NIKE MAG Knockoffs

You should go back and actually read the threads, multiple people have posted their pictures. I don't plan to take any half measures with the midsoles. When I get a pair that fit me I'll cast them in clear urethane. For now, I may redo the uppers on these for practice, paint the soles grey with the blue flecks, and make a new strap. No electronics.

You should go back and actually read the threads, multiple people have posted their pictures. I don't plan to take any half measures with the midsoles. When I get a pair that fit me I'll cast them in clear urethane. For now, I may redo the uppers on these for practice, paint the soles grey with the blue flecks, and make a new strap. No electronics.

What kind of dye would you use on the soles? BTW I'm VERY surprised that yours don't fit very well. I have a pair of 11s in the same silver, and I'm usually an 11 1/2-12 (depending on shoe obviously) lol, and mine fit fine. Hopefully the new V2s will fit good for you

What kind of dye would you use on the soles? BTW I'm VERY surprised that yours don't fit very well. I have a pair of 11s in the same silver, and I'm usually an 11 1/2-12 (depending on shoe obviously) lol, and mine fit fine. Hopefully the new V2s will fit good for you

As that video from that guy months ago pointed out at least one of his shoes had its size mislabeled, even though it was the same as the other.

...Maybe that's what happened to you, Risu. They "12s" may have actually been a smaller size mislabeled.

Get some revenge by tearing those puppies up and seeing how they work! At the very least you might be able to make a display pair, or even a set to sell off to fund the next set. :lol

-Nick

I was in my car the other day and noticed my grey headliner has nearly IDENTICAL fabric to the real shoes. Has anyone made this connection before?

todd

As that video from that guy months ago pointed out at least one of his shoes had its size mislabeled, even though it was the same as the other.

...Maybe that's what happened to you, Risu. They "12s" may have actually been a smaller size mislabeled.

Get some revenge by tearing those puppies up and seeing how they work! At the very least you might be able to make a display pair, or even a set to sell off to fund the next set. :lol

-Nick

This is a very true story. I totally forgot about that video. LoL :lol

It doesn't use laces, it uses a metal strip wire that tightens when you turn the disc. I know this because a lot of snowboarding boots nowadays use the disc. So the idea hasn't gone forgotten it just hasn't been used on regular shoes.

I first saw PUMA Disc on an episode of Beyond 2000 back in 1991 and they even used the 12 or 13 second clip from BTTF to promote it. The shoe was also one of the first to promote the idea that laces need to extend to the sole on each of the foot or the shoe sags. Hi-Tops were still popular at the time but AFAIK, PUMA only release the Disc on running shoes.

At the time, I had a pair of NIKE AIR PRESSURE (probably NIKE's most elaborate shoe apart from the MAG) and they suffered this sag at the sides of the shoe between the laces and the mid-sole. Even though they used conventional shoe laces, they used a very practical lace system they called "speed lace" which comprised of slots, not holes for the laces to pass. You simply pulled the laces and they did themselves up very tight.

Imaging that, passing a flat profile lace through a rectangular slot instead of having it twist and bunch up passing through a round hole :facepalm

Well, the mags have arrived, and the size 12 fit like 10.5, maybe 11 narrow. The ankles also have so much padding in them that it takes me 10 minutes to get the straps closed. That wouldn't be a problem, except that my toes go right to the end of the shoe. No modifying for me. I guess I'll wait until the new ones come out and then get some size 13s.

That strap and buckle will take a hammering. Mine were also really tight at first partly because of the foam in the collar and the fact I was concerned about breaking something. I just rip'em through now and they do up really good. The foam will compress over time as well.

I eMailed Sbshoe.com and asked when the new v2 Mags are coming out. This is what they replied: "Sorry friend we haven't got the news"

Seems like the suppliers don't know much about the v2s or they're just not giving out the info.

It is a safe bet that they are not coming at all. The only way to make this happen is to go right to the manufacture with heaps of interest from MANY people. Inquires from just one person is not enough. They need to know that they will sell these to re-coupe the production costs. If they really did make 1M units (even if they are 1/4M for each colour) and even though the molds are made and it is really just a material change, you will probably find they are looking for orders in the 1000's to do this.

Hey guys, new to this forum and all but I thought id add my bit. Bought a pair of the silver mags and they are really comfortable and worth the money. Although not greatly accurate, they make apretty good base shoe. I got inspired from a few threads and have since started modifying my pair so I can have a wearable and durable pair of mags for a fraction of the cost. So far I've made 2new straps and fitted the EL tape and NIKE logo and they are both fully functional. I have also prepared the shoe for EL installation under the waffle sole on the side by removing the shoe upper from the sole and heating and peeling the waffle sole away. Ive also cut away at the sole for the batteries and driver. I dont know whether to bother with the leds in the heel cup or not as the position is different and there isn't a lot of room to incorporate them and have them for everyday use.

It is a safe bet that they are not coming at all. The only way to make this happen is to go right to the manufacture with heaps of interest from MANY people. Inquires from just one person is not enough. They need to know that they will sell these to re-coupe the production costs. If they really did make 1M units (even if they are 1/4M for each colour) and even though the molds are made and it is really just a material change, you will probably find they are looking for orders in the 1000's to do this.
I think so too, well now that I'm going to get replica Mags. What color do you think I should get, white or silver?

I got white simply because I could not bring myself to own another pair of these shoes with **** yellow soles.

I got white simply because I could not bring myself to own another pair of these shoes with **** yellow soles.
I was thinking of spray painting the sole blue with that Tamiya Spray Paint. Would that be a good idea? And also, I noticed on the authentic Mags the elastic strap on the top base of the shoe show less and on the fakes they're wider. Can this be adjusted?

Sure if you want to spend time modding them, go right ahead. Because they are made from thick vinyl or PVC, modding the shoe (profile of the toe, changing the elastic straps, replacing the sole etc) will not be as easy as say mods to the Mark Poon shoes. There are many things 'wrong' with these that should be of concern than the thickness of the elastic used as laces. But hey, if you just want to be wear these shoes, then this is the most cost effective way at this time.

Sure if you want to spend time modding them, go right ahead. Because they are made from thick vinyl or PVC, modding the shoe (profile of the toe, changing the elastic straps, replacing the sole etc) will not be as easy as say mods to the Mark Poon shoes. There are many things 'wrong' with these that should be of concern than the thickness of the elastic used as laces. But hey, if you just want to be wear these shoes, then this is the most cost effective way at this time.
I literally have no experience so there is no way I'm taking the shoe apart. I just wanted to get some Frog Tape and tape the borders of the sole and just spray paint it. Thought it would be quick and fairly easy.

It should be fairly straight forward then and I think the silver shoes would be 100% with a different colour sole.
attachment.php

A few pages back, a member posted this image which is a photo-shopped image of the white shoes.

Step 1 for me is to replace the ankle strap and I am also making a new 'buckle' for the strap as well. How good that turns out will remain to be seen, but I am getting help for that part, so I feel confident that it should work out well.

I'd like to change the colour to a grey, but unless I get a new die cut swoosh in white, I will have to leave the swoosh black which will still look OK.

It should be fairly straight forward then and I think the silver shoes would be 100% with a different colour sole.
attachment.php

A few pages back, a member posted this image which is a photo-shopped image of the white shoes.

Step 1 for me is to replace the ankle strap and I am also making a new 'buckle' for the strap as well. How good that turns out will remain to be seen, but I am getting help for that part, so I feel confident that it should work out well.

I'd like to change the colour to a grey, but unless I get a new die cut swoosh in white, I will have to leave the swoosh black which will still look OK.
That seems like an even better idea than mine, haha. But, what do you think you could use the get the white to the gray color? Because everything of the white Mags are closer to the real ones except for the shoe color itself.

That seems like an even better idea than mine, haha. But, what do you think you could use the get the white to the gray color? Because everything of the white Mags are closer to the real ones except for the shoe color itself.

Well not really the same. The shoe is supposed to be grey, not white and it should have a white swoosh, not a black one. I am getting NIKE logos die cut soon for the BTTF inspired bag I am making, so will just order two white swooshes at the same time. I could get that file converted to DXF for laser cutting and make as many swooshes as I like from the master.

As for a colour change, not sure at this stage. I did a search for dying vinyl and PVC shoes and boots and the results came back that you are supposed to boil the dye and shoes :eek Not sure I want to go there as it changes all the shoe including the inside. There must me a surface dyes or paints that will work here.

I own several NIKE and Jordan shoes and most of them use paint on the midsole. Looks nice when new, but after a few wears, cracks appear in the paint, so I guess one could do the same to these shoes and touch up when they look a bit tired.

Well not really the same. The shoe is supposed to be grey, not white and it should have a white swoosh, not a black one. I am getting NIKE logos die cut soon for the BTTF inspired bag I am making, so will just order two white swooshes at the same time. I could get that file converted to DXF for laser cutting and make as many swooshes as I like from the master.

As for a colour change, not sure at this stage. I did a search for dying vinyl and PVC shoes and boots and the results came back that you are supposed to boil the dye and shoes :eek Not sure I want to go there as it changes all the shoe including the inside. There must me a surface dyes or paints that will work here.

I own several NIKE and Jordan shoes and most of them use paint on the midsole. Looks nice when new, but after a few wears, cracks appear in the paint, so I guess one could do the same to these shoes and touch up when they look a bit tired.
Now I'm having a hard time deciding, because I feel that the white Mags look nicer, but the silver Mags are more like the real thing. But, the silver Mags look to shiny and not a flat color like the real ones. So I can't really decide....

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back