Noob painting question: how to mask off rounded areas

Nataku

Sr Member
The few times I've masked off rounded areas I did it by cutting a bunch of extremely small pieces of tape. I started thinking that there has to be an easier way. So, what is the easier way?

Electrical tape will completely change the way you mask off projects in the future. It's stretchy, sticky, flexible and keeps out the paint VERY well. Perfect for turning corners and round areas.
Plus it's cheap.

I wondered about electrical tape but wasn't sure if it would tear off paint that was already there.

I use a type of tape at work, we just call it "z tape". Its a little thinner than electrical tape but basically the same. I've been wanting to try that cause it will stretch better but it sticks more than electrical tape.

I've never found it to be any more harmful than masking or painters tape. With ANY tape, make sure the painted area you are masking is fully cured before coverage.

Tamiya masking tape. The yellow stuff. It beats electric tape like theirs no tomorrow. You can also use liquid masking tape, get the good Japanese stuff though.

Expensive though once imported.

3M also makes a few automotive masking tapes for doing flame jobs and things like that. Bit pricey, but works well. Basically use the thin tape to mask off the curve, then build up the rest of the mask with larger bits of tape once you've got the contour's outline masked off.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back