Obi Wan ANH Lightsaber Build - AFBB

Very nice! One of my favourite sabers.

Thank you!

To shiny for my taste, but awsome work - same for the stand, it´s really good looking. :thumbsup

My thought process was "it's probably easier to go back later and add weathering then it would be to make everything pristine again"! :lol

I actually referenced your build quite a bit, Michael. Awesome job :thumbsup

Nicely done, mate! I was curious, what made you decide to put the transistors on top of the washers, instead of through them? Based on the reference I've seen, it seemed like they go through them, but I've seen a few builds that have them sitting on top instead...

Nicely done, mate! I was curious, what made you decide to put the transistors on top of the washers, instead of through them? Based on the reference I've seen, it seemed like they go through them, but I've seen a few builds that have them sitting on top instead...

As far as i remember there are 2 version of transistor, that might be the original one - one shorter and one longer version.

That might look as if some were put through and others on the washers - depending on the decision for which look you strive..

My thought process was "it's probably easier to go back later and add weathering then it would be to make everything pristine again"! :lol

As mentioned i´m not the shiny/afbb guy, but this looks so nice you should keep it that way. If you want a worn one, build a second. ;)

I actually referenced your build quite a bit, Michael. Awesome job :thumbsup

Thanks, that´s very kind of you. :)

As far as i remember there are 2 version of transistor, that might be the original one - one shorter and one longer version.

That might look as if some were put through and others on the washers - depending on the decision for which look you strive..
When I look at photos from both the Chronicles book and the large Tunisia photo, which would cover both "look" variations, I think they look the same height.

Anyway, I digress! That's just how I see it and how I'll put my saber parts... 2 cents

Last edited:
The way these transistors were made, the top has to sit on top of the washer. Otherwise the washer would slip right off :)

I know I said "this one is done"... but that doesn't mean anything, right? :lol

I made a couple of "improvements" today, as well as began down a path I hope I can accomplish. Two words: crystal chamber :love

For the improvements:

- Got some chrome tape for my clamp. I reached out to a local shop for a quote to have the clamp and transistors chromed, but haven't heard back from them... This will hold me over until I can get that done.

The first attempt with the tape didn't go over as well as I had hoped. The tape went on just fine, and it had a very nice look to it, but instead of trimming off the excess, I wrapped it around into the inside. This prevented the tape from laying as flat as it could have. Also, I didn't get the stamped lettering/lines coming through like I wanted. The second try went much better:

Chromeclamp.jpg

I trimmed the tape to the proper size first, then applied it to the clamp slowly, making sure all air bubbles were out. Then I used my fingernail to rub in the stamped "GRAFLEX" and lines. This worked much better

- Next I took some advice (partially) from James Kenobi 1138 from the North Texas prop party last weekend. He mentioned that my pommel didn't have the proper space between it and the booster. He gave a simple solution of wrapping a particular gauge of wire around the booster section (that inserts into the pommel) twice and then pushing the pommel on. Rather than doing that, I wanted to put a new toy to use :cool I had bought a tap and die set recently, so I decided to drill and tap a hole through the interior of the pommel and the booster, and connect the two using a set screw

Pommelboostersetscrew.jpg

Now I have the proper spacing! There is a little wiggle to it, so I will add a second screw 90 degrees from the first, eliminating the wiggle

- The last improvement I made concerned the emitter. It is an older machined version (Roman's/Gavidoc I believe) and I decided to customize it a bit. I took one of my countersink bits and my drill press, and drill out a cone into the center. The ring with holes will get painted black as well. (tried taking a picture of this, but the camera wouldn't focus correctly :facepalm)

Finally this brings me to my grand idea... I met Brad (slothfurnace) at the prop party as well, and if you haven't seen his work... You owe it to yourself to see it! (www.slothfurnace.com) He brought with him some of his sabers, including his current project: the Obi Wan reveal. Seeing this in person inspired me!

I don't have all the nifty toys he has (mill, lathe) but I think I can adapt some of the ideas to more basic methods. I started drawing out my ideas first, then put some into action. I won't even attempt a spring-loaded reveal (yet :love), but rather a static display that I can switch in and out of my current saber, so I will have both :)

So far, I drilled and tapped the bottom of the grenade for 8-32 rod, and got some hollow brass rod that slips over the threaded rod to give it a more finished look.

Grenadetapped.jpg

Proofofconcept.jpg

I also needed to figure out a way to join the upper assembly together, since the entire saber is bolted together on a single threaded rod. So I got a shorter threaded rod :) I still need to countersink the bolt head into the bottom of the grenade to make it flush.

Upperassembly.jpg

As you can see in the picture above, I also have a crystal :love

Crystal.jpg

It is an aqua aura quartz, slightly larger than a quarter inch in diameter, and about an inch and a quarter long. I still need to figure out how I'm going to work out the actual crystal chamber... I would like to get some 1" brass stock and see if I can machine it down a bit to my liking (similar to how Brad did his :thumbsup) I will also machine some "radiator fins" to finish out the look.

This is going to take some time... if I can even accomplish it with the few tools I have :lol

I think we met as well at the prop party. Brad's stuff is infectious for sure... I keep thinking up ways to make a "my own skill level" version.

Would love to see this when you're done.

I just got a very similar sized aqua aura for my Luke ANH build. Perfect crystal... also thanks to Brad for that tidbit.

Hate to resurrect a slightly old thread, but how did you get a D ring fitted into your pommel? It can't be all one piece, the metal loop, or that'd be a magicians trick, haha

is it just bent together with glue on the ends or something lol

Actually Russ sells the pommels with the D ring already attached. But you're on the right track, it isn't connected in the middle. It is bent, inserted, then bent back

Huh, for some reason that doesn't sound like it would stay.. :confused unless the ends were stuck together with something

may i ask where did u buy the acrylic stand pieces from for ur stand? i have the base made for my custom stand but don't know where to get the acrlyic arms for it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back