Obi Wan/Pondo Baba rumble in Cantina scene questions...?

Shiva71

Evening all!
Ive been studying this scene for a possible project, and theres quite a lot to unpack!
This are screengrabs and i think it shows PB pulling his blaster on Obi Wan. This i believe is his SE-14C. Then the infamous shot of PBs severed arm (which i always thought was slightly spooky as it appreared to be hollow!), next to PBs now flipper-changed-to-a-werewolf hand, also appears to be an SE-14C, only this now has had the viewfinder removed, the tube on top and the one sticking out the back are now missing.
So does anyone know why the blaster on the floor is different, and can anyone confirm the blaster next to PBs arm is a modified SE_14C?
Many thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 140
This is a funny blaster. First off, the scopes are on top, and on the side I'm pretty sure. The one you're seeing sticking out the back is just a side bracketed scope washed out with back lighting. I never paid much attention to that shot, but you're right, the scopes are missing but there are wires..

I bet you this gun was re-fitted as another prop and then pulled again for this. Inset shots were done in the US in any corner they could throw the set it seems. Cantina set was in the UK, he's right, so what was available tended to be different

The blaster that's pulled in the scene isn't Ponda Baba's it's actually Dr. Evazans. On set Baba had different hands and a different blaster, you can see both along with Evazan's blaster on the ground in this set photo

As already stated, the severed-arm shot was an insert filmed later in the US. Considering the fact that Baba has complety different, wolf-like hands in the insert, I'm sure the crew wasn't too miffed with consistency and just grabbed a blaster, or maybe they too accidentally attributed the blaster being pulled in the shot to the arm that gets chopped, could explain the change to a fingered-hand too. There's a single-scoped variant as well, wielded by the stormtrooper in promo photos shot after filming, so the double-scoped might not have been avaliable after the cantina scene.

In-canon the single and double-scoped blasters are different variants of the se-14. The double-scoped Evazan wields is the se-14c, and the single-scoped from the stormtrooper promo photos is the se-14r. Wookieepedia links for both.

Pretty sure there's no in-universe explanation for why the blasters change (or Baba's hands for that matter). Think the crew just didn't anticipate we'd be picking it apart so hard 40 years later, but maybe we can pretend that the scope(s) just got cut off with the arm ;)

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• EY_U_IRWAAAk580.jpg
    EY_U_IRWAAAk580.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 136
  • download (19).jpeg
    download (19).jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 9e6d59430362ba5a420605c37d66d423--starship-troopers-vader-star-wars.jpg
    9e6d59430362ba5a420605c37d66d423--starship-troopers-vader-star-wars.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Thanks guys very informative reponses!
This place has some interesting screen used stuff, including, so they say, PBs screen used arm - looks pretty legit to me and it also gives the reason why his flipper changed to a werewolf hand.
Most sources say PBs blaster was the DL-21 which Baruopa linked above, most action figures show this too. I just looked again at the screencap and its definitely Evazans who pulls his blaster on Obi Wan, so thats defnitely his blaster next to the arm - except its been stripped down and the scopes removed. Kinda begs the question why did Obi Wan go for poor old Pondo when it was Evazans who was the aggressor!
All in all a real Frankenstein scene!!

that's interesting! :)
are you sure it's not the stunt cast used for the stormtrooper photos instead?
8.jpg

the details look very similar.

the one in the Cantina seems to have a thin trigger guard on all shots I can find

It does certainly look like a stunt cast from production. I always thought the main scene included a hard gun with thin trigger guard as well

nice! don't know where you got a screencap with so much detail in it. Even the 4k from starwarsscreencaps don't show those details.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back