New Muppet show?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Paul Andrew, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Trooper_trent and jcoffman99 like this.
  2. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's only good news if the show turns out to be good. These last few installments of the Muppet line hasn't been up to par, to say the least. However, Muppets: Most Wanted was better than that last one, but it wasn't much of a competition.

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sadly I think the Muppets time has come and gone........:(

4. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

True, sad but true...the last couple of movies are not very good. The Muppet most wanted wasn't too bad. I think the real actor cast helped save it. They just can't seem to get the magic right. I still laugh and enjoy the old Muppet show and movies. Most Muppet fans are older these days too. Kids just are not into them unless their parents are. If they bring the show back. I think they need to remove a few muppets...ok just the littke brother one from the movie. I hated that one so much. Can't go wrong with more Sam eagle too

5. Apollo

I think that is the biggest problem, the next generation just isn't in to them and the new movies just didn't satisfy us older fans.

At least we have the old series and Movies! :thumbsup

6. PoopaPapaPalps

That's what it is; that's exactly what it is. That magic, I think, was all in the material. Kids liked it because it was silly puppets but adults could get into it because they got the humor; the reason why you had all these comedy greats in the original show. I think they've had a real hard time with that balance ever since Disney gobbled them up and failed to see there's a clear distinction from them and the Sesame Street crew. It's like comparing old Disney toons to WB toons; sure they're both cartoons but the humor between them is what skews them so far apart.

What I see with them now, compared to then, is how precious they're presented as now. In their original show, the Muppets were anarchic and very self-defacing with jokes to not only them but show business, in general. Most Wanted kind of touched on this but I thought that if the whole movie wasn't about a heist but about the Muppets trying to stay relevant, that would've been more interesting. We'd actually have a movie about the Muppets and not something with the Muppets. Another big problem I see with them today.

7. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

I actually liked both of those movies a whole lot. The first moreso.

8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I, too, LOVED the first film. The second film was fun, but didn't have as much heart.

As for this new show, glad to hear they'd bring it back to TV. NOT enamored of the writing crew.

9. Crazybug00

Crazybug00 Active Member

It will be great if :
    A. Waldorf and Statler are major characters.
    B. Will Ferrell guest stars
    C. Uncle Deadly is in it a lot.
    D. Animal isn't the main character. I like Animal but I can only take so much.
    E. Crazy Harry.......

10. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

image.jpg

Apollo likes this.
  11. Crazybug00

Crazybug00 Active Member

dbuck likes this.
  12. Bronson BB

Bronson BB Well-Known Member

Exactly! The Muppets under Henson and Oz had such a gentle humor. These days no one can write without injecting their own cynicism into the mix, and that damages the final product.
    That and make them the stars, not the setting.

13. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

waldorf and stadler:

"they say all good things come to an end"

"whats that got to do with this show?"

i loved growing up with muppetshow but i doubt it would still work

14. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I really think the days of the Muppets has passed, at least as far as movies anyway. I haven't really enjoyed one since the second or third movie.

But I do think it could work on TV again, if done right. It would be hard, though. While I actually liked Muppet Babies, you would really need to get that out of your head. The original Muppet Show had an adult wit that grown ups could relate to, good music, and great guest stars. If you tuned into The Muppet Show thinking you were going to get Sesame Street, you were sadly disappointed. It was so much better. They need to bring all that back. I like the idea of a variety type show better than some kind of muppet sitcom.

Axlotl and PoopaPapaPalps like this.
  15. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't forget the masterminds behind The Muppets. Without them they are just a bunch of puppets with no soul. What they would need is someone with the same heart and humor as Henson who held true the type of material they did back then and doing that now. Once in a while I see a little something in it, but with the new Muppets stuff overall they're just not what they used to be.

Jim Henson was THE MAN.

Axlotl and Apollo like this.
  16. Apollo

Yeah bottom line is the Muppets died with him.

I had high hopes for Brian but sadly it just is not there.

It was, and still is, as it ever will be, a tremendous loss the day we lost Jim. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Axlotl likes this.
  17. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Apollo and Treadwell like this.
  18. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

HAHAHA

Axlotl and Apollo like this.
  19. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I think that one of the problems that a new Muppet show would suffer from, if you used the same format as the original, would be you'd have a hard time getting A list actors to do guest appearances on it. Now a days, the only special appearances that big named actors do are interviews on talk shows and SNL, but very seldomly do you see them on any sort reality show of any kind which makes me believe that you wouldn't see any on a new Muppet Show. They'd probably only get old, washed up actors that are just a step above the ones you see in the dealers room at cons, and some minor celebrities like the ones you see on Dancing with the Stars and other such "celebrity" shows these days.

20. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

You're probably right.

21. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think most actors would jump at the chance.

22. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

That was my thought. Actors in their 30's would probably love to show up on a new muppet show.

23. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Right, but they have to be funny and good actors / music guest. If ones of the K's show up on the show. I seriously would burn all my Muppet stuff...no joke. Seeing it's ABC/Dinsey I wouldn't have to worry about it, but you never know.

Apollo likes this.
  24. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

25. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJkusicBa4

I was SO looking forward to this..then I see it's in "The Office" format.

I HATE that format.

What they ironically have Gonzo say in the trailer is actually correct. It's lazy and annoying.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm probably going to have to skip the new Muppet show. :(

26. PoopaPapaPalps

Yeeeeah. I don't know about this.

27. Apollo

:eek EEEYIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek

28. Room8

Room8 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this. I still find the comedy of the original Muppets show funny many years after initially watching it in middle school.

29. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Um. No.
    Easy pass.
    I don't want muppets that act like people, I want muppets that act like muppets.

Apollo likes this.
  30. Crazybug00

Crazybug00 Active Member

I'll definitely give it a shot.

31. Apollo

Totally agree, and that is why this Franchise continues to fail :unsure

32. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

I didn't see Muppets acting like people, I saw them dealing with real people things like Muppets would, and I think it's a genius move. This looks like a lot of fun to me.

33. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Not loving the concept of the show structure. But I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

34. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I don't get it.
    It's not a variety show?
    Why isn't it a variety show?
    I'm so disappoint :(

35. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Because a variety show probably wouldn't do too well these days. Outside of SNL I don't think we've had anything resembling a successful variety show since the '90s. I don't think that most Americans would watch a variety show, Muppets or no Muppets, these days, I think that ship set sail a long time ago.

36. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I think a variety show could totally work these days.
    Just 2 weeks ago the whole Avengers crew was doing the PR rounds together.
    Imagine the cast of the Avengers goofing off and poking fun at themselves - on the Muppet Show!
    You'd watch. I'd watch. Everybody would watch. It'd be the coolest thing since Mark Hamill's Muppet Show appearance.
    Now imagine Lady Gaga and Tony Bennet - with Muppets!
    Christian Bale and Gonzo doing a Dork Knight skit.
    It would totally work, and everybody who's anybody would want to be a part of it, just like in the old days.

37. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

While you and I, along with most of the rest of the RPF might like the idea we make up a tiny portion of the TV viewing audience nation wide and I'm not sure the rest of this country is interested in a variety show. That and it also seems to be very difficult to get A list actors on anything but SNL & talk shows these days; every other reality show since the '90s that have involved celebs always have either people who are pretty low on the celebrity totem pole or has beens. I suspect that it's largely a matter of cost, big name A list actors are just too expensive to get and with social media there's less need for them to make appearances on anything and everything to get their names and faces out there. There's probably a certain amount of their reps wanting to carefully maintain their client's image so they've become very selective of what their clients appear on and if there's a perception by the general public that variety shows are passe then you can bet that they won't let their clients appear on one.

Cameron likes this.
  38. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I think you're wrong.
    We'll just have to wait and see how Joe Public receives The Office with Puppets (I doubt it will last 1 season).

39. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I agree it ought to be a variety show. Muppets work best in short spurts of vaudeville-esque humor. After about the second Muppet movie I was tired of 90 minute Muppet stories.
    Bring back the fast shotgun humor. The original Muppet show had that variety yet still always had an underlying plot going on backstage in every episode.

40. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

The Muppets on ABC....

It's pretty obvious that jim henson WAS the muppets. he was the creative brain child of the whole thing that knew how to bring heart and fun and spot new talent.

Everything since jimhenson has left me feeling just kind of... whelmed. Treasure Island and Christmas Carol where OK (the latter being far better)....but they where theme movies..something I think the muppets where above sinking too. Muppets from space tried to bring it back down to earth, but we didn't really need to know where gonzo came from....and I don't thinnk it ever explained how or why he was sent to earth ;o).

then they did a bunch of forgettable tv movies. two christmas ones. probably just to give the replacement voices a chance to get used the charatcters.
    Then came Muppets and Most Wanted. the first movie relied way too much on nostalgia. it wasn't bad, but it wasn't really funny either. the second one was a little better, but again, not so much on crazy, zany and funny. that seemed to have died with jim.

I feel like this new pilot is finally a step in the right direction. It made me laugh more than the other productions did. I think scooter hadthe best scene and Sam had the best lines. I could have done without the blatant cross promotion (dancing with the stars, who doesn't know about thatby now?) Mac Book air (what, apple needs help selling things andgetting the word out?) and Imagine Dragons (nothing funny about them and they added nothing to the show.....you listen to radio and you either know who they are by now or don't.)

but, I guess that's modern tv these days. one reason why I don't watch as much...

but,still it was a great first episode.

41. greedo

greedo Active Member

Re: The Muppets on ABC....

I loved it

42. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Super Green !!!!!

43. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

It was like The Muppets do Larry Sanders...Totally Enjoyed it.

44. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

The new muppet show is great. Kermit is such a sly frog. I can't believe he traded in miss piggy for a younger hotter pig. Yes I said hotter pig.

Riceball likes this.
  45. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I really enjoyed it. I'll be watching this one every week. I kind of left the Muppets after the first couple of movies, haven't really cared for any of their stuff since, but this seemed really new and fresh.

And of course I saw something yesterday where some parents were criticizing it for being too strong for young children. * parents, they ruin everything.

Axlotl and KrangPrime like this.
  46. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

I thought it was a good first show. I wasn't sure but once I saw the old men in the crowd I had to watch. And who knew Kermit was so sly to trade in piggy for a younger model

47. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Watched it this morning. Really really enjoyed it. I love that Sam is in charge of Standards and Practices. "Can't say hell."

KrangPrime likes this.
  48. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

they missed a great tom bergeron joke. Pepe should have said something along the lines of 'Kermit... have you SEEN the lineup of the show the past few seasons? Tom Bergeron IS the biggest star there!'..

another missed muppet joke. Tom Bergeron waits to find out if he's on the show or not in a little star room...Scooter comes in and says.. Mr.Bergeron, Mr.Bergeron, we're waiting to see if your going on.......scooter looks out door....dancing music plays when Tom announces people voted off....
    still plays....still plays...a minute later... "Now I know how the audience feels!'... this could have been a running gag....;o)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  49. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I just hope they are going to be able to incorporate sketches into the show somehow. I'm afraid that if this is done purely as a "reality" show it might run out of steam fast.

50. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

that's what felt off about the imagine dragons bit. in the original show, if they had a guest on singing, something muppety and zany would come in to interupt it, and the guest and muppets would find a way to wreck the segment.

with that last skit, just having animal fall through the drum while so much of the song was heard, didn't cut it.