Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jedifyfe he wears the leather jacket maroon shirt and fedora with the hoverboard in the later half of part 2 am I wrong?

Last edited:
@jedifyfe he wears the leather jacket maroon shirt and fedora with the hoverboard in the later

half of part 2 am I wrong?

No you are correct, I will be doing the 1955 bttf 2 outfit this Summer at London Comic-Con, got the fedora, perfecto jacket, Bruins etc oh and rayban wayfarers.

@jedifyfe he wears the leather jacket maroon shirt and fedora with the hoverboard in the later half of part 2 am I wrong?

Oh yeah, when he's boarding behind Biff. Not very recognizable cosplay for the layperson though.

MitasTouch the best option is to use all white LEDs and then color the acrylic/plastic. That way you can guarantee the same brightness from all bulbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I was speaking to a guy that does electronics for a living and he said the same thing.

Just had a look at some White LEDs and it seems like the drop voltage is always higher for this colour, maybe because white LEDs tend to be brighter?

For example, from the website jedifyfe posted....the yellows have a forward of 1.7v - 2.2v where as the whites are 3.6v. From my own experiences this would not be ideal for running off a 9v source. My green LEDs are 3.2v and as such don't last very long,

but when it comes to this sort of thing, I literally only know what I have learned from the trial and error of modding these shoes.

I would have posted this weeks ago for advice, but I tried to find some solutions myself.. no such luck.

Frankly, I'm very embarrassed that my toe slim didn't go well (at all) because I feel that I could have done a lot better if I had just been more cautious, and understood a bit more about the way it works.

Here I go. :(

I pryed apart the front of the shoe up until just before the laces. It was ridiculously difficult to get it to come apart with a kitchen knife, and it resulted in some material loss below the glue line. This doesn't bother me because it in theory.. wouldn't be seen.. I think. Maybe?

Here's my problem. I tried to glue it back into position and I put too much on and didn't manage to have it adhere. I was trying to push the midsole into the fabric to slim, I thought that it would just glue together.

I have a sizeable glue mark now. I think that I might be able to hide it under the midsole.. but even with the shoe in hand I can't tell for sure what technique will work.

The first attempt I tried here is the standard cut, trim and reglue, but at this point I think I would just take any technique so long as I don't lose the shoe. I would like to do a sock toe slim now, which may be more suitable considering the damage.

Here are some pics of my bad attempt:

20150219_133205.jpg

20150219_133216.jpg

20150219_133152.jpg

I wish there was a way for me to fix it. The fabric is very taught and will not stretch until the ideal point. :( Maybe if I remove the foam padding underneath. Thoughts?

How stuck down is that now? When you say "foam", are you referring to the rubber toe cap? if you can separate the fabric, maybe a cotton bud with some acetone might get the glue mark off the front of the mid-sole. Be careful though as acetone will remove the splatter if it runs. I don't think there is anything you can do with the glue on the fabric. It bites in and you can't remove it.

I would have posted this weeks ago for advice, but I tried to find some solutions myself.. no such luck.

Frankly, I'm very embarrassed that my toe slim didn't go well (at all) because I feel that I could have done a lot better if I had just been more cautious, and understood a bit more about the way it works.

Here I go. :(

I pryed apart the front of the shoe up until just before the laces. It was ridiculously difficult to get it to come apart with a kitchen knife, and it resulted in some material loss below the glue line. This doesn't bother me because it in theory.. wouldn't be seen.. I think. Maybe?

Here's my problem. I tried to glue it back into position and I put too much on and didn't manage to have it adhere. I was trying to push the midsole into the fabric to slim, I thought that it would just glue together.

I have a sizeable glue mark now. I think that I might be able to hide it under the midsole.. but even with the shoe in hand I can't tell for sure what technique will work.

The first attempt I tried here is the standard cut, trim and reglue, but at this point I think I would just take any technique so long as I don't lose the shoe. I would like to do a sock toe slim now, which may be more suitable considering the damage.

Here are some pics of my bad attempt:

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/delorean1981/Mobile Uploads/20150219_133205.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/delorean1981/Mobile Uploads/20150219_133216.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/delorean1981/Mobile Uploads/20150219_133152.jpg

I wish there was a way for me to fix it. The fabric is very taught and will not stretch until the ideal point. :( Maybe if I remove the foam padding underneath. Thoughts?

You can definitely salvage that

Unglue it.
Then unstitch the 2 grey layers.
Heat it up with an iron the top grey layer using a plain cloth and then iron over it.
That should soften the toecap thing in there.

You should be able to peel off the toecap thing thats stuck inbetween the grey layers.

If you think you need more stretch, just take some of the foamy layer out from the grey fabric.

I'm sure you can salvage that provided you take that toecap piece thats stuck in between the grey fabric layers.

The next step in my quest to be as close to the RDs as possible has happened, finally got my hands on some new straps.

20150319_180923.jpg
Lights off compared with the old one....

20150319_183444.jpg

And them both finished. Probably the closest to the RDs you could get, they are paper thin and the Nike fits in perfectly.

Can't take any credit for these, there's a guy on eBay selling GITD ones for the HCs. Messaged him to see if he would sell me some without any so i could put EL in.

Excited to add Cavx's clear soles to these, and hoping my scratch uppers come out alright.

You can definitely salvage that

Unglue it.
Then unstitch the 2 grey layers.
Heat it up with an iron the top grey layer using a plain cloth and then iron over it.
That should soften the toecap thing in there.

You should be able to peel off the toecap thing thats stuck inbetween the grey layers.

If you think you need more stretch, just take some of the foamy layer out from the grey fabric.

I'm sure you can salvage that provided you take that toecap piece thats stuck in between the grey fabric layers.

I sure hope so. I'd hate to think I lost these bad boys. :'(

So, remove the foam layer between the grey fabric? How far back should I go?

I sure hope so. I'd hate to think I lost these bad boys. :'(

So, remove the foam layer between the grey fabric? How far back should I go?

go back so you you think you will have enough fabric to stretch.
You can see below, the fabric has 2 grey layers.

The top layer is the thickest, the grey fabric is stuck to some foam layer.

The bottom layer is the thinnest, its just grey fabric stuck to some other plain fabric.

In between these layers will be a rigid toecap piece which goes soft when its heated.
If you've opened these two grey layers, you will see it. Just hairdryer it and peel it off.

Then, depending on how much grey fabric you think you will need to stretch, take out some of the foam underneath the top grey layer.
If you see my picture below, you can see that the grey fabric peels off the foam backing if you do it carefully.

Its up to you how much foam you think you might want to peel off. If you think you can stretch the grey fabric without even needing to remove the foam, you could try that, but without some of the foam, you should be able to stretch the top layer of grey much easier.

You need to be very careful when glueing back down.

magv2foamlayers_zps4hz1jvvs.jpg

YAY! Used RPF user Markpoon NIKE MAG kits to mod my Halloween Costume store shoes. So excited to wear them out now! 110% better :D

Have a question, has anyone that has the HC store shoes noticed when you are charging them and turn one of the shoes on that the lights are dim on one of the shoes? I noticed one of my shoes was less brighter than the other, I am referring to the soles and side lights on the shoes. Then when I shut off the lights as they are still charging and turn them on after awhile the dimmer shoe lights are brighter.

Just want to see what others think to see if I am facing a possible malfunctioning shoe. I sure hope not. I tore out the HC straps and added in my own, and added the NIKE MAG and Swoosh logos from the kit, can't exactly easily return them and exchange them at this point.

unnamed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back