New Trek Props / Star Trek XI

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by alienscollection.com, Apr 21, 2006.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What. This is huge news. Change this thread title immediately to "JJ Abrams helming Star Trek XI". " :lol

Hm, what do I know about Abrams... he collects TOY ROBOTS, that's cool...

Oh and he co-wrote "Armageddon". Oh, man Trek XI is gonna suck. Aaaaaargh. :cry

Well hopefully not. :confused

But this tidbit isn't promising:

We Trekkies have been fearing THAT plot since the mid-eighties, when Harve Bennett (producer on the earlier Trek films) first came up with it...

- k

3. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

I've personally never liked the notion that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy all went to the Academy together.

I also really don't want to see Cadet Kirk and Spock...If they want to use those characters they should just set the film during THE five-year mission so we can see our heroes in their prime, NOT as trainees...

4. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

This makes no sense. Spock was with Pike on the Enterprise when Kirk was there. I mean Spock was in Starfleet decades before Kirk. Unless Spock is some kind of instructor it makes no sense.

5. phase pistol

Well, that's the ONE way it could work... Spock back from serving on the Enterprise... the only Vulcan in Starfleet... hmmm.... :rolleyes

But that's the ONLY way it could work. If they're both cadets together, they're throwing continuity out the window.

We just gotta hope they know what they're doing. Or put ME on the team to make sure they do it right. :p

- k

You also gotta wonder who the hell they will cast as the Young Kirk and Spock... and will they take it seriously, or will it be a "romp".

I dunno... this will either be the best thing since "Wrath of Khan".. or it won't.

- k

And what is up with this board software. If you try to make two consecutive replies (for, say, dramatic effect), it just concatenates them together. Sigh. :confused

- k

6. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

If this does pan out, I think a major problem will be finding actors that will fill the shoes of Shatner and Nimoy. Not saying these guys have BIG shoes, but lets face it, they are Kirk and Spock, and vice versa. Perhaps most movie goers might not "feel the pain" of other actors playing these parts, but we trekkies are a different breed.

*edit*

yeah... that, to :p

7. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can smell this one coming a mile away.

Paramount will never learn.

8. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

I think if this premise is true, we could see some interesting twists. Like, who would be the young Kirk and Spock? And what about McCoy. Didn't Kirk know Bones for a long time?

Academy days, yawn. Early Mission or the transition from Pike to Kirk, and some of those missions, now I am game.

Jim

9. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

There was a book called Enterprise by Vonda McIntyre that detailed Kirk's take over from Pike. It was pretty cool. Who will play the young characters?

10. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 21 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]1230452[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, Star trek has never done that before. :rolleyes

11. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luke Warmwater @ Apr 21 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]1230478[/snapback]</div>
    And it sucks every time. :lol

12. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Apr 21 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1230477[/snapback]</div>
    There are so many wonderful novels they could do as movies that would just blow some of these sad scripts out of the water. McIntyre's work is but one of them, and of course nearly anythin by Peter David. I still wish they would adopt the Capt. Calhoun series, using Shelby as well, as that would be a great set of stories.

Reading the article I'm more than a bit nervous...is Berman still around? The article hints at it but I don't see him mentioned directly.

And I'm still * about the cancellation of Enterprise. I just re-watched a few of the last season episodes and man did it really hit it's stride just as they nuked it.

13. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh man, I'm so jazzed about this :rolleyes

When are they going to learn that Star Trek subsists on its nerdy fans who know every little detail about the franchise, so when you * on continuity and everything else that came before, no one's going to like it.

14. Archie Opteryx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(playskool2000 @ Apr 21 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]1230612[/snapback]</div>
    Word.

15. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Let's all hope it's 'direct to video'.

I think I would rather see Shatner do it again.
    At least we got a cool phaser out of it.

16. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WellI'mfinewith.... the... stoaryaslong.... asweget...... someonewho...... REALLYTALKSLIKE... KIRKand...... as.... long.... as.... we...don'tgetaversionofStarTrekthatscreams.....

TEENMOVIE..

/Joe F

17. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

The casting call for this is going to be psychotic...

18. Buddydog

Buddydog New Member

Let's just pray there is no Willie Nelson or Johnny Noxville. Hollywood has hit the all-time creative low as far as I'm concerned. I think pulling the story from a novel would be great. It's a formula that you know works, why mess with it...And why did Klingon blood turn lava-lampish all of the sudden?.? They could....could try and come up with a completely unrecycled story/idea, but I doubt it will ever happen again until as a society we decide to riot.

Bud

19. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(playskool2000 @ Apr 21 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]1230612[/snapback]</div>
    Well that's just it. Who likes Star Trek? Trekkies like it. Do "normal people" like Star Trek? No, they do not.

So every time the studio tries to "grow the franchise" by "broadening the appeal" beyond the "niche demographic" (as it were), they fail. They keep trying to make "Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek", and it doesn't work.

Now... one thing we're going to have to find out, is whether JJ Abrams intends to "work within the boundaries of the franchise", or whether he intends to "reimagine" Star Trek ala Battlestar Galactica. The Variety article did call Abrams the "new Gene Roddenberry", which implies that Abrams has total and absolute control to do whatever he wants.

So we're just going to have to hope he knows what he's doing...

- K

20. Archie Opteryx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 21 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]1230685[/snapback]</div>
    HEY. Who you callin' Abby Normal? :angry

21. phase pistol

One-of-us. One-of-us. Gooble Gobble. :p

- k

22. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jimbo890 @ Apr 21 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1230474[/snapback]</div>

Me too I'd be up for that :D

23. Geniepants

Geniepants Well-Known Member

I'd heard a rumor about a movie taking place between Enterprise and TOS during the Earth-Romulan War. I'd much rather see THAT than Starfleet Academy 90210.

24. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

First thoughts: "JJ Abrams. He did 'Lost.' This could be good. Wait. A Starfleet Academy movie? This could blow chunks."

Time will tell. I suspect it's going to end up on one end of the spectrum or the other; no middle ground.

On the other hand, they should make a movie out of "How Much for Just the Planet." With a bit of a rewrite, they wouldn't even have to include the Enterprise crew.

25. AndySertin

AndySertin Well-Known Member

Here's an angle they could approach from, MIRROR MIRROR..

This way you can safely throw continuity out the window.

26. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geniepants @ Apr 21 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1230744[/snapback]</div>
    Rumors about the next Star Trek film have circulated since about 2003. The rumors mostly fell into two camps: the "First Romulan War" (to be set later than "Enterprise" but pre-TOS), or "Kirk and Spock at the Academy".

The K/S Academy concept was first seriously proposed by Harve Bennett in the 1980s, possibly as a ploy to continue to make films with the popular characters but not have to involve Shatner and Nimoy.

Here's a pretty good synopsis of the previous rumors and development surrounding Trek XI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_XI

- k

27. Toferay

Toferay New Member

I bet 200 quatloos there will be a Brokeback Academy trailer made by a disrespectful farscape nerd.

28. phase pistol

The newcomer is a "true gamester." B)

29. phase pistol

OK here we go.. as it was designed to do, the Internet tells us what nerds think of Star Trek. :lol

(from Saturday's Los Angeles Times)

BUZZTRACKER
    'Star Trek' Reborn: The Fans Speak
    After a year on ice, Sci-fis longest running francise is returning with J.J. Abrams at the helm. But what do the trekkies think?
    By Deborah Netburn
    April 21 2006

Those of us who are not mega Star Trek die-hards, glancing at the morning's news it seemed safe to assume that the streets would soon be filled with young men in plastic pointy ears dancing with glee. We assumed that Trekkie reaction to news that one year after the franchise was last seen on the airwaves or in movie theaters Paramount had tapped J.J. Abrams to write, direct, and produce "Star Trek" 11 would be similar to the effect of Zac Efron striding into a bat-mitzvah for a dance. Squeals of delight, fits of hysteria, perhaps some passing out was fully expected.

Au contraire. Trekkies are no longer the innocent, accepting 13-year-olds they once were. They've had their hearts broken before and they are wary of being hurt again.

We spoke with the Commanding Officer and Second Officer of USS Angeles--the LA based "Star Trek" and science fiction fan club, as well as the former editor of "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: Next Generation" comics for D.C. They greeted the news with cautious hope, but to our surprise, they all agreed that JJ Abrams is not their dream boy. Not by a long shot.

Janice Willcocks, Commanding Officer, USS Angeles.

How long have you been into Star Trek?
    Well, I've been a fan since the beginning. I was six when the first series came out and it was so far beyond any other science fiction that was out there. I mean, "Lost in Space" and "Land of the Giants," give me a break. I've always been into it. I'm a long time fan.

WWhat do you think about JJ Abrams taking over the franchise?
    I think it's great news. I was thinking that "Star Trek" was going to go away for a while. Everyone seemed to be packing things up and shoving it in a corner, and I'm glad to hear that JJ Abrams is going to be at the helm. I'm a big fan of "Lost," and it sounds like Trek is in good hands.

What do you think about the storyline?
    MmmÂ…I have mixed feeling about that. Obviously they will have to use different actors to play those parts. But they are such special people it will be really tough to recast those parts. As somebody mentioned on our list, how are you going to get new actors to be good as those characters without being a parody of them?

Who would be your first choice to direct the film?
    There was some talk about J. Michael Strasinky showed interest, he wrote and produced "Babylon 5," a couple of years ago he was thinking he could come in and do something with it, he really cares about it, it's not just a job or making money, he really cares about star trek, I thought that was very important, I'm not as familiar with personal traits as J.J. Abrams, I have no idea how he really feels about it, is he really a trek fan at all. It will be interesting how it turns out. But you know star trek lives.

How would you rate your star trek fandom on a scale of one to ten?
    I'm probably more toward the extreme side, but I don't speak Klingon. And unless it is a convention or Halloween, I would be embarrassed to wear my uniforms in public, but I do have them. I would say 8.5.

Jackie Bundy, Second Officer of the USS Angeles

How did you get interested in Star Trek?
    I grew up with it. It has been a part of my life since I can remember, and the past eight years I've been reviewing "Star Trek" novels as well as mysteries and other science fiction books as a freelance writer. There are over 600 "Star Trek" novels at this point, and a minimum of 32 novels come out every year. There are authors I refuse to read, but the majority I do read. I review for treknation.com.

What do you think of JJ Abrams taking over the franchise?
    I'm positive and hopeful because of the work he's done in the past but will be reserving judgment with what they are thinking about with the next movie. I'm not surprised they would tap him because he is so hot right now. Hopefully he will get some people around him that do know "Star Trek" and will be considerate of the fan concerns.

What do you think of the proposed storyline?
    The press release I read said they are thinking of going back in time again. God, I hope not, but if they do a younger version they are going to be treading a minefield -- every long time fan has those dates committed to memory. They know that Kirk and Spock could not possibly be in academy together. To old timers like myself, who have 40 years invested in the series, when someone comes along and says 'Oh, never mind, we are going to contradict all of that,' it * them off. It makes them feel almost used in a way, because they've invested a lot of time over the years and an awful lot of money. "Star Trek" fans spend a LOT of money.

I love "Star Trek." I grew up with it. I think I'm about a six or seven.

Robert Greenberger, Author of 4 "Star Trek" novels, and former editor of "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: Next Generation" comics for D.C. Comics.

How did you get into "Star Trek?"
    I remember coming downstairs late one night and my father was watching TV and I saw people sparkling in and out of existence. One year later I got to stay up late enough to watch with him and I got fascinated. I blame my father.

What do you think about JJ Abrams helming the Star Trek 11 film?
    This morning when I heard the news I thought, "JJ Abrams? "Star Trek" 11? Thank God. Fresh blood who knows how to tell a story." When I read further that it was another backwards looking story I was disappointed. That's not what the franchise needs. "Star Trek" is so much bigger than just Kirk and Spock. You feel you are running in circles instead of growing, so there is some concern.

Were there any rumors circulating in the fan world about the next film?
    It was not rumored at all. There are rumors -- the actors talk at the conventions and all. Rick Burman was talking about an 11th film, and when they named the guy writing the screenplay, everybody said, "Who?" But this is big and it came totally out of left field.

Is it possible for Kirk and Spock to have been in Academy at the same time?
    Somebody just pinged me with a note about thisÂ…. There is a book in print called "Star Trek Chronology," published by Pocket Books and it says Spock entered Starfleet Academy in the year 2249 and that Kirk was admitted to the academy in 2250Â…so it is plausible.

Oh boy, I can't speak Klingon. I'd put myself a notch or two below the top. Although I've been a big fan for a long long time.

30. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These Starfleet International people just don't get how incredibly dorky their titles make them, and the whole of fandom, look to everyone else.

Okay, we ARE dorky, but we don't need to add fuel to the fire.

(Which is why during the early days of the 501st I argued against using terms like "Garrison", "CO", etc. You can see how persuasive I was. ;) )

31. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe now Kirk can wear lots of pretty dresses, disquise himself with wigs and travel to exotic lands while Spock resolves his "Daddy issues". :rolleyes

32. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

It seems some of us were a bit off on the timing/history (me included). I did a bit of digging online. I guess I had assumed since Spock was on the Enterprise with Pike so much earlier, that he finished up at the Academy years before Kirk. I just looked at both the Kirk and Spock entries at Startrek.com. They were there at some overlapping times. With Spock about a year ahead of Kirk. The weird thing is they both were assigned to ships during various times as cadets. Spock to the Enterprise under Pike, and Kirk to the USS Republic with Ben Finney and then later to the Farragut under Capt. Garrovick once he graduates. Here's both of the entries so you can compare:

Spock:
    http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/libr...io/1112508.html

Kirk:
    http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/seri...er/1112496.html

So this might not mess with Trek history as much as I first thought.

33. phase pistol

Yeah I was surprised to see that as well. However when watching TOS, you don't get the idea that Kirk and Spock were buddies at the Academy. In fact nobody mentions them even knowing each other back then.

Kirk has many acquaintances from those days; Gary Mitchell, his best friend ("Where No Man Has Gone Before"), Ben Finney ("Court Martial"), Finnegan ("Shore Leave") so on and so forth. Spock is never mentioned in that context.

And yes there's the "eighteen years ago" thing from "The Menagerie"... Spock is obviously very devoted to his former Captain, Christopher Pike... to the extent that he betrays Kirk and the present crew, all for the sake of taking Pike to a forbidden planet and risking the Death penalty. This is the sort of sacrifice that Kirk and Spock would do for each other in the movie era, but at this early time (midway thru the first season of TOS), Spock does not even owe Kirk an explanation before stealing his ship. :lol

So yeah, on the face of it, doesn't look good for a Kirk/Spock buddy picture. :rolleyes

One also wonders if the new movie will be true to the characters as they are depicted in the series. References to Kirk in his Academy days indicate that he was deadly serious and bookish:

McCOY: Well, I'm beginning to feel picked on.

KIRK: I know the feeling. I had it at the academy. An upper classman there-- one practical joke after another
    and always on me-- my own personal devil, a guy by the name of Finnegan.

McCOY: And you being the very serious young--

KIRK: Serious? I was absolutely grim, which delighted Finnegan no end.
    - "Shore Leave"

MITCHELL: I'm getting a chance to read some of that longhair stuff you like. Hey, man, I remember you back at the academy-- a stack of books with legs. The first thing I ever heard from upperclassmen was, ''Watch out for Lieutenant Kirk. in his class, you either think or sink.''

KIRK: I wasn't that bad, was I?

MITCHELL: lf I hadn't aimed that little blonde lab technician at you--
    - Kirk's best friend Gary Mitchell, "Where No Man..."

Note this implies that "Lieutenant Kirk" was an instructor at the Academy when Mitchell first met him... Or perhaps that Kirk was so competitive, that you had to work to keep up with him perhaps?

- k

34. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 22 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]1231102[/snapback]</div>
    I always took this to mean that Kirk was a young instructor (a grad, not a student), who taught a class for underclassmen. When Mitchell entered the Academy as an underclassman, upperclassmen who had survived Kirk's class warned him about how tough it was. How underclassman Mitchell got to be instructor Kirk's best bud is a bit of a mystery... although it may have had something to do with procuring blondes. :D

35. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temponaut @ Apr 22 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]1231131[/snapback]</div>
    Kirk had the same relationship - only reversed - with Ben Finney.

He was an instructor at the academy when I was a midshipman. But that didn't stand in the way of our beginning a close friendship. His daughter Jamie, who was here last night, was named after me. ... We were assigned to the same ship some years later. - Kirk, "Court Martial"
    - k

36. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

Well, Kirk always was quite the overachiever. :D

Since it seems possible that Kirk was promoted TWICE while still at the Academy his promotion to lieutenant AND assignment to teach a class might have been because of his "creative solution" to the Kobyashi Maru scenario...

37. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it has some promise... They don't just have Abrams, but also several other of the producers (and writers?) from Lost working on it.

Oh, and NO BERMAN.

38. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Amen, brother. As far as I'm concerned, Berman killed the franchise.

39. phase pistol

I used to think Berman/Braga were the culprits as well... but it turns out Ira Stephen Behr had a large role to play in the ruination of Star Trek as well.

Behr was a writer on TNG, and hated it. He's the one who decided "well maybe the Federation isn't so noble and heroic after all." He helped create Deep Space Nine, which IMHO was the end of Star Trek as conceived by Gene Roddenberry.

The corpse kept walking for several years afterwards...

- k

40. phase pistol

I dug up some background on Harve Bennett's earlier Starfleet Academy pitch to Paramount...first here's an interview with TrekNation

And another article, from Startrek.com, on Bennett and Treks not taken .

41. phase pistol

OK nearly exactly one month ago, aintitcoolnews posted THIS, which is supposed to be a synopsis of Bennett's script for Starfleet Academy... very interesting timing...

This COULD be a hoax, so caveat emptor.

And whether this would be considered "spoiler" material... well who knows... :lol

----

Firstly, this is not the recently commissioned (and rejected) screenplay by BAND OF BROTHERSÂ’ Erik Jendersen. IÂ’ve been trying to get my hands on that one for some time, and all roads lead to nowhere. The script weÂ’re talking about here has been around for quite a while.

Its concept is broadly referred to by fans as “STARFLEET ACADEMY”, but this moniker is not accurate. The script is called STAR TREK: THE ACADEMY YEARS.

Back in the late 1980s, THE ACADEMY YEARS was written by David Loughery (STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER) for then TREK overlord Harve Bennett.

Bennett produced TREK movies II, III, IV, and V – and is credited (as a writer) on TREKs III and IV (although he did some uncredited work on THE WRATH OF KAHN as well, if memory serves).

STAR TREK V is a film whose ambitions were undercut by Paramount’s increasing lack for support for the “Classic” TREK franchise (with greater attention being afforded the then white-hot NEXT GENERATION.) Budget cuts and conceptual dampening burdened the movie with a decidedly clunky quality. Ironically, TREK V also represents what many fans believe to be the truest expression of the Classic Era characters. It was very much a mixed bag; TREK at both its weakest and strongest.

Recognizing a need for “reinvention”, Bennett approached Paramount with a proposal: Prequelize the original STAR TREK series via THE ACADEMY YEARS concept. Dramatize how the “Classic” characters, and the universe they occupy, became what we saw in THE ORIGINAL SERIES. This concept was green lighted, but scuttled during a regime change at Paramount.

Bennett stepped away. A different sequel, STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (the final film to feature the entire original cast), was mastered by other producers. The theatrical franchise was subsequently inherited by the controversial Rick Berman.

ISN’T THIS THE BEAUTIFUL TEENS, “TOP GUN”’ STAR TREK EVERYONE IS SO AFRAID OF?

Yes, it is. But THE ACADEMY YEARS isnÂ’t about posing hunks, teens cavorting, or rock music blaring. It has certain TOP GUN elements, but no more so than any of the numerous military training/coming of age movies that have been made.

It most closely resembles TOP GUN in structure: Brash young loose cannon (Kirk) goes to the academy, meets a girl, gets into trouble, whips up a few shenanigans, is pressed into unexpected action, and proves his value to the system via a trial by fire.

Despite such conceits, this is VERY much a “true” STAR TREK script – throwing the hard core series philosophy into settings we’ve never seen fully realized before. Indeed, THE ACADEMY YEARS is about STAR TREK becoming STAR TREK, and heroes becoming the heroes they don’t consider themselves to be.

WHATÂ’S IT ABOUT?

STAR TREK: THE ACADEMY YEARS begins as TOS (movie) era McCoy addresses a Starfleet commencement. After his speech, several cadets corner the good doctor, who is standing alone, gazing into a reflecting pool. They nervously ask him about Kirk and Spock.

SECOND CADET: What were they like?

FIRST CADET: Were they friends?

McCOY: FRIENDS? I never met two less likely candidates for friendship in my entire life. That surprises you, doesnÂ’t it? Well, itÂ’s the gospel truth. They were as different as night and day. As VulcanÂ…and Iowa.

WOSH. We flashback to IOWA, which feels a lot like Smallville, where Sam Kirk is mortified by his brother JimÂ’s reckless shenanigans in a futuristic crop duster.

JIM: You worry too much.

SAM: ThatÂ’s because you donÂ’t worry at all.

Young Jim Kirk is the reckless son of a reckless father. Jim has little interested in an Earthbound existence, and yearns to attend Starfleet Academy. This doesn’t seem likely though – he’s scheduled to attend Agricultural school soon.

But he gets a message from StarfleetÂ…heÂ’s been accepted. One of 100 recruits. He leaves for the Academy without the blessings of his mother or brother, who are afraid Jim will get swept up in a brewing galactic conflict (more on this below), or meet with the same fate as his father (more on this below, too.) Kirk leaves Iowa, walking alone into a bigger world.

ON VULCAN: Young Spock is being confronted by an associate named Shardik, who is trying to convince him to decline his acceptance to Starfleet Academy on Earth. No Vulcan has ever gone through Starfleet. HeÂ’ll be alone. But heÂ’s already aloneÂ…

SHARDIK: Your decision in this matter is not logical.

SPOCK: On the contrary. It is logic that tells me I do not belong here.

Kirk arrives in San Francisco (home of Starfleet Academy), and immediately gets lost. A country boy with a ruck sack on his shoulder, the big city folk dismiss him out of hand. He canÂ’t even get directions to the Academy. He finally manages to get there, via a speeder bike ride from a fiery chick named CASSANDRA HIGHTOWER, who becomes a love interest later in the film.

Kirk makes it to the Academy, instantly gets into a dust-up with a dude named KALIBAR.

KALIBAR: We wouldnÂ’t want to get into a fight on our first day.

KIRK: What would we have to look forward to?

This is a prophetic exchange; Kirk and Kalibar will eventually clash. Bigtime.

Kirk’s room mate in the academy is an older inductee named Leonard McCoy. Kirk hates the name Leonard, sticks him with the name “Bones”.

Also hanging around the Academy: An Engineering Officer who has been consigned to teaching, over his rather loud objections. The guy’s name is Montgomery Scott. “Scotty”. He’s been part of a Starfleet propulsion program for years – aimed at utilizing Dilithium crystals in Warp engines. Seems contemporary Warp speed takes hours to attain. Dilithium makes Warp speed instantaneous.

Scotty knew KirkÂ’s father.

SCOTTY: Are you any relation to George Kirk?

JIM: George Kirk was my father.

SCOTTY: I dinna know George had a family.

JIM: Neither did George.

Turns out, George Kirk was also working on the Dilithium project with Scotty – he piloted a test ship, called Bonaventure, which disappeared without a trace during its first Dilithium-fueled Warp jump. Scotty shows Kirk his stash of Dilithuim, which is sitting around unused, and useless. All of this will be important in the script’s finale.

Academy “settling in” antics ensue. Pushy drill instructors, Kirk gets busted and cleans toilets, etc. But there’s a problem at the Academy – the same problem which threatens to catapult the galaxy into civil war. Seems the “enlightenment” exalted by characters in THE ORIGINAL SERIES hasn’t come about just yet (evidence of this exists in several TOS episodes, including “Balance of Terror”, “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”, and “Bread and Circuses”)

Racism, bigotry, and slavery are still powerful forces across the galaxy in this time. “Red bloods”, “Green bloods”, etc. are delineations that are not only still noted, but acted upon by many. They are differences that are still feared.

Some believe it’s up to the Federation to impose more sophisticated values (opposing slavery, etc.) on worlds that haven’t “caught up”. Others believe that it’s no one’s place to push morality on anyone, and that upsetting such social constructs will cause shockwaves of socio-economic repercussions that will destabilize the galaxy. Treaties are in the works…the Federation is involved…ambassadors are in town for meetings…military intervention is in the air. What will happen is anyone’s guess.

As such, Spock arrives at the Academy with no particular amount of acceptance. He came to find a place he belongs. Instead, he is no more at home here than he was back on Vulcan. Spock even finds himself abducted and brutally mutilated by HOODED CADETS. He is rescued by Kirk, who never really thought about issues like equality, bigotry, and freedom – but is now being forced to confront them head on. He’s being forced to grow. They all are.

Turns out, Kalibar (the guy who Kirk bumped into when he got to Starfleet) is a prince from an alien world whose economy is driven by slavery. HeÂ’s one of the guys who kidnapped and messed up Spock. As punishment, heÂ’s expelled from the Academy, leaving in a flourish. At roughly the same time, Kalibar learns that his father, the King, was killed in an uprising back home. Everything in KalibarÂ’s universe is falling apart. Or, perhaps itÂ’s going just the way he wants it toÂ…

ELSEWHERE: KODARIS, an alien ambassador from KalibarÂ’s world, signs an anti-slavery proclamation. No one at Starfleet is sure how to react. But Kalibar is *.

STARFLEET. Kirk and Cassandra make love, silhouetted against the stars in a zero-gravity space simulator. A weightless dance. We learn that Cassandra is also a cadet, gunning for captaincy like Kirk.

“Cuts” are coming up soon. Grade and character based evaluations are being made, only 20 of the initial 100 inductees will continue to be midshipmen. And Kirk’s in trouble: His Quantum Mechanics suck and he’s close to washing out.

Quantum Mechanics being one of his better subjects, Spock mind melds with Kirk -- teaching him all he needs to know to pass the test. Kirk scores 100. So does Spock. They make the cut. Two of the 20. Cassandra get through as well.

Starfleet realizes Kirk and SpockÂ’s essays are word-for-word identical. They confess to cheating and are confined to quarters, while Cassandra and the other new midshipmen are sent to their first training assignment.

EARTH ORBIT: Cassandra, the midshipmen, and McCoy rendezvous with their ship: “An old ship of the line, a war horse, battered and patched. Its design may not be familiar, but its name is. U.S.S. Enterprise.”

They break orbit, heading off to their training mission. But it’s not a training mission at all. In order to attract as little attention as possible, Ambassador Kodaris…the guy who signed the treaty abolishing slavery on Kalibar’s world…has been spirited aboard the currently low-profile Enterprise, commanded by CAPTAIN GEOFFREY THORPE. Their “training” is to take him home. The crew is apprehensive as hell. So many things could go wrong. And everything does.

KALIBAR ATTACKS, immediately disabling Enterprise. Cutting her off from communications with Earth. Kalibar wants to kill the Ambassador – he blames him for * up the way of life back home. If Enterprise gives up the Ambassador, Kalibar will let the ship go free. Thorpe tells him no way.

EARTH: Kirk is sick of being confined to quarters and is packing to leave Starfleet altogether. He’s going to join the “merchant fleet”. As he leaves, Spock is standing in the doorway.

SPOCK: This merchant fleet – does it accept Vulcans?

TheyÂ’re on the way to hand in their resignations when they hear that Enterprise has dropped communications and may be under attack. SheÂ’s a sitting duck; no way to talk to her and no way to physically reach her in time.

But Kirk has an ideaÂ…

Kirk, Scotty, and Spock steal a prototype Warp ship from the Starfleet Museum. The Bonaventure II, the sequel ship to the ship KirkÂ’s dad disappeared in. They load it up with ScottyÂ’s Dilithium and fly it out of the museum. TheyÂ’re off to warn Enterprise she may be attacked. But to do it in time, theyÂ’ll have to make the first successful Dilithium- Warp jump. They all doubt the sanity of this undertaking , but they do it anyway.

They arrive at Enterprise. But itÂ’s too late. Thorpe is dead, the ship is smashed, and Cassandra is in command. Things arenÂ’t going well. Enterprise, and her crew, are dying.

Kirk, Scotty, and Spock jump into action. If Scotty can get those * Dilithium crystals into EnterpriseÂ’s enginesÂ…they can change the ship into a fast, maneuverable vessel Kalibar wonÂ’t, and couldnÂ’t, expect. They might have a fighting chance.

A mammoth battle ensues, as Enterprise and Kalibar clash in a high-speed fight amongst the rings of a giant world. Dodging some ice chunks, smashing into others. Kirk chances into command of EnterpriseÂ…with Scotty in engineering, Spock feeding him information, and Bones tending to the wounded in sickbay (Nurse Chapel at his side). A new era has begun.

But not for longÂ…

The script goes through a great deal of effort to bring the “classic” characters together, but it doesn’t take the easy way out. As the flashback concludes, the “classic” guys go their separate ways…to other ships and other adventures…fated to meet again. “Jim and Spock walk way in opposite directions, headed for a common destiny.”

BACK WITH TOS (MOVIE) ERA McCoy. His communicator beeps. ItÂ’s Scotty, asking if heÂ’s ready to beam up now. Seems the captainÂ’s eager to move out. McCoy excuses himself, takes one last look around.

McCOY: Beam me up, Scotty.

SPACE: The TOS (movie) era Enterprise warps away to distant stars.

SO, HOW IS IT?

The script is surprisingly solid. Frequently, itÂ’s extremely involving. Unlike many recent permutations of STAR TREK, it has a tremendously vibrant heart and soul. ItÂ’s even genuinely moving on a few occasions.

The characters, and “vibe”, of THE ORIGINAL SERIES are unequivocally nailed here. That energy is just…there. It’s in the way the characters speak, in the cadence of their dialogue, and the flow of the story.

ThereÂ’s a great deal of passion here, and a great deal of sweetness. WeÂ’ve previously been told a bit about what these characters were like in their early years, and the script nicely upholds these perceptions.

But thereÂ’s also a surprising amount of pathos. THE ACADEMY YEARS isnÂ’t about learning the ins & outs of space adventuring as much as itÂ’s a journey of self-discovery. ItÂ’s about growing beyond the boxes we put ourselves in, or the boxes that other people put us in. It also pile drives one of the most sublime human truths: Sometimes, the best friends we can have are the people weÂ’d least hope to, or expect to, be our friends.

To paraphrase THE ABYSS, THE ACADEMY YEARS is about looking “with better eyes than that.”

WHAT IMPRESSES YOU MOST ABOUT THE SCRIPT?

Besides hitting the mark by creating the feel of THE ORIGINAL SERIES (and movies), what strikes me the most is the amount of time Bennett and Loughery spend exploring what makes these icons tick.

We see that ‘brash and confident’ Kirk also carries with him a certain amount of self doubt, instilled by a family who was afraid he’d meet the unfortunate fate of his father. Also, early on, he turns away from the people he loved (thus the people who love him) in order to follow his dreams. His cockiness, to some extent, seems to be his forcing past his own internal discomforts and apprehensions.

The super-logical Spock is equally flawed: Throughout THE ORIGINAL SERIES, we saw his struggle to fit in. This is poignantly illustrated in THE ACADEMY YEARS, most notably through shots of Spock sitting alone in the Starfleet cafeteria, and by a scene in which he struggles to dictate…and re-dictate…a message to his mother. After starting, stopping, over-stating his popularity, and downright lying, he deletes all versions of the message and simply sends: “I am fine” (an allusion to his “Tell her I feel fine” line in STAR TREK IV).

IF THE GUY WHO WROTE STAR TREK V WROTE THIS, WHAT KIND OF PROBLEMS DOES IT HAVE?

In general, THE ACADEMY YEARS is a much more fully realized script than THE FINAL FRONTIER. TREK V feels only partially realized…a smattering of fantastic moments that never expand to an entirety of greatness. By comparison, THE ACADEMY YEARS is more “hit” than “miss”.

Most of the “misses” rise from unfortunate doses of broad humor; the same kind of buffoonery that felt so jarring in STAR TREK V. Most of this isn’t worth nitpicking herein, but it hurts. Sometimes it hurts badly.

Fortunately, there are also a few moments of genuine comedic inspiration, as in cutaway to a slightly tipsy Spock trying to pick up a girl in a bar. ”It’s called Pon Far” he tells her. The same girl is later seen doing the Pon Far finger caress with Spock, but she’s wearing a latex glove on the hand she’s using. Awesome.

Loughery’s treatment of personality and characters is staggering, often stirring. If any subsequent drafts of this script are ever generated, all of his character material should be maintained…but someone with a little less broadness should re-approach the sillier slapstick asides. ‘Twould make a solid script truly GREAT.

SOME OF THIS PLOTLINE SOUNDS FAMILIAR. WHAT GIVES?

Many elements of THE ACADEMY YEARS seem to have been pillaged by later TREK iterations. I have no direct knowledge of this, but itÂ’s hard to escape certain parallels between the content of this script and critical elements that popped up in later installments.

Kirk in the shadow of his father is, more or less, the same dynamic played out in ENTERPRISE (Captain Archer assuming the legacy of his daddy). KalibarÂ’s suicidal preoccupation with preventing change from coming to his world equals General ChangÂ’s Machiavellian resistance in STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY. The fate of the future hinging on a successful Warp jump is, of course, a notion utilized in FIRST CONTACT.

Sure, these could all be cases of legitimate parallel development. ButÂ…

If THE ACADEMY YEARS concept is ever re-approached, some changes will have to be made so that this project doesnÂ’t appear to be boosting other TREK endeavors (which, in actuality, may have been influenced by it.). Sigh.

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS PROJECT?

As recently as a few years ago, Bennett approached Paramount about THE ACADEMY YEARS. Sherri Lancing (head of Paramount) was ready to do the project, but was asked not to by Paramount TelevisionÂ…who figured ENTERPRISE should be the only TREK prequel in the game.

You can read more about the history of this project (both ancient and recent) HERE.

The decision not to move forward with THE ACADEMY YEARS is terribly unfortunate. For my money, the obstacles facing the currently in-stasis franchise have nothing to do with the presence of “too much STAR TREK”, as some believe.

TREK’s diminishing audience happened because fans and laymen alike were sick of lifeless, bland, and safe storytelling that took no chances, and never came to life. Series and movies became visually flat, kinetically dull, and aurally muted (compare the way music is used in THE WRATH OF KAHN to any “sonic wallpaper” score in VOYAGER or ENTERPRISE). The camera became increasingly locked down...colors became more and more drab.

Above all, TREK derailed when it ceased to be about “all of us”, and became insular in its scope and ambition. It looked in on itself for inspiration, instead of reaching out to our world. And, most importantly, reaching out to our spirits.

People are not perfect, yet characters stopped making mistakes. Life is vibrant, yet shows were edited like news casts. Adventure is waiting, and limitless, yet how long has it been since STAR TREK took us “Where no one has gone before”?

Some people say there are no more good TREK stories to tell. I submit that it hasnÂ’t even touched the tip of the iceberg. ItÂ’s just a matter of approaching the concept from the right angle, and telling stories that challenge viewers. Take a look at BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, or the re-launched DOCTOR WHO. Both of them took chances, both dared to soar beyond the expected in narrative and style. Both are commercially and critically successful.

Despite its occasionally uneven (but adjustable) nature, THE ACADEMY YEARS drives itself hard, and reaches for maximum impact – narrative in the script states it was gunning for a PG-13 rating. It takes chances, but stays true to where it came from.

Perhaps more than any other TREK producer so far, Bennett seems to understand what makes STAR TREK work, andÂ…above allÂ…he understands why it works. In THE ACADEMY YEARS, he and Loughery deftly walk that nearly impossible tightrope between familiar-yet-fresh. And thatÂ’s the exact tightrope someone needs to walk for this critically damaged franchise to live again.

42. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Thirteen...13 years ago...
    "Of Spock in those days..."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 22 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]1231102[/snapback]</div>

43. phase pistol

Eighteen, thirteen... got caught in a time warp I guess. :$

- k

44. Archie Opteryx

45. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Archie Opteryx @ May 5 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]1239044[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. There isn't even a official script yet.

46. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Archie Opteryx @ May 5 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]1239044[/snapback]</div>

:lol I hope not. :lol

47. phase pistol

Matt Damon will be Mr. Spock.

48. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

My wife, although a Trek fan, quite uncharacteristically asked me tonight about this upcoming Trek movie, asked me if they'd cast the young Spock yet, and then suggested this guy:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

This kid, Josh Hartnett really DOES look the part to me, and my wife says he's a pretty decent actor with good movie credits.

What do you guys think?

-Rabittooth

49. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

No kidding. I heard from a few people that Abrams wants Matt Damon to play Kirk and Affleck to play Spock.

ugh

50. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Well-Known Member

Damon won't be too bad. Affleck would be a nightmarish Spock.
    But I think my wife is right...this kid Harnett would be a cool Spock:

[​IMG]

:p :lol :D

-Rabittooth