New RPF Sites Issues - CLOSED (please search for or start a thread for new issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is lower on the priority list since it isn't a functionality issue, but we will look into it and see if we can't make that happen.

In my mind, all the things I listed should be at the VERY BOTTOM of your priority list. They don't affect my ability to enjoy the site, they're just minor UX issues, which -- as you know -- are like wet sanding, done at the very end to make the piece really pop.

So prioritize the actual issues first. :lol

On a good note: I find I'm visiting Paper Props more now that I don't have to go back to the home page to get to it. So that's awesome! I'm sure we'll all find little things like that with the new design over the coming weeks and months.

I really do think the site design is a HUGE leap forward. I always felt it was a little too "2004" before, and maybe the fact that you guys jumped nearly a decade forward with the design in 48 hour might explain some of the push back.

Keep up the awesome work!

-Nick

PS: The Smilies look fantastic with this skin. ;)

I really do think the site design is a HUGE leap forward. I always felt it was a little too "2004" before, and maybe the fact that you guys jumped nearly a decade forward with the design in 48 hour might explain some of the push back.

I agree with you whole-heartedly and the pushback was expected. What we didn't realize where just how many usability issues there would be (and the overall site lag is maddening... can't wait to get the expert in on that one. We take it all in stride and consider it growing pains, but overall, we are very very happy with the way things are going.

PS: The Smilies look fantastic with this skin. ;)

You can thank Alan Castillo for that. We initially had them monochrome and he demanded color versions. They are considerably desaturated from the previous versions, but we feel that they bring just enough pop to be noticable.

Perhaps related to the request in post #37, there doesn't seem to be a link to go to oldest unread message in a particular thread. In other words, there used to be a link to go to the where I left off reading since my last visit in each particular thread. Or am I just missing the new link? Thanks!

Last edited:
Perhaps related to the request in post #37, there doesn't seem to be a link to go to oldest unread message in a particular thread. In other words, there used to be a link to go to the where I left off reading since my last visit in each particular thread. Or am I just missing the new link?

Thanks,
Magnoli

It's only a problem for those of us that use the "new posts" function, and Art says it's on the list of things to do.

Not a problem or a bug as such (and I know it is trivial) but since I noticed it I thought I would mention it, the site has two seperate drop down menus called 'Community', each containing different links. Just seems alittle odd to me.

Anyway, thank you for all the work you are doing.

We have now adjusted links so that they now are underlined. We are going to have to go back and try to strip that out of certain areas like "who's online" but the important thing is, we have addressed the immediate concern of links not being readily obvious.

Just a thought - can the text in the threads be a shade or two darker than it is? I understand why it's so a'mighty small, the ads are a major source of revenue, but just perusing one thread made my eyes tired. If it's a big fix, then don't worry, but if it's just a quick change - not black, necessarily, but just a bit darker.

Just a thought - can the text in the threads be a shade or two darker than it is? I understand why it's so a'mighty small, the ads are a major source of revenue, but just perusing one thread made my eyes tired. If it's a big fix, then don't worry, but if it's just a quick change - not black, necessarily, but just a bit darker.

Do you mean this text that you are reading here or the text in the threadlist? We have bumped up this font to 14px.

i, as well as wuite a few others it seems, really miss having the page numbers underneath the threads, so you can click on X page, instead of going INTO the thread, and THEN clicking.

i, as well as wuite a few others it seems, really miss having the page numbers underneath the threads, so you can click on X page, instead of going INTO the thread, and THEN clicking.
We are working on restoring that.

Restored the pagination to the thread list so you can now easily see a link to the last thread page. However, I think there is some confusion about how to use the threadlist page. Going to whip together a quick tutorial.

Hold down CTRL and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to enlarge or shrink the font size.

As I said in the other thread, that button only exists if you manually navigate to a forum or sub forum, it's not there if you use the "New posts" option.
Sorry about that. I don't use the new posts button so I didn't know it was an issue.

For the nostalgic, you can have this...

And the more daring can have something like this
lol.gif

They have gorgeous pastels to choose from too
lol.gif

Point is for those who are unhappy, there is a solution to make everybody happy.
Glad you like it
lol.gif

I'm OK with most of the new stuff. I can find my way around, and the real problems are already fixed or soon will be. Thanks for the hard work on that guys :thumbsup But the color scheme was too much (or not enough, depending on your point of view) and No Squint gave me a solution for it. Of course I had to figure out the difference between "site settings" and "global settings"
lol.gif
Global applied my changes on every site :facepalm

I like your orange theme Alan, it looks like it'll be cool for Halloween
lol.gif

attachment.php

The 'We are testing' notice will of course be gone eventually.

The space to the right of the rolling banner ... well, still being decided what to put in it.

The banner to the left of the empty box, though is too big. No annoucement helps a lot, but still, at full screen height, 1920x1200, 2/3 of the page is taken up with header information before I get to the first topic. At that I see 5-6 topics and the rest is header. It's just too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back