Back to the Future Class-5 Vest Replica

MitasTouch

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This project thread is dedicated to the construction of a replica of the Class-5 down vest from MJF’s costume in Back to the Future. Let me start it off by saying this is all possible because TheNickFox has generously created accurate patterns taken from a genuine vest and sells those patterns on Etsy and the pack includes patterns from size XS to XL. My vest will be a size Medium. Which is the accurate size from the movie. So this project is possible for anyone given you find some decently matching fabric and snap fasteners.
D1E1874E-856A-4D0A-9F3E-5996679C0337.png

C3F8B094-876D-4EB9-8D74-0FD6848D1D9E.jpeg

If you are new at trying to acquire a replica, the screen used vest is from a company called Class-5. For decades no one knew where it came from and it was eventually discovered. Many companies have offered replicas over the years. Most being pretty underwhelming or straight up terrible. Headgoonie currently makes the best replica out there but their stocks are limited. They however are not immune from scrutiny as it is a good replica, but not perfect. This project will hopefully result in one of the best out there like Nick himself owns after putting his patterns to good use for his personal collection.

I had to start this project by finding a suitable fabric first. I was able to acquire a vintage sleeping bag that is extremely close and I believe will do nicely. If you happen to find a sleeping bag actually from Class-5, that would work even better. They are very rare though.
A39686A9-DA2C-4B14-A856-B529AF2B2E90.jpeg

E29B7094-0422-467E-8AD1-2016485B7D06.jpeg

I have contacted a local custom clothing and cosplay shop to take on the project and am awaiting their response. My next hurdle is nailing down the snap fasteners. They are a unique design and I am in the middle of getting to the bottom of this. And as far as I know, I am the only person to take on this project other than Nick himself. If you’re reading this and that is not true, feel free to correct me in the comments lol. I will be accepting his help in the future if I ever need it as stuff like this can be delicate and difficult to get right. Certain information may need to be passed onto the seamstress.
6EFE6B08-FBA9-4405-9F49-60ED30EEF445.jpeg

The sleeping bag will arrive in about 3 days. At which point I will remove all of the stitching, disassemble it, and wash and dry the fabric to get out the wrinkles. I’ll do a test print of the Medium pattern so see how it all lays out and post pictures when I get to that point.

Last edited:
This project thread is dedicated to the construction of a replica of the Class-5 down vest from MJF’s costume in Back to the Future. Let me start it off by saying this is all possible because TheNickFox has generously created accurate patterns taken from a genuine vest and sells those patterns on Etsy and the pack includes patterns from size XS to XL. My vest will be a size Medium. Which is the accurate size from the movie. So this project is possible for anyone given you find some decently matching fabric and snap fasteners.
View attachment 1759427
View attachment 1759431
If you are new at trying to acquire a replica, the screen used vest is from a company called Class-5. For decades no one knew where it came from and it was eventually discovered. Many companies have offered replicas over the years. Most being pretty underwhelming or straight up terrible. Headgoonie currently makes the best replica out there but their stocks are limited. They however are not immune from scrutiny as it is a good replica, but not perfect. This project will hopefully result in one of the best out there like Nick himself owns after putting his patterns to good use for his personal collection.

I had to start this project by finding a suitable fabric first. I was able to acquire a vintage sleeping bag that is extremely close and I believe will do nicely. If you happen to find a sleeping bag actually from Class-5, that would work even better. They are very rare though.
View attachment 1759428
View attachment 1759429

I have contacted a local custom clothing and cosplay shop to take on the project and am awaiting their response. My next hurdle is nailing down the snap fasteners. They are a unique design and I am in the middle of getting to the bottom of this. And as far as I know, I am the only person to take on this project other than Nick himself. If you’re reading this and that is not true, feel free to correct me in the comments lol. I will be accepting his help in the future if I ever need it as stuff like this can be delicate and difficult to get right. Certain information may need to be passed onto the seamstress.
View attachment 1759430

The sleeping bag will arrive in about 3 days. At which point I will remove all of the stitching, disassemble it, and wash and dry the fabric to get out the wrinkles. I’ll do a test print of the Medium pattern so see how it all lays out and post pictures when I get to that point.
I wouldn’t recommend washing the fabric after unstitching. It has a tendency to unravel.

You could sew stay stitching along the edge to minimize that, but it will reduce your usable fabric amount by your seam allowance.

My recommendation would be spot treating and a cool iron to get the fabric prepped. Additionally you’ll want to use the tip of a needle to run along the warp and weft anywhere you pulled out a stitch to help move the fibers back into place and hide the stitch holes before any washing and ironing.

I wouldn’t recommend washing the fabric after unstitching. It has a tendency to unravel.

You could sew stay stitching along the edge to minimize that, but it will reduce your usable fabric amount by your seam allowance.

My recommendation would be spot treating and a cool iron to get the fabric prepped. Additionally you’ll want to use the tip of a needle to run along the warp and weft anywhere you pulled out a stitch to help move the fibers back into place and hide the stitch holes before any washing and ironing.
Good call. I’ll probably throw the whole thing in the washer and dryer before any disassembly. And iron out any remaining wrinkles.

That vest looks real nice ;)

I have an older headgoonie vest and I don’t know if they’ve made it more accurate but the one I got is too bright compared to the real deal. That fabric you’re using looks like a good match since it’s a bit darker from what I can tell in those pictures.

If anyone knows where I can find this style of snap fasteners I would really appreciate it. Headgoonie found a good match. It’s a very unique style that I haven’t seen in any other clothing item and is not showing up in any of my searches
C57B2DDD-3686-4A8B-9FCD-623CD149B011.jpeg
0031AEBA-1550-4E82-9DF5-CA1CE77494B5.jpeg
0031AEBA-1550-4E82-9DF5-CA1CE77494B5.jpeg
F1D03486-54BD-4F24-A498-74DB6FECC1F1.jpeg

This is the other side of the snap.
60E314D5-A894-41D1-A29A-F11ECF1FF42F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey there...just saw this thread... Looks like I'm gonna be following this road in the near future... I wanna know if you or Nick can break down the material so i can gather data and try to pursue it first... What's the color, the name of material? polyester? Nylon? the filling? was it "dacron"? Any useable information will be most welcome :)

So the sleeping bag I wanted to use for this project ended up not being a good match. It’s way too slick and has sort of a waffle pattern imbedded into the fabric. I however recently acquired a Class-5 coat that I can use.
9DBC5336-C9EB-4943-AF45-287B5A6B441D.jpeg

Last edited:
I was able to purchase this vest. It’s a size Large.
742EF958-3A2E-4368-BF65-1B10DEBB11D1.jpeg
DECEEA40-D1CB-4EFC-9711-B761C7360D11.jpeg
I perhaps might be able to work on this vest to modify the collar and trade it for another genuine Class-5 vest, but that is still being worked out. If I cannot succeed in the deal, then I will use this vest and the coat I have to make a full Medium for myself.

Someone’s selling an exact class 5 vest on the bay at the moment, ya know… if you have over 3.5 Grand burning a hole in your Guess Marciano jacket pocket.
IMG_8743.jpeg

Someone’s selling an exact class 5 vest on the bay at the moment, ya know… if you have over 3.5 Grand burning a hole in your Guess Marciano jacket pocket. View attachment 1774443
Lol yeah I’m aware of it. He is selling it for more than I purchased my Mexican Guess jacket for. It will never sell for the price he set. I expect it to be relisted multiple times until the price is something rational and not outrageous.

So this project has taken a turn. I was unable to find any local tailor to make this vest for me. However recently I have acquired a genuine Medium Class-5 vest in tan and I have sent it to Magnoli Clothiers for reverse engineering to update their own model. I do posses some genuine burnt orange fabric, but I will see how theirs looks in comparison when their final model is finished. As of right now their pattern makers should have only just received it, so it will be some time before we see the results.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back