NIKE MAG Knockoffs

That's funny. He made it sound like stock was low and if I didn't buy right now, I'd miss out. Yet he wouldn't say how many were made or how many were available.

I bought some clear blue spray paint and had a go on one of my "test" soles. What do you guys think?

Dsc04499.jpg

Dsc04500.jpg

Dsc04501.jpg

Wow! That actually coated much better than I would have thought. A definite improvement over the yellow sole inserts! Great job.

Now throw some EL behind those puppies so we can really see them rock.

-Nick

I bought some clear blue spray paint and had a go on one of my "test" soles. What do you guys think?

Looks as good or better than what SO2 was doing with all the trouble of removing the yellow part and soaking in bleach and all that. Will it let the EL paper shine through?

It's amazing how big of a difference there is between outdoor and indoor lighting on those things. The blue sole changes the entire look of it.

What's your plan? Leave em, strip em, try again?

If you're looking for other ideas for mods, I know sneakerheads have developed a UV activated bath (With Oxiclean and other chemicals in it) to de-yellow soles. Might be a tad extreme though.

-Nick

That looks very cool. OK so the blue EL is darker, but what about white EL behind the blue? I think it looks so much better that the yellow sole.

Anyone receive their kwaibay shoes yet?
What are you guys doing about the nike strap? is anyone selling JUSt the vinyl cut outs for these? If so, are the nike parts universal and fit close enough for all shoes and sizes?

My kwaibay shoes are supposedly in customs in San Francisco. They got there first thing Saturday morning, so I'm assuming they won't move until tomorrow.

The silver ones. In the long run, the silver and white both work for the conversion, but I want them to look at least slightly like the Mags until I strip them down. I want to wear them once or twice before I get started.

The next step for me is to make new ankle straps. I have a pair of MP shoes here as well, so might as well make new straps for them as well.

I currently have size 8 and 10 here now. I am thinking of purchasing size 9, a 2nd pair of 10's, 11, 12 and 13 and eventually would like to contribute to the cause by learning how to mold the soles - both the mid sole and insert in all the required [full] sizes. I won't bother with half sizes as I think you find the soles for 9.5 and 10 are the same.

To do this properly, what sort of gear would be required? I used to own a vacuum chamber for pulling bubbles out of silicon for molds. I never got around to building a pressure chamber when pouring resin. I just learned to mix and pour without bubbles.

for just reforming the toe section on these knockoffs, whats required to be done?

just rip the front of the shoe out? how well is it glued in?

would like to reform the toe section.

for just reforming the toe section on these knockoffs, whats required to be done?

just rip the front of the shoe out? how well is it glued in?

would like to reform the toe section.

It's CRAZILY glued down and there is about 3/4"-1" of extra vinyl material folded completely under the entire toe.

It's not impossible, but it will take some doing. You'll probably need to remove a "crescent moon" shape of material starting at the toe and extending onto either side. The material isn't as forgiving as it is on the Mark Poons so that method won't work exactly, the vinyl would pucker on the sides if you just tried to bend it down like Brad does with the MPs.

Exacto knife, utility knife, patience, and glue are all you'll need...but you'll need a TON of the third. to make it work.

If you're not in any rush, I'd be happy to test my technique on my second K-Mag and post my findings. I just need to do some more work to the first shoe, before then.

-Nick

My Mags cleared customs today, now I just have to wait for them to get from San Fran to Long Beach. In other news, I picked up the fabric I'll be using for the new uppers. It's kind of halfway between the Poon shoes and the official Nike's. The weave is a little more pronounced, but it's the color of the McFlys.

I also just had a thought about a possible auto-lacing device. If anybody knows of a way to get a very small motor that can turn a gear a 1/4 turn and back and lock in both positions with the push of a button, I've got a design that could work very well.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back