New Terminator Bluray

Alaneye

Sr Member
Had a bit of a search but couldn't find any references to this new release. It's only released in Europe at the moment, but it's region free if anyone over the pond is interested. Info on the release was very scarce, but rumor was that it was a brand new transfer. Turned out it was, and what a cracking transfer it is.

The Terminator : Screenshot Comparison 1

The Terminator : Screenshot Comparison 2

Superior in every way with a superb DTS-HD soundtrack (but only the new 5.1 mix). Can't wait to watch mine.

Al

The picture quality is indeed way better, but isn't the color timing off? The background and skin tones have that modern green feel to it. Maybe it's not entirely teal and orange, still the influence is visible especially in the first screenshot comparison.

Old_US_Remaster_UK_Blu_ray_Terminator.png

Old_US_Remaster_UK_Blu_ray_Terminator_image2.png

I just started running comparisons between upscaled DVDs that I own and blu-rays that I upgraded. I think there's a trend towards more neutral color timing in transfers these days. That may actually be the result of going back to source material instead of older transfers that were used for VHS/LD/DVD, where the transfer tended to be "warmer" rather than neutral.

I've noticed this on the North by Northwest blu-ray vs. DVD (ran the crop duster scene to see how they compared). Apparently they did the same thing with The Road Warrior which, for me, seems an odd choice.

But it may simply be that we all got used to 20 years (or more) of "warm" transfers when the original material was simply more neutral.

I'm not so sure about the colour corrections-

The pic of Kyle under the bridge I can sort of live with as it is a night scene and those tend to go with that bluish-green look we associate with nighttime, however-

I think they may have been a little agressive with the pic of Sarah- that's supposed to be in TechNoir right? The whole TechNoir sequence had a red hue to it from the dancefloor lights.

Unless that pic is of her in the bar where she gets a pizza and sees the news about the second Sarah Connor shooting? :unsure

At any rate the clarity is amazing! If it will play on my BD player I'll get a copy! Oh and that is one seriously cool boxart pic of Arnie!

EDIT- come to think of it I think that IS the scene of Sarah watching the news before she ends up in TechNoir.

Kevin

Last edited:
Wow! That is a true night and day difference! The white balance was so far red-shifted in both of those original shots it's not even funny. The images from the new transfer look amazing!

Oh and that is one seriously cool boxart pic of Arnie!
I just asked if that was the one as I'm not sure. Appears I went ahead and accidentally bought the regA version recently. BUMMER. From the description on that ones back I thought THAT was the new one.

EDIT- come to think of it I think that IS the scene of Sarah watching the news before she ends up in TechNoir.
Yup, that's the news scene at the diner.

Being that this is a UK release... is it the edited version?

Also... anyone getting it, could you please check what subtitle options there are on the disc? The DK release still only states "to be released" an no further info on a date, from what I've been able to find.

Being that this is a UK release... is it the edited version?

Also... anyone getting it, could you please check what subtitle options there are on the disc? The DK release still only states "to be released" an no further info on a date, from what I've been able to find.

Can't tell you Carsten, Amazon once again screwed up my release day delivery......

Rich

Side note on the color timing issue.

I dug around a bit on this issue (not specifically re: Terminator, but just in general), and it appears that a LOT of DVDs were "redder" like the "before" pics above. Raiders of the Lost Ark, North by Northwest, The Road Warrior, etc., etc.

One possible explanation for this that I've seen is that it had to do with the lower-resolution formats, and wanting to show a degree of detail in the shots. With the greater resolution and color space that BR can offer, films are beginning to look more "natural" and have more of a gradient between darks and lights.

Dunno if that's the answer, but that's one explanation I read that made me say "I guess that makes logical sense." Like, if they hadn't done that, the image would have looked even less detailed than it does now, simply due to the smaller range of colors available on the format. I don't know if this would get to some ridiculous extreme to where, say, everything looks cel-shaded, but it would look a lot less detailed than even the "redder" version does if left more "natural" like the BRs.

Thanks for that follow up explanation Dan. I read few other forum discussions where they addressed the excessive red in the color timing.

Though it's hard to take anyone's word for it, some claim the reddish hue was present during its theatrical run.

And as with the Aliens Blu-ray, which also had drastic changes in color timings I think Terminator is also being subjected to it and probably under Cameron's supervision. Either ways I think most viewers are happy with it. Till to this day I can't bring myself to watch the re-colored print of The Matrix (especially The Lobby Shootout scene) which was changed to match with the sequels.

Superior picture quality aside, the 80s look certainly appears to have dissolved.

Old_US_Remaster_UK_Blu_ray_Terminator_image3.png

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back