Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messing around with different adhessives for a more permanent bond for strap re-gluing. So far the stuff I've tried at the fabric stores don't really hold up to the stress. Anyone have any other suggestions besides straight super glue? I haven't tested the loctite fabric glue yet I suppose that's next on the list.

Use some adhesive for leather/vinyl or any decent clear contact adhesive. Use contact adhesive on both sides of the strap that are to be glued, let it dry slightly and then slowly stick together. You don't need to slap on a lot of glue, just sort of brush it on or use some thin card and evenly spread it around, taking care around the cutout bit where the logo will go.
Put just enough so that when you press the strap together, it won't bubble out onto the logo.

What i've found though is that you can easily pull it off anyway, as it dries quickly and becomes rubbery. So i'd go for a clear contact adhesive and use that. Its what I use and it gets a good finish. Even if you find bits or areas not sticking, you can always go back later and use a card and just put a little bit on and wait to dry and press together. Works perfectly every time.

Its much cleaner than using any spray glue and a far better permanent finish.

Absolutely. The cost of casting rubber and mould materials can quickly build up. On top of that, you have to look at things such as degassing to avoid bubbles and other issues.
Its not as simple as first thought!

He did a tremendous job though with the castings. Really professional finish. Its definitely something to aspire to, to take that sort of ingenuity and make your own version.

And his work did inspire me. An off the self Vacuum Chamber can cost anywhere up to $2K. I had the chamber made and sourced all the parts, so a total of less than $500. So far I have spend just over $2K on molding and casting materials.

How much was it?

Don't remember exactly how much, but apparently way more than anyone was prepared to spend at the time.

Last edited:
20150212_234121.jpg

So last night I primed one of my shoes ready to be painted this weekend.....and couldn't help feeling that they actually look pretty nice with the plain white midsole.

Definitely tempted by the idea of a custom shoe involving a white midsole......taking inspiration from jedifyfe's boba mags....maybe some kind of stormtooper mags?.....we'll see.

Last edited:
nike-mag-v2-mod-discussion-page-58-shopping-list-20150212_234121-jpg-438503d1423819312

So last night I primed one of my shoes ready to be painted this weekend.....and couldn't help feeling that they actually look pretty nice with the plain white midsole.

Definitely tempted by the idea of a custom shoe involving a white midsole......taking inspiration from jedifyfe's boba mags....maybe some kind of stormtooper mags?.....we'll see.

The lighter sole makes a night/day difference with these shoes. TK boots have a black sole. I get where you are going with that though. The light grey just makes them.

Are you changing out the laces to be thinner too? Will you do a tongue mod as well?

Makes you wonder if Chinese didn't use this shot for their colour reference and why the V2/HC has a darker mid-sole.
attachment.php

Attachments

• fR8io.jpg
    fR8io.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 553
The lighter sole makes a night/day difference with these shoes. TK boots have a black sole. I get where you are going with that though. The light grey just makes them.

Are you changing out the laces to be thinner too? Will you do a tongue mod as well?

Makes you wonder if Chinese didn't use this shot for their colour reference and why the V2/HC has a darker mid-sole.
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=438535&d=1423830693

Yeah I am doing a full tongue mod and lace change. Opened up the sides and removed the foam too so hopefully the ribs should be flatter. Then going to pull the ribs in tighter so the whole shoe should look a little less fat, I did that before and it made a lot of difference.

I often wonder what images the Chinese looked at to make the V2s, because in so many ways they are very good....and others just so wrong.

Yeah I am doing a full tongue mod and lace change. Opened up the sides and removed the foam too so hopefully the ribs should be flatter. Then going to pull the ribs in tighter so the whole shoe should look a little less fat, I did that before and it made a lot of difference.

So where did you open the shoe from? Yeah your laces on that shoe look way more flatter without the bulge of the factory look.

often wonder what images the Chinese looked at to make the V2s, because in so many ways they are very good....and others just so wrong.

I don't think they had access to the real shoe. They have made what they did from images like the one I posted above.

So where did you open the shoe from? Yeah your laces on that shoe look way more flatter without the bulge of the factory look.

Put a knife inside the fabric by the top lacing rib and then just cut down. Picked the stitching out and then gently opened it. Then you have to peel the fabric apart, which was a little scary as I thought I might end up ripping something.

Weirdly the ribs go all the way down to the midsole on the outside of the shoe, but stop just at the top on the inside. Haven't fully decided yet but I think I am going to put mine in so that they go fully from one side to the other, hoping that it will help to shape the shoe,

Part of me wishes they could do a fully accurate shoe, but on the other hand I'm actually having a lot of fun with these mods...:D

Put a knife inside the fabric by the top lacing rib and then just cut down. Picked the stitching out and then gently opened it. Then you have to peel the fabric apart, which was a little scary as I thought I might end up ripping something.

Cutting these shoes (the fabric) scares me just a bit too much and why I have not done the ultimate toe slim (removing the toe box completely). Your toe slim is look really good too BTW.

Weirdly the ribs go all the way down to the midsole on the outside of the shoe, but stop just at the top on the inside. Haven't fully decided yet but I think I am going to put mine in so that they go fully from one side to the other, hoping that it will help to shape the shoe,

Can't help out there, sorry.
Part of me wishes they could do a fully accurate shoe, but on the other hand I'm actually having a lot of fun with these mods...:D

Yeah modding can be addictive but it would be awesome if these were that bit closer to the RD.

Cutting these shoes (the fabric) scares me just a bit too much and why I have not done the ultimate toe slim (removing the toe box completely). Your toe slim is look really good too BTW.

Cheers man, that means a lot. It was just repeated steam slimming using a wet bandana to cover the toe as this really got the heat into it.

I want to do the full toe slim, but honestly I cant seem to get the mid sole and fabric to separate at all. Have tried many times with heat and other tools but it just doesn't want to. So just repeatedly steamed it until it was in a shape I liked.

I am still seriously hoping airair manages to get some results from the factory, like you said it would be awesome if just a few things were closer.

Cheers man, that means a lot. It was just repeated steam slimming using a wet bandana to cover the toe as this really got the heat into it.

I might have to go over mine again then. They are starting to look boofy again and you can see the end of the toe box rubber part. They don't sit as flat as they did when I first did them.

I want to do the full toe slim, but honestly I cant seem to get the mid sole and fabric to separate at all. Have tried many times with heat and other tools but it just doesn't want to. So just repeatedly steamed it until it was in a shape I liked.

Really? At one time, I glued my fabric down on the side as it was appearing to separate on its own.

I am still seriously hoping airair manages to get some results from the factory, like you said it would be awesome if just a few things were closer.

If the Chinese really can't do the folded hole properly, then I would rather get them with the same 'round" hole the HCs have and then unpick, nip/tuck/fold and glue myself. It is not hard, just time consuming. And I guess they don't want to spend the time it takes to do it right. One of mine split a bit past the stitching and I stopped it from fraying by dabbing a bit of superglue on the edges.

Someone actually modded this hole on a pair of V2s and it looked really good.

Someone actually modded this hole on a pair of V2s and it looked really good.

I saw that the other day and was considering it, didn't they also put foam inside to help stiffen the upper a little? I can see myself attempting this mod in the future.

This is how I'm hoping mine will look pretty soon, photoshop is great for showing how things might turn out.......but not so good for doing the splatter apparently.

20150212_234121.jpg

I saw that the other day and was considering it, didn't they also put foam inside to help stiffen the upper a little? I can see myself attempting this mod in the future.

This is how I'm hoping mine will look pretty soon, photoshop is great for showing how things might turn out.......but not so good for doing the splatter apparently.

View attachment 438551

I read a Toothbrush is best for splatter?

If you actually look at the splatter on the screen used shoes, they are more like the splatter we see on the recent batch of HC shoes. Rather than long wispy lines, the screen used just have small splatters and a few lines here and there, but nothing like the long twirly lines we see on the 2011 and V2 shoes.

The screen used shoe also seems to be much more brighter Aqua/cyan colour has been used, instead of the darker one on 2011 and the almost green on V2.

So i got on with the tongue mod tonight....wow, definitely one of the trickier ones i've done.

Not the greatest at sewing but feel like i didn't do too badly.
20150213_212913.jpg

Ordered some 'clear blue' model paint for my soles and new elastic for my laces so should have one complete shoe next week some time.

Just need to master that damn splatter, got some teal nail polish to try once the grey on the mid sole is finished.

Also, can't decide if the mid-sole is grey enough, it looks awesome in real life but i feel like it could be a bit less white.

Last edited:
So i got on with the tongue mod tonight....wow, definitely one of the trickier ones i've done.

Not the greatest at sewing but feel like i didn't do too badly.
nike-mag-v2-mod-discussion-page-58-shopping-list-20150213_212913-jpg-438733d1423863335

Ordered some 'clear blue' model paint for my soles and new elastic for my laces so should have one complete shoe next week some time.

Just need to master that damn splatter, got some teal nail polish to try once the grey on the mid sole is finished.

Also, can't decide if the mid-sole is grey enough, it looks awesome in real life but i feel like it could be a bit less white.

Yeah this looking awesome! How did you attach it to the shoe? If I was to do this mod again, I would add or extend the 3rd part to form a small tab to the base, fold it under and glue it to the fabric. I cut my original tongues to sew mine in and don't feel that is necessary now.

Yep, splatter is an art form. It looks chunky if they come out too thick as some of mine did. Lucky for me, mine are rubber and it is possible to pick some of them off without disturbing the grey base of the mid-sole. I've also been able to break some of the longer streaks into smaller parts with the same method to give them more a dotted look than streak look. I found that I can also mix more rubber, let it gel and add it later in very small dabs to create dots. This process takes about an hour.

For splatter look at tutorials for using a drinking straw to do splatter paint on nails. A steep angle should get pretty close to the RD look. A friend of mine who is a professional nail artist recommends coffee stirrer straws.-Nick

For splatter look at tutorials for using a drinking straw to do splatter paint on nails. A steep angle should get pretty close to the RD look. A friend of mine who is a professional nail artist recommends coffee stirrer straws.-Nick

Agreed a coffee stirrer is great tool for this. It also depends on how much material you have on the end of the stick. How high above the shoe the stick is. How much angle you have and even the ambient room temp all play a part as to how well it streams off the end or falls in a lump

Apparently at some point I've drawn this in Sketch Up and shared it here. It was converted to a bit map for all to use. Supposedly, you print this 1:1 and it is all good.

Today I printed it and I am wondering now, did it fit?

Right now I have US8, US9.5 and US13 on hand it will not fit any of those sizes. To fit, I will have to re-draw it.

Attachments

• EL Sole.jpg
    EL Sole.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 70
Yeah this looking awesome! How did you attach it to the shoe? If I was to do this mod again, I would add or extend the 3rd part to form a small tab to the base, fold it under and glue it to the fabric. I cut my original tongues to sew mine in and don't feel that is necessary now.

Cheers man, I'm really happy with how this looks. Long tongue makes a massive difference.

I cut a piece to go over the laces part first, the had planned to just slip the main tongue over the existing one, but this wasn't working. So i kinda drastically, cut the tongue off and used it for padding for the new tongue then sewed it all back on. If i had known it would be like this i would have done all the stitching first then attached it to the shoe. Probably go back and do this when i have a few spare hours, just to tidy it all up.

Today might be taken up with bringing my left shoe to the same level as my right one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back