New Muppet show?

It's only good news if the show turns out to be good. These last few installments of the Muppet line hasn't been up to par, to say the least. However, Muppets: Most Wanted was better than that last one, but it wasn't much of a competition.

Sadly I think the Muppets time has come and gone........:(

True, sad but true...the last couple of movies are not very good. The Muppet most wanted wasn't too bad. I think the real actor cast helped save it. They just can't seem to get the magic right. I still laugh and enjoy the old Muppet show and movies. Most Muppet fans are older these days too. Kids just are not into them unless their parents are. If they bring the show back. I think they need to remove a few muppets...ok just the littke brother one from the movie. I hated that one so much. Can't go wrong with more Sam eagle too

I think that is the biggest problem, the next generation just isn't in to them and the new movies just didn't satisfy us older fans.

At least we have the old series and Movies! :thumbsup

Kids just are not into them unless their parents are.

...They just can't seem to get the magic right. I still laugh and enjoy the old Muppet show and movies. Most Muppet fans are older these days too. Kids just are not into them unless their parents are...

That's what it is; that's exactly what it is. That magic, I think, was all in the material. Kids liked it because it was silly puppets but adults could get into it because they got the humor; the reason why you had all these comedy greats in the original show. I think they've had a real hard time with that balance ever since Disney gobbled them up and failed to see there's a clear distinction from them and the Sesame Street crew. It's like comparing old Disney toons to WB toons; sure they're both cartoons but the humor between them is what skews them so far apart.

What I see with them now, compared to then, is how precious they're presented as now. In their original show, the Muppets were anarchic and very self-defacing with jokes to not only them but show business, in general. Most Wanted kind of touched on this but I thought that if the whole movie wasn't about a heist but about the Muppets trying to stay relevant, that would've been more interesting. We'd actually have a movie about the Muppets and not something with the Muppets. Another big problem I see with them today.

I, too, LOVED the first film. The second film was fun, but didn't have as much heart.

As for this new show, glad to hear they'd bring it back to TV. NOT enamored of the writing crew.

It will be great if :
A. Waldorf and Statler are major characters.
B. Will Ferrell guest stars
C. Uncle Deadly is in it a lot.
D. Animal isn't the main character. I like Animal but I can only take so much.
E. Crazy Harry.......

It will be great if :

B. Will Ferrell guest stars.

image.jpg

That's what it is; that's exactly what it is. That magic, I think, was all in the material.

(if) we'd actually have a movie about the Muppets and not something with the Muppets. Another big problem I see with them today.

Exactly! The Muppets under Henson and Oz had such a gentle humor. These days no one can write without injecting their own cynicism into the mix, and that damages the final product.
That and make them the stars, not the setting.

waldorf and stadler:

"they say all good things come to an end"

"whats that got to do with this show?"

i loved growing up with muppetshow but i doubt it would still work

I really think the days of the Muppets has passed, at least as far as movies anyway. I haven't really enjoyed one since the second or third movie.

But I do think it could work on TV again, if done right. It would be hard, though. While I actually liked Muppet Babies, you would really need to get that out of your head. The original Muppet Show had an adult wit that grown ups could relate to, good music, and great guest stars. If you tuned into The Muppet Show thinking you were going to get Sesame Street, you were sadly disappointed. It was so much better. They need to bring all that back. I like the idea of a variety type show better than some kind of muppet sitcom.

Don't forget the masterminds behind The Muppets. Without them they are just a bunch of puppets with no soul. What they would need is someone with the same heart and humor as Henson who held true the type of material they did back then and doing that now. Once in a while I see a little something in it, but with the new Muppets stuff overall they're just not what they used to be.

Jim Henson was THE MAN.

True, sad but true...the last couple of movies are not very good. The Muppet most wanted wasn't too bad. I think the real actor cast helped save it. They just can't seem to get the magic right. I still laugh and enjoy the old Muppet show and movies. Most Muppet fans are older these days too. Kids just are not into them unless their parents are. If they bring the show back. I think they need to remove a few muppets...ok just the littke brother one from the movie. I hated that one so much. Can't go wrong with more Sam eagle too
HAHAHA

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that one of the problems that a new Muppet show would suffer from, if you used the same format as the original, would be you'd have a hard time getting A list actors to do guest appearances on it. Now a days, the only special appearances that big named actors do are interviews on talk shows and SNL, but very seldomly do you see them on any sort reality show of any kind which makes me believe that you wouldn't see any on a new Muppet Show. They'd probably only get old, washed up actors that are just a step above the ones you see in the dealers room at cons, and some minor celebrities like the ones you see on Dancing with the Stars and other such "celebrity" shows these days.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back