New BMF coming

I started chopping up my Falcon tonight and I gotta say, I dunno how you folks do it. I've snapped 4 xacto blades in the process of removing the "landing stubs" and some of the underside recessed pieces.

No lost fingers, though, thank goodness!
One thing you should watch out for...While working on the inside/sides of the ship I managed to get little dings on the corners of some of the details...so make sure you rest the falcon on a towel or something when cutting it up.

Also..Im using a pretty thick exacto knife..I would not try an arrow tipped one..

Last edited:
One thing you should watch out for...While working on the inside/sides of the ship I managed to get little dings on the corners of some of the details...so make sure you rest the falcon on a towel or something when cutting it up.

Also..Im using a pretty thick exacto knife..I would not try and arrow tipped one..

Too late! :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I'm finding that hitting the thing with even a regular hairdryer for a minute before cutting made it go really, really easily. The plastic doesn't need to get super hot, and it stays soft long enough to give you a decent amount of working time with cuts.

I might try this when I do up the sides, thanks!

I found out with due diligence, I can get the things I need cut if I take is slow and firm (huh-huh!).

Going slow is the best way...and the guide cut!...pretty much you want to try and make important cuts right the 1st time...because fixing things will be a nightmare on this dumpster plastic! :)

Sacrificed a few blades last night cutting out the windows on the cockpit. I also made sure to trim down the tabs on the clip in parts, that way I can slip them in and out without trouble.

Now in the process of cutting off the moulded cable/hose detail so I can replace it. Real trouble in those wells, especially with this plastic, it's like mozzarella cheese - smooth on the surface, but cut into it and you've go a bird's nest! A very brief pass with a lighter gets rid of the fluff easy enough, though I'm thinking of cutting them off completely and building my own using some spares. I'm not used to doing this much work, can;t wait to get onto using regular styrene.

Yeah he certainly has, I was more interested that they always intended a square dish as an option , I wonder when they originally switched from rebel blockade runner to millenium falcon did they ever consider the square radar , but discarded due to visual similarities ,, it would be great if ILM had a archive shot of this

This is a very good approach John! Thanks.

I'm confused with the side shape of the dish...

It's should be the same. The cockpit cone is only longer at the rear to compensate for the shorter cockpit tube.

Not really. It has already been posted here. The 32 inch cabin cone is longer and it has also more space at the back. You can see the comparison with the Hasbro standard cone. I don't remember who posted this shot.

MF CABIN CONE comparison HASBRO VS 32 INCH.jpg

My bad.

Several members posted/reposted this comparison shot. I was aware of the longer cockpit cone but have just become aware of the longer INTERNAL cockpit set for the longer cone, thinking the now shorter cockpit was equally suitable for the long cockpit cone as well as the shorter one. I'll have to add the long cockpit to my list when they are available.

Not really. It has already been posted here. The 32 inch cabin cone is longer and it has also more space at the back. You can see the comparison with the Hasbro standard cone. I don't remember who posted this shot.

View attachment 421776

I started chopping up my Falcon tonight and I gotta say, I dunno how you folks do it. I've snapped 4 xacto blades in the process of removing the "landing stubs" and some of the underside recessed pieces.

No lost fingers, though, thank goodness!

Hey guys, use a heat gun or a hair dryer on the parts you want to cut out. Just a few seconds with the heat gun or a bit longer with the hair dryer and it will soften up the area.

I've been making panoramas from the photo surveys of the 32" Falcon on that OneDrive archive and noticed something....I think. Am I loosing my mind, or is the armor panel directly below the blaster damage on the port side by the radar longer than any of the other ones (meaning it overhangs the sidewalls more than any other panel)?

I've been making panoramas from the photo surveys of the 32" Falcon on that OneDrive archive and noticed something....I think. Am I loosing my mind, or is the armor panel directly below the blaster damage on the port side by the radar longer than any of the other ones (meaning it overhangs the sidewalls more than any other panel)?

I'm not 100% sure if I know exactly the spot you mean, but I do know the overhang of the panels have clearly broken off on the sides in spots....or do you mean its just a tiny bit longer?..

I'm not 100% sure if I know exactly the spot you mean, but I do know the overhang of the panels have clearly broken off on the sides in spots....or do you mean its just a tiny bit longer?..

I don't think it's longer,....cant compare it to the opposing side,....I think it just looks long because of the broken panel beside it.....dunno?
ScreenShot2015-01-05at072832_zpse1c2f48e.png

This is her before she was mistreated:
ScreenShot2015-01-05at073731_zpsecfd31e1.png

J

I had wondered could you stitch the images together , how did it work for you .

She sure has. Definitely needs a full on restoration to repair/place broken and missing parts. They restored the Blockade Runner back to how it looked in the opening of Star Wars so there is no reason why that can't restore this ol' gal.

Hi guys!

Some of you asked me about doing the engine louver arms for the Hasbro, the ones replica of the 32" Falcon arms. So here it goes! Already at Shapeways.

They're 23 mm long, more or less.

MILLENNIUM FALCON HASBRO ENGINE LOUVER ARM 32 INCH.jpg

I've seen Jaitea chopping the bad ones of the Hasbro, so... :D:cool

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back