Obi-Wan's ANH Cabinet

Riv

This popped up over in a discussion on the RPF, and it got me thinking: Has anyone identified the chest/cabinet that Obi-Wan uses in ANH to store Anakin's saber?

I'm assuming it must have been a pre-existing piece of furniture- I'm thinking for something so trivial it wouldn't have made sense to custom craft one- but I could be wrong, of course.

Has anyone done any research into this piece? I did some searching for pre-existing threads but came up empty. If there is one, please feel free point it out and kill this one.

:)

I'm at work so I can't post screengrabs, but will try and scrounge some up when I get home if no one has any.

I recall something on this topic being posted a good while back. IIRC, the chest was rather like a pre-existing studio prop that later appeared in another movie, though I don't recall what that movie was. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

The chest was used in Superman. Lex Luthor stored cryptonite in it..

Lightsaberchestrs.jpg

Is this now property of Lucasfilm or on display in someone else's Star Wars collection?

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Mar 17 2006, 04:23 PM
The chest was used in Superman. Lex Luthor stored cryptonite in it..

Lightsaberchestrs.jpg

[snapback]1207897[/snapback]​

I figured there must have been some information out there already, I just hadn't found it yet.

Interesting. So it showed up in Superman as well? But that was post-ANH, so I wonder if it was used in anything else prior to SW. If it were a studio prop, I guess that implies it was custom made for some movie at some point, and just got shuffled about- rather than being a found item anyone might be able to go to a local thrift shop or antique store to find. Somewhat of a shame.

IIRC that photo was taken at Walt Disney World at Westside Downtown Disney, There was a display there in 2003/04 in a store called Starabilias. The items were not for sale in the display. I asked. :D

Correct.

At the time someone posted photo comparisons and made a pretty good argument that that chest on display was not screenused. (shrug)

Your prayers have been answered ;)

ObiwansChest.jpg

It's pretty close...couldn't find anything apart from the thickness of the "X's" and the extension of one of the limbs of an X....hard to tell though...it articulates properly, same irregularities on the sides of the lid, etc....could be a casting?

Originally posted by laszlo@Mar 18 2006, 06:29 AM
My mother has a chest just like that at home - a very common eastern design - you could pick one up very easily.
[snapback]1208214[/snapback]​

Can you post pics and state from where she might have gotten it?

Err... posting pictures of one's mother's chest... :angel

Originally posted by jme3+Mar 18 2006, 11:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jme3 @ Mar 18 2006, 11:33 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-laszlo
@Mar 18 2006, 06:29 AM
My mother has a chest just like that at home - a very common eastern design - you could pick one up very easily.
[snapback]1208214[/snapback]​

Can you post pics and state from where she might have gotten it?
[snapback]1208481[/snapback]​
[/b]

[image]http://www.drstranglove.com/upload/imgs/zatar_dowry_chest.jpg[/image]

THe style to this Indian chest looks pretty similar. Have no idea who the original maker is though.

Closer....
cd20292.jpg

Originally posted by jme3@Mar 19 2006, 05:42 AM
Remarkably similar style indeed...

The second image is from a current Ebay auction. I'm not sure if the Ebay post would apply here considering it's not exact but type in "indian trunk" and you should find it. It's close design-wise and the seller might know of something similar that we're looking for but I haven't contacted them about it yet.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back