Obi-Wan's ANH Cabinet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Riv, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

This popped up over in a discussion on the RPF, and it got me thinking: Has anyone identified the chest/cabinet that Obi-Wan uses in ANH to store Anakin's saber?

I'm assuming it must have been a pre-existing piece of furniture- I'm thinking for something so trivial it wouldn't have made sense to custom craft one- but I could be wrong, of course.

Has anyone done any research into this piece? I did some searching for pre-existing threads but came up empty. If there is one, please feel free point it out and kill this one.

:)

I'm at work so I can't post screengrabs, but will try and scrounge some up when I get home if no one has any.

2. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

I recall something on this topic being posted a good while back. IIRC, the chest was rather like a pre-existing studio prop that later appeared in another movie, though I don't recall what that movie was. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

3. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The chest was used in Superman. Lex Luthor stored cryptonite in it..

[​IMG]

4. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Is this now property of Lucasfilm or on display in someone else's Star Wars collection?

5. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

What's the history behind that photo - did the trunk tour as part of an exhibition?

6. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I figured there must have been some information out there already, I just hadn't found it yet.

Interesting. So it showed up in Superman as well? But that was post-ANH, so I wonder if it was used in anything else prior to SW. If it were a studio prop, I guess that implies it was custom made for some movie at some point, and just got shuffled about- rather than being a found item anyone might be able to go to a local thrift shop or antique store to find. Somewhat of a shame.

7. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IIRC that photo was taken at Walt Disney World at Westside Downtown Disney, There was a display there in 2003/04 in a store called Starabilias. The items were not for sale in the display. I asked. :D

8. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Correct.

At the time someone posted photo comparisons and made a pretty good argument that that chest on display was not screenused. (shrug)

9. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Did I hear the word....comparisons? :love

10. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Oh...God help us.

11. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Your prayers have been answered ;)

[​IMG]

It's pretty close...couldn't find anything apart from the thickness of the "X's" and the extension of one of the limbs of an X....hard to tell though...it articulates properly, same irregularities on the sides of the lid, etc....could be a casting?

12. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

We can always count on you Thomas for those comparisons.... :D

13. laszlo

laszlo Sr Member

My mother has a chest just like that at home - a very common eastern design - you could pick one up very easily.

14. Tatooine_Todd

Tatooine_Todd Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like something from Pier 1 Imports.

15. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Can you post pics and state from where she might have gotten it?

16. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Err... posting pictures of one's mother's chest... :angel

17. kapow

kapow Well-Known Member

[image]http://www.drstranglove.com/upload/imgs/zatar_dowry_chest.jpg[/image]

THe style to this Indian chest looks pretty similar. Have no idea who the original maker is though.

Closer....
    [​IMG]

18. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Remarkably similar style indeed...

19. kapow

kapow Well-Known Member

The second image is from a current Ebay auction. I'm not sure if the Ebay post would apply here considering it's not exact but type in "indian trunk" and you should find it. It's close design-wise and the seller might know of something similar that we're looking for but I haven't contacted them about it yet.

20. laszlo

laszlo Sr Member

I'm not taking seedy pictures of my mother for you.

It was bought from Libertys in London (Regents Street)

21. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

I don't blame you at all. :)

Maybe Liberty's still has some of those around for those interested.

22. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

23. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

This would seem to be a very common design among Indian craftsmen then. Knowing the right dimensions from the original, it may be that these folks could commission the design from their suppliers. Just a thought... :confused

24. kapow

kapow Well-Known Member

You could try this page:

http://www.bunjara.com/

They sell antique teak furniture but also custom make.

25. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

I'll e-mail them just for fun to see what would be the cost. Considering the other prices on their website I'll make sure I'm sitting down when I read their reply... :lol

26. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Anyone find one of these yet? Has anyone tried Pear 1, or hobby lobby, or somewhere like that?

Jason

27. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Is there any more interest in this? I have photos from a Planet Hollywood of a claimed-to-be-original chest...

28. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Can you post the pics?

29. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

LOL,

i love when im reading through a thread and laugh to myself because its such a simmilar thread to one ive read before... then i look at the date... and realise its the same discussion, bumped up from oblivion.

yes, i would love to find a close match to this.

wasnt there talk of it being from a movie even before SW?

seems i remember that being discussed elsewhere...

like from an OLD mummy movie or somethin...

they reuse props alot, could be in the background in several things.

30. PHArchivist

Yup -- I dragged this thread up from the bottom.

I will post pics later. They were from the Planet Hollywood in Vancouver, if I recall correctly. Bearing in mind it was from a PH, whose to say if it really was the original...

31. PHArchivist

Ack. I flaked last night. Will try to post tonight

SOMEONE PM ME FOR GOD'S SAKE TO REMIND ME..

;)

32. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I found this in my pics library. Don't know who took this but if you need credit or want it removed, PM me.

[​IMG]

FB

33. PHArchivist

Here you go guys... I have more but no more friggin' room. :angry

34. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

It looks the same as the other one except for the color. Is it Black?

FB

Does anyone have any screen grabs?

Thanks

FB

35. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think its just the photo that makes it look black.

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Aug 2 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]1292420[/snapback]</div>

36. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(kurtyboy @ Aug 2 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1292440[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Correct.

Again, I have two more good shots, one with really good close up detail. Just got to get Wackychimp to allow 900kb image files. ;)

37. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Send them to me and I'll get the file size down in photoshop. :D

FB

38. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Some Screencaps. If anyone has any better ones' please post them.:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FB

39. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

I wonder if it would be feasible to have someone make a scaled down copy? I don't have the room or need for a full size one, but I'd love to have one that was just big enough for a graflex based ANH saber.

40. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I'm going to make one for myself to house my OWK parts and display. It will have 2 shelves.

The top shelve will have my OWK and Luke saber and the lower shelf will have my original OWK parts with plaques or something.

I might start off with a jewelry box or a wooden cigar box as a base.

I can add on all the metal and I'm thinking of getting the XXXXX pattern laser cut out of plastic or make a template out of sticker paper and spray paint the box with the pattern.

It might be about 14-18: wide. My ex brother in laws brother owns an antique restoration shop and he might be able to help me out.

FB

41. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Aug 2 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]1292461[/snapback]</div>

Do I have your email?

Email me at PHarchivist@aol.com

42. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Here are the pics from PHArchivist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks PHArchivist..

FB

43. PHArchivist

Sweet. So what's the consensus? Did PH actually have the screen-used chest?

44. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, this is semi-on-topic.

I bought an ANH luke action figure and he came with a nifty little accessory.....

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/001.jpg[/image], [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/002.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/003.jpg[/image], [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/004.jpg[/image]

45. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(James Kenobi 1138 @ Aug 5 2006, 06:28 AM) [snapback]1294299[/snapback]</div>
    Haha. That's great. It looks like the two items on the bottom is an aqua breather and a pilot's head set from the prequel trilogy.

46. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

And a training remote.

47. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

So what's needed is a working drawing of the whole chest, and some understanding of how it's constructed.

My guess is a plain wooden box with metal sheets covering the entire exterior. Brass? Copper's a bit soft, iron seems unlikely.

There's a name for the technique of working sheet metal like that, it's not 'burnishing' but something close--where areas are pressed/rubbed to go into relief? I've done the process in copper in a high school craft class but can't think of the name...

I'd love a small one-saber box in the same style, myself.

48. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I think thin strips of metal and laser cutting the design in some thin plastic is the way to go.

Once it's glued down and painted, it will look good. I'm not going for 100% accurate, but it will look close.

PHArchivist, I think it's the same one.

FB

49. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i thought it was decided that it was all teak?

so its covered in metal?

possibly copper?

it does appear to be oxidizing and turning green, but i had ALWAYS assumed it was some sort of wood???

hey franz do you have those shots of obi taking the saber out of the box in a higher resolution?

if so PLEASE PM me. :D

ive pretty much decided to limit myself to ANH stuff, and i think this would be just awesome.

wish we knew what was really inside it... :( dont guess we will ever know.

guess its supposed to be PT stuff huh... :p

too bad he didnt keep any covertecs... then luke wouldnt have gotten smacked in the marbles while runnin around dagobah... maybe that was part of his quick training... :p

50. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree a 3/4 scale version would be too cool, just to hold my real Graflex Luke ANH Saber.