Obi-Wan's ANH Cabinet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Riv, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

This popped up over in a discussion on the RPF, and it got me thinking: Has anyone identified the chest/cabinet that Obi-Wan uses in ANH to store Anakin's saber?

I'm assuming it must have been a pre-existing piece of furniture- I'm thinking for something so trivial it wouldn't have made sense to custom craft one- but I could be wrong, of course.

Has anyone done any research into this piece? I did some searching for pre-existing threads but came up empty. If there is one, please feel free point it out and kill this one.

:)

I'm at work so I can't post screengrabs, but will try and scrounge some up when I get home if no one has any.

2. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

I recall something on this topic being posted a good while back. IIRC, the chest was rather like a pre-existing studio prop that later appeared in another movie, though I don't recall what that movie was. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

3. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Is this now property of Lucasfilm or on display in someone else's Star Wars collection?

5. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

What's the history behind that photo - did the trunk tour as part of an exhibition?

6. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I figured there must have been some information out there already, I just hadn't found it yet.

Interesting. So it showed up in Superman as well? But that was post-ANH, so I wonder if it was used in anything else prior to SW. If it were a studio prop, I guess that implies it was custom made for some movie at some point, and just got shuffled about- rather than being a found item anyone might be able to go to a local thrift shop or antique store to find. Somewhat of a shame.

7. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

9. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Did I hear the word....comparisons? :love

10. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Oh...God help us.

11. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Your prayers have been answered ;)

[​IMG]

It's pretty close...couldn't find anything apart from the thickness of the "X's" and the extension of one of the limbs of an X....hard to tell though...it articulates properly, same irregularities on the sides of the lid, etc....could be a casting?

12. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

We can always count on you Thomas for those comparisons.... :D

13. laszlo

laszlo Sr Member

My mother has a chest just like that at home - a very common eastern design - you could pick one up very easily.

14. Tatooine_Todd

Tatooine_Todd Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Can you post pics and state from where she might have gotten it?

16. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

17. kapow

kapow Well-Known Member

[image]http://www.drstranglove.com/upload/imgs/zatar_dowry_chest.jpg[/image]

THe style to this Indian chest looks pretty similar. Have no idea who the original maker is though.

Closer....
    [​IMG]

18. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Remarkably similar style indeed...

19. kapow

kapow Well-Known Member

The second image is from a current Ebay auction. I'm not sure if the Ebay post would apply here considering it's not exact but type in "indian trunk" and you should find it. It's close design-wise and the seller might know of something similar that we're looking for but I haven't contacted them about it yet.

20. laszlo

laszlo Sr Member

I'm not taking seedy pictures of my mother for you.

It was bought from Libertys in London (Regents Street)