Night Stalker movie with Johnny Depp??

DARTH SABER

Master Member
I hadn't heard about this until just recently.

Johnny Depp Preps 'Night Stalker,' Paul Revere - The Moviefone Blog
"Johnny Depp is busy on both sides of the camera. He's just finished acting in 'The Rum Diary,' '21 Jump Street,' and 'The Lone Ranger' and is still on location with 'Dark Shadows.' Now his production company, Infinitum Nihil, is working on two projects for Disney.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Depp is developing a feature film version of 'The Night Stalker,' the 1972 telefilm about a wisecracking Las Vegas reporter, originally played by Darren McGavin, who investigates a series of murders committed by a vampire; the TV movie proved popular enough to fuel a season of 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' in 1974, in which the reporter went after all sorts of monsters and demons. "

I like Depp but I just don't see it.

Kolchak was one of those shows were everything just magically came together.

There will only ever be one Carl Kolchak in my book and that was Darren McGavin

I agree. He was the only one who could manage to be Kolchak without it being over the top or just cheesy. I though Depp wanted nothing to do with 21 jump street anymore. Guess it must pay pretty good.

Yeah McGavin was the Man, one helluva actor.

Gotta say there is only one Tony Vincenso and that was Simon Oakland.

Another fine Actor

I could see him playing this part. I love Gavin, but I think with the right script, Depp can pull it off.
He would probaly play the part somewhat similiar to his character in Sleepy Hollow.

I agree, no one could fill Mcgavins shoes, however I always thought that if someone could play Kolchak in modern remake I thought William H Macy might be be able to do it.

As far as Depp goes, he certainly knows how to play quirky roles , but I don't know if could pull off Kolchak.

Depp was great in Sleepy Hollow, but playing Carl Kolchak the same way wouldn't work. Darren McGavin nailed the character, playing Kolchak with just the right balance of bravado, sarcastic humor, and "Oh s**t!" moments; playing him any other way would be a mistake in my opinion.

But then, the article doesn't say Depp would be acting in the film, only that his production company is developing it. If it happens, I'd rather see Depp play Skorzeny than Kolchak, but I doubt he'd play another vampire character so soon after Dark Shadows. Time will tell, I suppose.

He's just finished acting in 'The Rum Diary,' '21 Jump Street,' and 'The Lone Ranger'...
Great, another blogger who didn't do his homework. Depp didn't "finish acting" in The Lone Ranger, the project was put on hold until Disney could figure out how to finance the special effects. :unsure

Man, what a shame. I was looking forward to The Lone Ranger.
HOW many special effects do you need in a good old fashioned Western??? What a lame reason for putting the project on hold.

Great, another blogger who didn't do his homework. Depp didn't "finish acting" in The Lone Ranger, the project was put on hold until Disney could figure out how to finance the special effects. :unsure

They have been filming Dark Shadow in the woods at the back of my house for a couple of month now. They have built Collinwood manor and various other sets. Tim Burton is directing and it is also starring Michelle Pfifer and Helena Bonham Carter. I have a couple of not so good quality phone pics if anyone is interested. It's the same spot that they filmed Gladiator, Robin Hood, Harry Potter, Iron Horse, Captain America and a load of others.

I like Depp tremendously, but he's just not the right fit for this. Their really isn't a need for a remake of this film since it's terrific, but that never stops anyone. If you're going to do it, you need someone more grizzled.

Man, what a shame. I was looking forward to The Lone Ranger.
HOW many special effects do you need in a good old fashioned Western??? What a lame reason for putting the project on hold.
Ahh, but it's not a "good old fashioned western". Allegedly, director Gore Verbinski wanted to add a supernatural element that had something to do with the Lone Ranger and werewolves (he uses silver bullets, and silver bullets kill werewolves, so...) and producer Jerry Bruckheimer decided the special effects budget was too high, so the production was put on hold until they could sort it out.

It's nice to hear that there are other people who liked this show.

I honestly can't think of anyone who could play Kolchak like Darren Mcgavin. They would have to re-invent the role, and then it wouldn't be Carl Kolchak, just someone else with the same name. Depp's a talented actor but I'm afraid it would just come off as "Depp plays Carl Kolchak".

The episode with the werewolf scared the bejeesus out of me when I was a kid, then of course my sister used to go around and act like the werewolf and scare me even more.
It's funny, even to this day I still want to get one of those Kolchak hats and dust off the typewriter.

Ahh, but it's not a "good old fashioned western". Allegedly, director Gore Verbinski wanted to add a supernatural element that had something to do with the Lone Ranger and werewolves (he uses silver bullets, and silver bullets kill werewolves, so...) and producer Jerry Bruckheimer decided the special effects budget was too high, so the production was put on hold until they could sort it out.

Someone actually wants less special effects in a hollywood movie? Something tells me it's more about keeping the budget down than quality sadly. I have a feeling this movie is going to tick off Lone Ranger fans and Night Stalker would be a worse insult to the original than the horrid tv show.

They have been filming Dark Shadow in the woods at the back of my house for a couple of month now. They have built Collinwood manor and various other sets. Tim Burton is directing and it is also starring Michelle Pfifer and Helena Bonham Carter. I have a couple of not so good quality phone pics if anyone is interested. It's the same spot that they filmed Gladiator, Robin Hood, Harry Potter, Iron Horse, Captain America and a load of others.

Wow. That is really cool. Would love to see pics! PM me.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back