New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

I'm told that two of the images are actual photos! :)

Looks like the bottom of the handle is now one piece instead of having the plate like the renders. That's mildly disappointing.

Edited: well, it's late. Looks like the renders are slightly inconsistent in regards to the handle, so maybe they're not actually dumbing down the final product. That's good.

wand-vs-jein.jpg

Great shot! The only noticeable thing is the missing "step" under the rear setting/dial on the P2, making it sit a little short. Other than that, it looks amazing!!

If they go with the flat, round-end ribs on the side that will be interesting. I think they look great - a very thoughtful clean up of what are sort of blobby on the original.

What a tool bag I must be. I swear I searched that page for those keywords and found nada. Internet fail .... :facepalm

The fact that it's just kind of floating there without engaging the stand much (any?) made me wonder about the weight of the thing. The site says that the finished product is adjusted to weigh the same as the source prop, but I have no idea how much that might be. I wouldn't mind lightweight, but I'm hoping it has a little bit more to it than the hollow feeling Diamond Select phaser.

The fact that it's just kind of floating there without engaging the stand much (any?) made me wonder about the weight of the thing. The site says that the finished product is adjusted to weigh the same as the source prop, but I have no idea how much that might be. I wouldn't mind lightweight, but I'm hoping it has a little bit more to it than the hollow feeling Diamond Select phaser.

There is a magnetic base for the 10th Doctor's sonic and it holds it upright. The sonic has a decent weight. I'm sure the phaser can have a decent heft and still have the magnets handle the load.

The original prop would've weighed more than the Diamond Select. The grip was brass tubing, the body fiberglass, turned aluminum pieces and it had an everready battery and mechanical internals. So it had a little heft....and not nearly has heavy as the MR.

I'm really looking forward to this!

A couple good magnets in the bottom of the p2 handle and it ain't going anywhere, even of it weighs a few pounds. The magnets just have to be strong enough to keep it from tipping over or sliding - not support the full weight.

The original prop would've weighed more than the Diamond Select. The grip was brass tubing, the body fiberglass, turned aluminum pieces and it had an everready battery and mechanical internals. So it had a little heft....and not nearly has heavy as the MR.

I'm really looking forward to this!

So am I. Thanks for the interesting data on the original!

What a tool bag I must be. I swear I searched that page for those keywords and found nada. Internet fail .... :facepalm

Hey, don't worry about it man. We all have our off days, lol. Mention of the magnetic display base is pretty well intermingled with a lot of other things, so it can be easy to miss. Just FYI, it's first mentioned in the initial bullet-point list of features:

"- Supplied in specially-designed, protective transit case, with hidden-magnet, die cast metal display stand, USB charging cable, Enterprise screwdriver and illustrated poster manual"

Next, it's mentioned under the heading of "Display":

"- Highly accurate design using the first-ever 3D laser scans of the last known screen-used hero prop - High quality nickel and brass plated die cast metal parts - Detachable Phaser I and pistol grip - Magnetic metal display stand - Protective foam-lined transit and display case - Hand finished and lacquer coated"

And then also under the heading of "What's included":

"- Hidden magnet metal display stand with debossed text"

As far as weight is concerned, I believe the P2 body will be made of some sort of plastic (ABS?) with the handle being metal, so the bulk of the weight will be in the heavier handle. The magnets in the display base should be strong enough to hold that up.

Like MJF, I am waiting until Think Geek gets it...since their customer service is great in case there are any issues and all.

So I guess I know what I am getting for Christmas!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back