolves out of the theme crutch.

That's probably why he went with PJD esigns, not PJB uilder, :lol and he never took personal credit for the work, but I still give him credit for bringing a concept to reality. Jesse can't take 100% credit for that bike. Austin Speed shop saved his bacon. Jesse's bike was beautiful, save that stupidly high headset.

Jesse should have made his 3/4 gallon tank joke at the beginning of the show and kept pushing Jr on that. A 10-20 mile ride is a joke.

34. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

35. RBJ

RBJ Well-Known Member

the show was beyond retarded.

Sr.'s trike was cool, and I want to ride it..but not a bike. It's kind of what Jesse would have built for this BS years ago..but not all batmanish. "Oh..they want a chopper, **** em..lets build a three wheeled flame thrower"

Jr. Knows less about motorcycles than almost anyone. I remember talking to Indian Larry years ago about how the show was a trainwreck, and they would do at least two things every episode that would get me fired. He is a cake decorator and his bikes are motorcycle shaped "art", not choppers. That airplane mess with the fake tank wouldn't make it around the block. Four bolts hold the entire front end on..

Jesse hand built a chopper. One he wants to ride and keep. Riding a 6"+ up stretch does not impair viability when you are 6'3". I'm sure he did this to start the buzz on his new Discovery show..and it worked.

36. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Ya, absolutely true. I am a P51 fan and it missed. While we are picking away, the tank cladding had unacceptable gaps, and he missed an opportunity to emulate the P51 engine note.

Yep, I am not disagreeing about it being hand-fabbed. Jesse's bike is a rideable piece of jewelry.
    This hand-fabbed vs flow-jet'd discussion is funny in a way because it mirrors the RPF CGI vs Non-CGI arguments. I am pro Non-CGI, so I obviously agree with you. :behave
    Technology is important, but not for printing the entire bike. :lol

37. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

No argument here.

RBJ, That's pretty darn cool.

Jesse was sneaking peaks around the side of his bike. Just saying he's boasting about functionality, ride-a-bility and having to look around the side means it's in the way. A lot of this hate of cake builders thing, really should be a lead by example thing. If he doesn't like OCC he should start his own show, drop the trash talk and just build the right kind of bikes. Let his bikes do the talking. I'd definitely watch.

38. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

When have they ever really done anything aside from the tins. You know?

I'm not knocking the series or even this particular build-off. I do enjoy the show purely from a fabrication standpoint but yeah, JJ is right, a lot of this is indeed 'cake decoration' which I can appreciate on a very simple design level.

I know Sr. gets a lot of sh-t and I do think it was a serious misstep to build a 'machine' over a classic chopper but I do think his build was pretty cool (even though he had very little to do with it).

I wonder what would have happened if OCC would have put the ball in Rick's hand and let him design and fabricate their entry?

39. fmh13

fmh13 New Member

i just hate all the bull that goes on the show, it's the build that i like to see...2 cents

40. infymys

infymys Sr Member

It was more of ratings grab to me. It made Jesse James look more like an * than he already is. Made Senior and the rest of OCC look like they have no clue of what they're doing anymore and Junior and PJD look like they only make glorified trailer queens.

Discovery's other show, Biker Build Off, was way better. Matt Hotch, Rick Fairless, Chica and others did awesome bikes AND they had to ride their bikes to a central location for it to qualify for the competition. I would love to see if PJD, OCC and James could compete with those guys.

41. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

42. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Senior is an idiot. The guys role in the shop is to sit at his desk, play solitaire, and when he gets bored, go out into the shop and yell to drum up some ratings. I especially like when they're showing off a bike and seniors all "we did this" and "we decided on..."

He's about as much a part of a build as a hockey fan is part of the team sitting at home watching the game on his couch.

43. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

He reminds me of the owners of places like this here. I've worked in 2 places, not bike shops, but machine shops and a plastic plant and the boss/managers claim this and that but you only see them when they want to yell or are giving a tour of the shop to a client. Sr isn't even a good business man as seen by the foreclosure issue. If I want a nice bike to sit as a display for my company I'd go to JR but I'd not get anything meant to ride for long periods of time from him.

44. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

45. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

That had to be one of the stupidest ideas a client came to them with, and OCC has gotten some stupid projects. I don't know what the in house painter was going on about how realistic it looked, it looked as realistic as a merry-go-round horse. I'd give Nub more credit for being able to paint a horse head that looks real, but hopefully we'll never see him given the chance.

46. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I always feel bad for Nub. Jesse James was on the history channel with some crap this morning, as soon as i saw it was him i went back to watching cartoons lol.

47. grimlock2d

grimlock2d Well-Known Member

First I'm going to admit I know nothing to speak of about these types of motorcyles.

JR's Bike doesn't make me think of a P-51 at all really. It don't see the lines there. It's flashy and pretty fancy looking but it doesn't look like it would be fun to ride at all.

JJ's bike looks pretty typical. It's pretty but it looks like it would be really hard to ride for most. I agree about the forks blocking the view.

SR's bike isn't a bike. It's still cool though. It reminds me of something out of GI Joe. All they need to do is paint it blue and throw some Cobra emblems on it.

I don't think either of the more traditional bikes would be enjoyable to ride except maybe to the store and back. They look really painful.

48. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

49. wannab

wannab Sr Member

I want to see someone attempt this full scale

[​IMG]

Doug

50. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Wait...

[​IMG]