Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I guess... Cutting out the useless steps is better ;)

How do you make your rubber ? Is it another of your clearsole mix tinted with grey ?
Is it diluted enough to be applyed as a "normal paint" ?

want to give those badboy some white soles...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 962
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 1,158
Last edited:
How do you make your rubber ? Is it another of your clearsole mix tinted with grey ?
Is it diluted enough to be applyed as a "normal paint" ?

It is the same rubber as the clear soles and my letters. I just add a pre-mixed light grey pigment to it, then it let it set up well into gel state before applying it. If it is applied too soon, it comes out really smooth but will drip off the bottom which then needs sanding off. Too long and it gets really sticky, but is easier to get on the top of the rubber parts. That has to then fully cure before the splatter is done. I do the same thing with aqua pigment.

This is where timing is everything. The mix needs to be just right and it will clump and form the little texture lumps when it cures. Again, too runny and it forms wider splatters that tend to drip. To tacky and it might not come off the stick. What I found is that there is a about a 10min window to apply this stuff and I get a big glob on the stick, just touch it to the grey and pull it up fast. It wants to stick on contact, but strings as I lift it off. The result can be very fine dots and tails.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160205_120635-1.jpg
    20160205_120635-1.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 626
View attachment 587702 what do you think ?
I don't like them just wanted to throw them out there and get your thoughts on them.

They look too tall? I do like the strap across the laces.

hey people here's something else a little like MAGs ....
http://solecollector.com/news/nike-...+2+2016&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
one of every colour for me, please lol

These are pretty cool and it is about time we moved past string (shoe laces). Just wish they would have put the NIKE on the top strap instead of the tongue. I like how the SWOOSH is on the bottom strap.

Look great looking forward to you fitting them in mine [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

airair, these look amazing. How do you find the off axis brightness of the fake LEDs. I ditched the original filters I did because off axis, they were not bright. On axis, they were fine, but not as neat as yours.

If I am to buy this kit, I am going to need a new pair of MAGs. Mine now have a hole in the back just above the top of the heel cup.

- - - Updated - - -

While on the MAG inspired model subject: here's a mid cut version i wanted to see, basically took out the strap+buckle to make them shorter and modded the front of the collar a bit
View attachment 587882

Normally I am always saying that the MAGs are not tall enough, but I like it. So no strap here?

Last edited by a moderator:
While on the MAG inspired model subject: here's a mid cut version i wanted to see, basically took out the strap+buckle to make them shorter and modded the front of the collar a bit
View attachment 587882

here is my prototype of one of the design I made for a Mid Low Top Air Mag ^_^
I don't know if this is visible on the picture but there is some fake lether on the side under the swoosh
and the heel is reinforced and got some foam for the comfort :)

I've drawn several proto for this Mid top, but this one was the most easy to make from scratch
(and it is just to get an idea, I probably go for something else later)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2016-02-06 à 21.15.26.png
    Capture d’écran 2016-02-06 à 21.15.26.png
    468.5 KB · Views: 1,371
How about a strap that's stitched on one side and velcro'd on to the other? But still giving the seamless futuristic look. And it'd look awesome like its floating!

View attachment 588008View attachment 588008

yes a strap like that would work - I see on the actual shoe RVLF made here that the strap was placed across the front near the toes - I've had shoes like that and the strap there never did anything for me.
Sorry, for people here whose first language is not english, I mean the strap closer to the front did not help hold the shoe in place.

How about a strap that's stitched on one side and velcro'd on to the other? But still giving the seamless futuristic look. And it'd look awesome like its floating!

View attachment 588008View attachment 588008

Lose the strap or have it at an angle from the top of the heel cup (which would also have to change shape to work with a strap). When NIKE did those supposed MAG colourways using a Hyperdunk, the white part at the back should have had two vertical slots to allow the attachment of the strap.

- - - Updated - - -

here is my prototype of one of the design I made for a Mid Low Top Air Mag ^_^
I don't know if this is visible on the picture but there is some fake lether on the side under the swoosh
and the heel is reinforced and got some foam for the comfort :)

I've drawn several proto for this Mid top, but this one was the most easy to make from scratch
(and it is just to get an idea, I probably go for something else later)

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588009&d=1454811689

Make it wider. At least 3" wide and curved. Take a look at the Jordan 20. That shoe actually uses a pattern very similar to the MAG, but the strap covers the inner seam.

UPDATE: So to re-cap, when I made my new GITD bubbles, I wanted to see if it was possible to change the colour of the light by tinting the rubber that has the GLOW mixed in.

An earlier attempt of mixing clear red into green Glow gave me a horrid salmon colour that just glowed a dull green. Nothing exciting and certainly not so when not charged or looking at it under lit conditions.

So I made myself some clear red, yellow and green strips and back lit them with the cyan glow powder. The cyan seems to be brighter than the green and apparently blue glow powder is even brighter again. Will be buying a bag of that in the not so distant future.

attachment.php

What I got was not really what I had hoped for. The bubble itself was clear with the insert behind back lighting and it looked like this which is kind of the same colour as the straps with dark patches.

attachment.php

So it was suggested that maybe I make the bubble glow, but rather than leave the mix that nasty custard colour, I tinted this set yellow.

attachment.php

Which makes the bubbles glow green. Not perfect, but better than having the bubble cyan like the sole and straps. Only thing, the bright yellow looks like part of child's toy right now.

attachment.php

So sometime this week, I am going to repeat the process with clear red and hopefully I don't get a salmon colour again. It would be awesome if I got a more yellow glow.

attachment.php

The problem with the bubbles I have, is there simply is not enough glow from them. At least the soles glow bright considering the amount of light in the room at the time I took this shot.

Attachments

• 20160204_103004.jpg
    20160204_103004.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 741
  • 20160204_125043.jpg
    20160204_125043.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 806
  • 20160207_214134.jpg
    20160207_214134.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 787
  • 20160207_214152.jpg
    20160207_214152.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 751
  • 20160206_225534.jpg
    20160206_225534.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 727
Wider on the strap ?

For the bubble I think you should make it this way :
Layer 0 > A white reflective sheet (I use alminum glued to some cardboard) (the layer that is close to the fabric)
Layer 1 > GITD
Layer 2 > Colors stipes (but thiner if it is possible)
Layer 3 > Clear Bubble with a little amount of GITD (or nothing at all)

Then, sand or use some matte varnish on the clear area

And drop the yellow bubble ^_^

UPDATE: So to re-cap, when I made my new GITD bubbles, I wanted to see if it was possible to change the colour of the light by tinting the rubber that has the GLOW mixed in.

An earlier attempt of mixing clear red into green Glow gave me a horrid salmon colour that just glowed a dull green. Nothing exciting and certainly not so when not charged or looking at it under lit conditions.

So I made myself some clear red, yellow and green strips and back lit them with the cyan glow powder. The cyan seems to be brighter than the green and apparently blue glow powder is even brighter again. Will be buying a bag of that in the not so distant future.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588130&d=1454846401

What I got was not really what I had hoped for. The bubble itself was clear with the insert behind back lighting and it looked like this which is kind of the same colour as the straps with dark patches.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588131&d=1454846401

So it was suggested that maybe I make the bubble glow, but rather than leave the mix that nasty custard colour, I tinted this set yellow.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588132&d=1454846444

Which makes the bubbles glow green. Not perfect, but better than having the bubble cyan like the sole and straps. Only thing, the bright yellow looks like part of child's toy right now.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588133&d=1454846444

So sometime this week, I am going to repeat the process with clear red and hopefully I don't get a salmon colour again. It would be awesome if I got a more yellow glow.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588134&d=1454846477

The problem with the bubbles I have, is there simply is not enough glow from them. At least the soles glow bright considering the amount of light in the room at the time I took this shot.
Looks like a cool idea any progress on the heel cup and mid sole molding ?

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588130&d=1454846401

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588131&d=1454846401

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588132&d=1454846444

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588133&d=1454846444

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=588134&d=1454846477

i know your probably going back to GITD rather than EL but have you tried the El system you made with this new bubble? Could look mint?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back