New Trek Props / Star Trek XI

What. This is huge news. Change this thread title immediately to "JJ Abrams helming Star Trek XI". " :lol

Hm, what do I know about Abrams... he collects TOY ROBOTS, that's cool...

Oh and he co-wrote "Armageddon". Oh, man Trek XI is gonna suck. Aaaaaargh. :cry

Well hopefully not. :confused

But this tidbit isn't promising:

(The script) will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.[/b]

We Trekkies have been fearing THAT plot since the mid-eighties, when Harve Bennett (producer on the earlier Trek films) first came up with it...

- k

I've personally never liked the notion that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy all went to the Academy together.

I also really don't want to see Cadet Kirk and Spock...If they want to use those characters they should just set the film during THE five-year mission so we can see our heroes in their prime, NOT as trainees...

This makes no sense. Spock was with Pike on the Enterprise when Kirk was there. I mean Spock was in Starfleet decades before Kirk. Unless Spock is some kind of instructor it makes no sense.

Well, that's the ONE way it could work... Spock back from serving on the Enterprise... the only Vulcan in Starfleet... hmmm.... :rolleyes

But that's the ONLY way it could work. If they're both cadets together, they're throwing continuity out the window.

We just gotta hope they know what they're doing. Or put ME on the team to make sure they do it right. :p

- k

You also gotta wonder who the hell they will cast as the Young Kirk and Spock... and will they take it seriously, or will it be a "romp".

I dunno... this will either be the best thing since "Wrath of Khan".. or it won't.

- k

And what is up with this board software. If you try to make two consecutive replies (for, say, dramatic effect), it just concatenates them together. Sigh. :confused

- k

If this does pan out, I think a major problem will be finding actors that will fill the shoes of Shatner and Nimoy. Not saying these guys have BIG shoes, but lets face it, they are Kirk and Spock, and vice versa. Perhaps most movie goers might not "feel the pain" of other actors playing these parts, but we trekkies are a different breed.

*edit*

You also gotta wonder who the hell they will cast as the Young Kirk and Spock... and will they take it seriously, or will it be a "romp".[/b]

yeah... that, to :p

I think if this premise is true, we could see some interesting twists. Like, who would be the young Kirk and Spock? And what about McCoy. Didn't Kirk know Bones for a long time?

Academy days, yawn. Early Mission or the transition from Pike to Kirk, and some of those missions, now I am game.

Jim

There was a book called Enterprise by Vonda McIntyre that detailed Kirk's take over from Pike. It was pretty cool. Who will play the young characters?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 21 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]1230452[/snapback]</div>
If they're both cadets together, they're throwing continuity out the window.

[/b]

Yeah, Star trek has never done that before. :rolleyes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luke Warmwater @ Apr 21 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]1230478[/snapback]</div>
Yeah, Star trek has never done that before. :rolleyes
[/b]

And it sucks every time. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Apr 21 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1230477[/snapback]</div>
There was a book called Enterprise by Vonda McIntyre that detailed Kirk's take over from Pike. It was pretty cool. Who will play the young characters?
[/b]

There are so many wonderful novels they could do as movies that would just blow some of these sad scripts out of the water. McIntyre's work is but one of them, and of course nearly anythin by Peter David. I still wish they would adopt the Capt. Calhoun series, using Shelby as well, as that would be a great set of stories.

Reading the article I'm more than a bit nervous...is Berman still around? The article hints at it but I don't see him mentioned directly.

And I'm still pissed about the cancellation of Enterprise. I just re-watched a few of the last season episodes and man did it really hit it's stride just as they nuked it.

Oh man, I'm so jazzed about this :rolleyes

When are they going to learn that Star Trek subsists on its nerdy fans who know every little detail about the franchise, so when you poop on continuity and everything else that came before, no one's going to like it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(playskool2000 @ Apr 21 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]1230612[/snapback]</div>
...Star Trek subsists on its nerdy fans who know every little detail about the franchise, so when you poop on continuity and everything else that came before, no one's going to like it.
[/b]

Word.

WellI'mfinewith.... the... stoaryaslong.... asweget...... someonewho...... REALLYTALKSLIKE... KIRKand...... as.... long.... as.... we...don'tgetaversionofStarTrekthatscreams.....

TEENMOVIE..

/Joe F

Let's just pray there is no Willie Nelson or Johnny Noxville. Hollywood has hit the all-time creative low as far as I'm concerned. I think pulling the story from a novel would be great. It's a formula that you know works, why mess with it...And why did Klingon blood turn lava-lampish all of the sudden?.? They could....could try and come up with a completely unrecycled story/idea, but I doubt it will ever happen again until as a society we decide to riot.

Bud

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(playskool2000 @ Apr 21 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]1230612[/snapback]</div>
When are they going to learn that Star Trek subsists on its nerdy fans who know every little detail about the franchise, so when you poop on continuity and everything else that came before, no one's going to like it.
[/b]

Well that's just it. Who likes Star Trek? Trekkies like it. Do "normal people" like Star Trek? No, they do not.

So every time the studio tries to "grow the franchise" by "broadening the appeal" beyond the "niche demographic" (as it were), they fail. They keep trying to make "Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek", and it doesn't work.

Now... one thing we're going to have to find out, is whether JJ Abrams intends to "work within the boundaries of the franchise", or whether he intends to "reimagine" Star Trek ala Battlestar Galactica. The Variety article did call Abrams the "new Gene Roddenberry", which implies that Abrams has total and absolute control to do whatever he wants.

So we're just going to have to hope he knows what he's doing...

- K

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back