Kolchak: The Night Stalker

rocketeer25

Sr Member
I just finished watching the original "The Night Stalker" online. Man, did I ever love that show when I was a kid. Darren McGavin owned that role... his delivery of the voiceovers makes me wish that he did audiobooks.

Anyone else like the show? I'm watching another episode now, but it doesn't have the same bite as the first one.

As much as I enjoy the show, some episodes are definitely better than others. But even in the worst episodes, McGavin gave a brilliant performance and made them worth watching.

Up until a few years ago Scifi channel used to have daytime marathons of it then they started showing that horrid remake.

Kolchak is one of my all time favorite shows. Every few months I pop the dvd in and watch the entire season over a course of a week or so....And the two TV movies.

I don't actually think the dialog was corny at all...I actually think it was pretty witty dialog.
I think the cheese factor was mainly confined to some of the production values (But then again, it was the 70's)
Whatever the chees factor might have been, just watching McGavin was entertainment enough.

Anyhow, here's a little tribute cartoon I made not too long ago -

thenightstalker.jpg

DS

You can stream the complete series on Netflix.

Man, when he has to sew that zombie's mouth shut--scared me to death when I was a kid.

Loved the show, and like others...scared me to deatha s a child. I love the cheese factor now. I loved his part on the X-Files, and loved him as the Dad in A Christmas Story as well.

Kolchak is one of my all time favorite shows. Every few months I pop the dvd in and watch the entire season over a course of a week or so....And the two TV movies.

I don't actually think the dialog was corny at all...I actually think it was pretty witty dialog.
I think the cheese factor was mainly confined to some of the production values (But then again, it was the 70's)
Whatever the chees factor might have been, just watching McGavin was entertainment enough.

Anyhow, here's a little tribute cartoon I made not too long ago -

thenightstalker.jpg

DS

AWESOME DRAWING!
Darren (RIP) proves once again that a good actor can elevate the material that he/she is given. without him in the role, the show would have tanked right away and nobody would have had any great childhood memories of the show.

I loved the show as a kid! I agree that upon rewatching now some episodes are better than others, but Darren McGavin really made that show.

My favorite are the first two TV movies, the Night Stalker and the Night Strangler. When those were released on DVD together (probably to gauge interest in a series release) I really enjoyed getting a fresh look at an old favorite. Compared to many other childhood favorites that didn't hold up very well I was really happy to see Kolchak did.

In fact, tonight's a perfect night for a Night Stalker double feature! Thanks for the inspiration!

Glad to see I'm not alone! I gave up on the TV episode I was watching last night, and found the 2nd movie (The Night Strangler) instead. While the villian wasn't as good as the vampire in the first movie, it was still a great ride. Lots of very famous guest stars (for the time) too!

I loved this show as kid. The vampire movie scared the crap out of me. Yes, some episodes had goofy production values (the headless biker comes to mind), but they still scared me. I dug the wolfman on the cruise episode.

Gary

Awesome show. I bought the DVD set on a trip to LA and Gary, Mike, and I watched most of the episodes that night until we fell asleep.

In each other's arms... :lol

When I was younger, if I was ever in a creepy place, I could just HEAR McGavins voice in my head...

"To save a few minutes on his busy schedule, Steve decided to take a detour down a deserted alley."

"Steve didn't realize that it would be the last detour he would ever take..."

Cue monster and scary-ass music.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back