Kolchak: The Night Stalker - His Gear

Carter wanted Kolchak to be the father of the X-files, McGavin said no, hence the character being renamed in that episode.

For as much as he hated what the network did to his Series, It seems McGavin was still protective of it in later years
That is interesting……imagine a Kolchak:X-Files series with better SFX.

Also, notably within the “Travelers” episode, is the X-Files, usage of the name “X-Files” origin story.

Peace

Newly signed up (although I've searched this site quite often). Not sure if this is the right way to initiate a question. It's been pretty well determined that the "Day Camera" in the NIght Stalker MOVIE is an Asahi Pentax and the "Night Camera" is a Nikon F, complete with the requisite flash adapter (that attaches over the rewind dial). I thought at first that the flash unit was a Nikon SB-10 in the vertical position, but now I think this is not the case. Any theories on the make and model of the flash unit. YES, I realize this is an obscure bit of triviana, but I'm trying to assemble a set of ALL of Kolchak's cameras. Have the Rollei 16, of course, but also the Night Strangler Minolta 16 EE II, and the Nikon F (with flash adapter) and the Asahi Pentax. Kolchak NIGHT CAMERA showing Flash Unit.png

Last edited:
Newly signed up (although I've searched this site quite often). Not sure if this is the right way to initiate a question. It's been pretty well determined that the "Day Camera" in the NIght Stalker MOVIE is an Asahi Pentax and the "Night Camera" is a Nikon F, complete with the requisite flash adapter (that attaches over the rewind dial). I thought at first that the flash unit was a Nikon SB-10 in the vertical position, but now I think this is not the case. Any theories on the make and model of the flash unit. YES, I realize this is an obscure bit of triviana, but I'm trying to assemble a set of ALL of Kolchak's cameras. Have the Rollei 16, of course, but also the Night Strangler Minolta 16 EE II, and the Nikon F (with flash adapter) and the Asahi Pentax.View attachment 1779373

Me thinx itz dis one…..

4C03B27D-41ED-4A78-955A-85144B8EFB7A.jpeg

Peace

Interesting tidbit…..

We all know that Chris Carter creator of X-Files was inspired Kolchak’s Night Stalker series……..we also know that a short scene character on an X-File episode (season and episode escapes me for the moment) was modeled after Kolchak…..

View attachment 1766083

Well just recently, I watched a re-run of an X-Files episode that I had not focused on before…..it was an episode that features Darren McGavin appearing in moments of the episode and narrating throughout the story of the episode. It struck me that his narrating was as if the episode was written as a Kolchak episode. I was amused……..

The story is not bad……check it out if your able to…..

I don’t have a direct link to the episode to stream…..but it is available by different streamers…..some with cost.

View attachment 1766084

Enjoy…..
Peace
I made that mashup pic years ago. Haven't seen it in awhile.

Me thinx itz dis one…..

View attachment 1779492

Peace
FANATICO! I thank you very much for this suggestion (convinced me for sure). I believe it's almost certainly the Model 1 as depicted. I shall search for one to complete my "Cameras-in-the-Night Stalker Movie" kit. I have a beautiful, almost new cond. NIkon F. Takes great photos -- I'm used to manual focus. Been a photog enthusiastic amateur since a kid (I'm 75 now). Thanks again.

FANATICO! I thank you very much for this suggestion (convinced me for sure). I believe it's almost certainly the Model 1 as depicted. I shall search for one to complete my "Cameras-in-the-Night Stalker Movie" kit. I have a beautiful, almost new cond. NIkon F. Takes great photos -- I'm used to manual focus. Been a photog enthusiastic amateur since a kid (I'm 75 now). Thanks again.
Great!

When you finally get all the Kolchak cameras together……by all means post a pic on this thread :)

Peace

Here's one that will rankle a bit with "light blue pinstripe purists." I contend that--in the NIGHT STALKER Movie (and in many scenes in the TV series, if not ALL!? at least in many) that Kolchak is wearing a GREY pinstripe jacket and/or suit. There's also the bit about the scenes with gold necktie (Light gold in the final scene as he's booted out of town) and a couple scenes with dark grey slacks (early in the movie). BUT I'm throwing out the Grey Pinstripe Hypothesis as noted above SEE PHOTO

Attachments

• Grey Pinstripe 2.png
    Grey Pinstripe 2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • Kolchak in Grey Pinstrips Night Stalker Movie.png
    Kolchak in Grey Pinstrips Night Stalker Movie.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Plain Light Grey Suit (end of episode).png
    Plain Light Grey Suit (end of episode).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
That is possible. Most tv shows were shot on Kodak film which has a reputation of having a blue tint. On Batman, Batgirl's outfit was Plum, but it always looked Purple on screen.

Here's one that will rankle a bit with "light blue pinstripe purists." I contend that--in the NIGHT STALKER Movie (and in many scenes in the TV series, if not ALL!? at least in many) that Kolchak is wearing a GREY pinstripe jacket and/or suit. There's also the bit about the scenes with gold necktie (Light gold in the final scene as he's booted out of town) and a couple scenes with dark grey slacks (early in the movie). BUT I'm throwing out the Grey Pinstripe Hypothesis as noted above SEE PHOTO

Personally……for cosplay purposes….I’m sticking with blue white seersucker ….the TV version. Deeper back in this thread …I believe I posted a pic or too….of an actual screen used jacket made originally by a tailor shop in SF if memories serve me. It was indeed a blue white. Most of us choose to wear those colors….but hey…if you want to piece together different colors and materials as you have posted in the pictures…..then go for it! The additional variants will cost you a p-r-e-t-t-y penny :)

Peace

Personally……for cosplay purposes….I’m sticking with blue white seersucker ….the TV version. Deeper back in this thread …I believe I posted a pic or too….of an actual screen used jacket made originally by a tailor shop in SF if memories serve me. It was indeed a blue white. Most of us choose to wear those colors….but hey…if you want to piece together different colors and materials as you have posted in the pictures…..then go for it! The additional variants will cost you a p-r-e-t-t-y penny :)

Peace
I agree, Jason. I've priced getting seersucker pinstripes in my size (50-52 long) -- in WHATEVER colors light blue or grey etc. You're right about the cost. I'm going to do another viewthrough and scrutiny of the TV episodes -- that will be fun anyway.

I agree, Jason. I've priced getting seersucker pinstripes in my size (50-52 long) -- in WHATEVER colors light blue or grey etc. You're right about the cost. I'm going to do another viewthrough and scrutiny of the TV episodes -- that will be fun anyway.
Jason is not my name…..but then that’s ok too.

Keep ‘em guessing….I always say..

Good Luck on your costume attire.

Peace

Peace
Yes, Cable Car Clothiers on that jacket you noted. I've worked with them before on golf knickers. Certainly good evidence that blue-white was used in at least some/many/most? of the TV series.

Hi,
Does anyone know the type of camera, flash and tape recorder used by Darren McGavin in the 1972 Night Stalker TV show?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hello. The classic Kolchak camera is a German made Rollei 16 subminiature. I was unusual in that it uses 16mm film stock. The flash is a Rollei strobe attatched to the camera with the Rollei tripod adaptor and hotshoe connection between the flash and adaptor. The camera itself is fairly easy to find on Ebay but the flash adaptor is rare and often goes for $100.00 when one pops up.

Hello. The classic Kolchak camera is a German made Rollei 16 subminiature. I was unusual in that it uses 16mm film stock. The flash is a Rollei strobe attatched to the camera with the Rollei tripod adaptor and hotshoe connection between the flash and adaptor. The camera itself is fairly easy to find on Ebay but the flash adaptor is rare and often goes for $100.00 when one pops up.

This might drop you like a bad burrito….but this is how much it cost when it first sold….

5447F53C-3491-4947-B2F9-6C3D87701E0D.png

You going to need to bust open your piggy bank and bite the bullet…. ;)

Good Luck

Peace

Last edited:
This might drop you like a bad burrito….but this is how much it cost when it first sold….

View attachment 1799426

You going to need to bust open your piggy bank and bite the bullet…. ;)

Good Luck

Peace
Yes, they are pricey. Likely the best source is the rare appearance on eBay. The other trick is that, to achieve the "Kolchak TV Series Camera [especially "Night Version"] Rollei 16 with flash, the tripod adapter has to be installed upside down, the 1/4 20 thread opening facing upward to accomodate the cold shoe and allow the mounting of the flash unit. Rollei also made a flash attachment (single flash bulb unit--WHICH I ALSO HAVE), but that is not used in the TV series. I've just about completed my collection of "The Cameras of Carl Kolchak," complete with all flash attachments--should have photos of same to display within the next week or so.

Yes, they are pricey. Likely the best source is the rare appearance on eBay. The other trick is that, to achieve the "Kolchak TV Series Camera [especially "Night Version"] Rollei 16 with flash, the tripod adapter has to be installed upside down, the 1/4 20 thread opening facing upward to accomodate the cold shoe and allow the mounting of the flash unit. Rollei also made a flash attachment (single flash bulb unit--WHICH I ALSO HAVE), but that is not used in the TV series. I've just about completed my collection of "The Cameras of Carl Kolchak," complete with all flash attachments--should have photos of same to display within the next week or so.
Kolchak Kamera Kollection-Camera #1: THE NIGHT STALKER "Daytime"/"Body-at-the-Beach" Camera
Based on prior comments, I believe that the camera is certainly an Asahi Pentax S-series model. I believe the enhanced and attached clips from the film show this, with the Pentax logo clearly visible on the viewfinder. I have acquired a vintage (and excellent condition--recently CLA-ed [Cleaned, Lubricated, Adjusted] S1a model (see photos). There's no way to know precisely, but I believe the lens shown attached by the screw-mount M42 threaded lens is, most likely, a standard 50mm (WYSIWYG) focal length. Unless some savant knows what lens is attached (or some prop manager or assistant or crew member perchance still living could attest to the exact lens), I'm going with the notion that the press camera would have "Good Glass" -- as we say in photography. The lens shown attached is a Super-Multi-Coated (SMC, came around in 1971) very "bright" f1.4 50mm prime lens. This camera will go with me on a trip to historic Galena, Illinois over Easter. I'll take shots around the old town and post (at least a link) to the resulting photos. Pretty sure K. would have been shooting Black and White, but I'll shoot color and then render them both in color and B & W to show results. Comments on the photos welcome.
P.S. The photo snippits of Kolchak clearly show the "fronted" position of the shutter button, standard for the S-series Pentax group.

Attachments

• S1a Front.jpg
    S1a Front.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Good Glass! f1.4 M42 mount.jpg
    Good Glass! f1.4 M42 mount.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • Top S1a.jpg
    Top S1a.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Closed Back S1a.jpg
    Closed Back S1a.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Open Back S1a.jpg
    Open Back S1a.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Night Stalker %22Day%22:%22Beach Body%22 Camera.jpg
    Night Stalker %22Day%22:%22Beach Body%22 Camera.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Sharpened Image %22Beach Body%22 Camera.jpg
    Sharpened Image %22Beach Body%22 Camera.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Ya know……a lot of tv props like cameras that have accessories such as interchangeable lenses is sometimes under the purview of the propmaster to choose. Unless a type of camera is specifically requested by the producer(s) for i.e. name brand product placement…..they will take a camera body and attach any lens that will fit and the hand off to use in a scene.

Shows from those days had no clue that decades later they would become popular with collectors wanting to relive those shows with its props.

Many of show props as deemed by today’s collectors, found there way to the studio dumpsters after production. Millions $$$ in today’s worth…..just thrown out.

Anyway nice pics of your Kameras….

The lens used while filming the Kolchak movie is clueless for me…

Peace

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back