New Episode 7 X-wing

I think the new X-wing is a future classic, it's beautiful! I've been excited by it from the moment I saw that vid with J.J. standing in front of the full size version. I want a 1/24 model of it.

The Millennium Falcon in the trailer, however, looks odd to me. It's a CGI version of her and while the proportions may be right and the camera angle in the Disney high resolution images is what it is, the details just look way too "thin". Maybe it's just an early version of the one we'll eventually see in the finished movie.

I agree with you the falcon looks too flat. its a problem I've also seen with a ton of fan film versions. i hope they beef it up a little so its more in line with the OT

The new speeder bike is pretty cool. The movement of it seems a bit rigid though. It kind of reminds me of Luke's land speeder turned on its side, or an orange bar of soap with engines, but I still like it.

ep7-speederbike.png

I have always felt that digital falcon models looked flatter than the studio scale.
My theory is that fine molds used the digital falcon from the special edition to make their 1/72

I have always felt that digital falcon models looked flatter than the studio scale.
My theory is that fine molds used the digital falcon from the special edition to make their 1/72

I wish FineMolds would have had ILM's digital Falcon to make their 1/72.....there wouldnt have been so many inconsisities,....the FM Falcon is way off

I think the digital Falcon is a scan of the 32", which isn't as curvy as the 5foot

J

I really like the new X-wings. Obviously different but still has the overall feel of the originals. I am surprised to see the Empire still using TIE fighters (as opposed to TIE interceptors or some newer variant) but the pylons do look different. Perhaps thicker?

Here's a question: Do we know if *any* studio models are being used? I will admit I was disappointed to see CG ships in the trailer. A while back, I thought I had read here somewhere that "someone that knew someone" said that a lot of modellers in the business were being rounded up to build ships and such for the new movies, in the vein of the OT. The trailer, albeit very brief, suggests otherwise.

The new speeder bike is pretty cool. The movement of it seems a bit rigid though. It kind of reminds me of Luke's land speeder turned on its side, or an orange bar of soap with engines, but I still like it.

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/ep7-speederbike.png

I think it looks too bulky. This is set years after Episode VI and in that one they had speeder bikes that were fast and trim. This one has a windscreen that doesn't even work to protect the rider. It looks like something that fell off the drawing board for Episode I.

TazMan2000

The windscreen of many motorcycles isn´t much bigger either...
The driver´s position on top of the engines is more unrealistic, which not much isolation between the engines and the legs. But I guess in the SW universe engines don´t get hot. ;)

I don't think that cgi speeder is the finished article, on the close up of her there is stuff strapped to the side, like a maul saber styled pike. On the gci one it s not there :)

Yeah, she is supposed to live or hide out on the wreck of a toppled AT-AT, she makes good of what she finds, this speeder looks more industrial than personal

J

I gotta note that the "new x-wing" isn't really new at all if you look at the original concept art design from the 70s.

JJ is paying homage to that I guarantee it

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

I gotta note that the "new x-wing" isn't really new at all if you look at the original concept art design from the 70s.

JJ is paying homage to that I guarantee it

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

That was obvious from the first sight of the new X-wing in that video with J.J. Abrams. The new design takes a lot of cues from the Ralph McQuarrie concept fighter, things like the shape of the engine intakes and the stripes across the top of the hull (in front of the cockpit). The thing that differs from the RMQ concept is the way the wings open, in my eyes the split wing arrangement makes the fighter look really mean. I think I'm going to call them "Stiletto" fighters. :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back