The Adam Project - MAG-CYL - Lightsaber Research and Development Thread

Triin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Greetings All...
So after watching The Adam Project, I just had to have a Mag Cyl. Started researching and taking some screen shots to study how this can potentially be constructed using various ready made parts. Like Pixel Blades and PCBs / Screens etc. I initially thought some TCSS parts may do the trick but unfortunately no.
I've decided to completely construct the prototype from printed ABS with some added Aluminum. This would allow me to get screen accurate dimensions ( except for the emitter window screens which have to be designed around a 128 x 32 Oled since there are no options for full color tfts....that I can find.. )

"Its not a light saber"
lol but it is. And it will be constructed as one. My plan is to house the CFX and speaker / battery within the center section along with a removable side plate that allows access to the RICE and recharge port. This thing will be powering 8 OLED screens simultaneously , so I hope to fit a Panasonic 7.4v Li-ion 3400mAh 18650 Battery Pack.
Of course, this is still R&D so that will be determined later..

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

As you can see, The emitter screen windows are quite large since it is CGI that fills them with the animation. My version will be smaller to accommodate the 128 x 32 Oleds. Unfortunately, They will only be white oleds but I plan to add a bit of cyan tinted film to help achieve the look.

THE BLADE

Screenshot_7.png

I plan to use a 7/8" Blade with a Shtok NXPL connector with a 7/8 holder. This will give me a size that will allow me to have 2 things. Firstly, a standard available poly blade that I can pick up from various saber shops and room to fit a pixel construction. And secondly, room to allow the printed PCB holder for the oleds that fit between the blade and the emitter ID wall.

There will be a "grouping" of offset nuts that fit over the actual blade to emulate the look of the actual movie blade. This is another reason for the skinny 7/8ths blade. The blade will also have a blunt end as pictured.
Screenshot_9.png

Screenshot_8.png

Ive already begun designing these nut-like groupings and will post progress upcoming...

THE DESIGN
Currently I am doing work on the emitter..
this is a mockup ( ready to print ) to test fit the Oleds and blade.
The Oleds I am using are these
0.91 128x32 OLED module - White-1-228x228.jpg

They will run the custom BMP animations for the CFX.

I still may adjust the outer shell as I think its a little too short , however, I wanted to strike a balance between oled screen window size and emitter size. right now I think it looks close to how I would like it to be.

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

I will keep everyone posted with updates as they come in.. I will also post pictures of my test prints when they are done and the fitment process etc.

Of course, If anyone has any suggestions better references , let me know!
Cheers!

test emitter prints came out fantastic. The screen fits perfectly although I had to print it twice. The clearance between the insert and the ID of the emitter was a little off. Easy fix and now it sits in there snug. I also lowered the floor of the inside where the blade pcb will sit as well as add channels for wiring.

More updates soon!

AA03D5C4-C3F4-41D7-B793-82D37718CB3F.jpeg
7597BAF2-7E9B-491E-AB25-A5183CA5EF00.jpeg
AE88C6A9-C51E-4A99-B108-65849BA649B8.jpeg
7D9DEED1-877A-466D-8B78-D2846F26F966.jpeg

updated wire channeling
Screenshot_10.png
Screenshot_11.png

Last edited:
Screens and cfx came in.. so far everything fits nicely except the insert. The wall needs adjusting and also I need to measure and fit the pin pcb holder for the blade..
Once everything is final.. I’ll get these parts machined from aluminum.
videos and pic below

6AE285C6-6196-4815-9571-4A7AF4C035AA.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back