New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

Looks nice, roygilsing! Is the 2.4 x 5.8mm a measurement of the head and mandrel, or...? Can you explain what those measurements refer to? Thanks!

These are the measurements of the mandril, as you call it: diameter (to fit the hole) and length (to fit the parts you want to fixate). This is the standard way to specify rivets. The head is not defined (doesn't matter for normal purposes!). In this case the head has a 4.5mm diameter.

These are the measurements of the mandril, as you call it: diameter (to fit the hole) and length (to fit the parts you want to fixate). This is the standard way to specify rivets. The head is not defined (doesn't matter for normal purposes!). In this case the head has a 4.5mm diameter.
Thanks for the verification, Roy.

to fit the parts you want to fixate

This is super nitpicky since your English is excellent and better than a lot of native speakers, but the word you want here is "affix," not "fixate." Fixate (or a fixation) in English is more like a psychological attachment or obsession. E.g. I am fixated on affixing these rivets to the Graflex.

This is super nitpicky since your English is excellent and better than a lot of native speakers, but the word you want here is "affix," not "fixate." Fixate (or a fixation) in English is more like a psychological attachment or obsession. E.g. I am fixated on affixing these rivets to the Graflex.

Thanks! I didn't know that! I think I must have made that mistake more often. So thanks for letting me know.

Thanks! I didn't know that! I think I must have made that mistake more often. So thanks for letting me know.

You're welcome! It seems to be a pretty easy mixup to make, for what that's worth – I've seen several non-native speakers online make the same or similar mistake in the last couple months. (The worst was a technician who used "fixation" as a synonym for "repair.")

Wow. I'm away for a little while and look what I miss!
Trying to catch up on this thread. It's REALLY long.
Great discovery and solid research.

The double rivet D-ring is hard to see, but how did we ever miss those two side rivets?

Detail from pic of Luke and Obi-wan looking out at Mos Eisley...
EP4_BTS_448_c.jpg

The double rivet D-ring is hard to see, but how did we ever miss those two side rivets?

View attachment 1059117

Great picture! This picture proofs beyond any doubt that the promo shoot saber was a screen used hero saber. If there was any doubt about it.

View attachment 1059117

HOLY CRAP ON A CRUTCH!

Do you know what you just did?!?!?

You not only proved that the mystery rivets are on the screenused prop(s), but that the toe pic/publicity saber is also a (or THE) screenused hero!!!!

View attachment 1059117
Dude...
...am...am I seeing four mystery rivets in between two pairs of grips in that photo...?
I'm seeing it too. Holy Moly this is nuts!

lonepigeon what's the orientation of the clamp in that shot and THANK YOU for sharing this. In fact thank you all. I don't like commenting in this thread because there's nothing I could add at all to the knowledge here but this is very exciting!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back