Limited Run NEW RUN! Star Trek Playmates Science Tricorder Electronics Upgrade kit

gmprops

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATED: I am doing a new run of 10 sets of upgrade electronics for the Playmates TNG Science tricorder. The electronics are designed to specifically fit the Playmates Science tricorder. These electronics include full lights and sounds that replicate the screen used hero props as close as possible; all of the sequencing lights run identically to the screen-used version and the sound is very authentic. And the best part: NO SOLDERING REQUIRED. The conversion/upgrade comes with a full step-by-step Instruction Manual (emailed to you) to help you prepare the tricorder body and install the electronics.
Here is what you will get with each kit:
- 3 fully assembled circuit boards (front sensor array board, top status indicator/sound board, and main control/viewscreen board).
- LiPo battery (300 mAh) with charging port and charging cable
- main power reed switch and magnet
- hardware pieces "greeblies" for the front sensor array
- Master sheet of color graphic decals.
- Step-by-step illustrated Instruction Manual (emailed to you)
- Wiring diagram and instruction sheet
Tracked Shipping is included in North America. Please PM me for tracked shipping rates to other locations in the world.

Each set of electronics is $140US (includes tracked shipping anywhere in N. America; International tracked shipping is an additional $10). PM me if you would like to purchase a set of these electronics.

PMS-Conversion.jpeg
PM-S-01.jpg
PM-S-02.jpg

IMG_3112.jpeg
IMG_3916.jpeg
PM-S-06c.jpg

Last edited:
There are still 3 of these sets of electronics available. PM me if interested.
I also have the Medical version available as well.

Hi I'm interested,are these kits quite expensive?
Each set of electronics is $135US.
It’s hard to judge what is too expensive for each person, but for me they seem like a pretty great deal. If you can get ahold of a Playmates Tricorder (I picked up an old one off eBay for about $40) then this kit should give you everything else needed. There’s a heap of lights, sounds, a battery, charging port. There’s new graphics for the screen, decals for the buttons. And it comes with an amazingly detailed and comprehensive instruction guide for the build. Doing all of this using off the shelf parts (including an Arduino or Pi for the sound and button functions) probably wouldn’t save you very much money and managing the wiring and the programming would be complex.
Looking around on Etsy or similar there’s unlikely to be a fully made option that’s as good and isn’t more expensive.
The one big caveat for this kit (and the others offered) is you need the shell to install it all in - either a Playmates one for this kit or one of the other available 3rd party Tricorder kits for the other versions. You may be able to design and 3d print a shell for it but you just need to make sure everything lines up. Finally, I looked back through multiple threads, and the OP has been making and selling these kits for years and has had amazing feedback and reviews from buyers. It’s a tried and tested solution.

For me, it was an easy decision to pick one of those up, so much so that just a few days after ordering I messaged the OP and ordered one of the phaser kits as well, which he was kind enough to ship in the same package.
As long as you can get the appropriate shell for these they are a brilliant way to get a beautiful replica with amazing functionality.

I now have 3 sets of these electronics available to ship. I also have a set of the medical version available. PM me if interested.

Only 7 sets of the Science version remain. But there are 2 Medical version sets that have now joined this run.

PMU-M12 (1).jpeg
PMU-M13.jpg
PMU-M05.jpg
PMU-M03.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back