new ABC series 'Once Upon a Time'

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by jedimarkj, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

Didn't see a thread about this yet but did anyone catch ABC's new tv series "Once Upon a Time" this past Sunday?

I thought the pilot/first episode was a bit slow but I certainly enjoyed it and did keep me captivated.

What did you guys think about?

2. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

I liked it, the premise is novel enough, and the mixing of fairy tales and similar lore is interesting. We'll have to see how it goes.

3. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I enjoyed it, was a little slow, but kept me interested aswell. I hope it works because it has a good base to build upon.

4. JesterSB

JesterSB New Member

My wife and I enjoyed it and and hope it sticks around. The premise is fantastic.

5. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Didn't watch it, don't intend to. For the last several seasons, ABC has really been living up to the interpretation of their call letters that goes as follows: Already Been Cancelled. The new version of V was the last straw for me. I refuse to watch any new SF or Fantasy shows on ABC, as they've burned me far too many times now. :angry:thumbsdown

6. Java

Java Sr Member

They cast the Evil Queen pretty darn well. Hoo wee...hate her!

Looking forward to seeing what Rumpelstiltskin is up to.

protokev DMD likes this.
  7. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

It this that thing that looks like it's "Law & Order: Fairytale Land" from the ads?

8. jedimarkj

Hrmm, I think you may be mistaking Once Upon a Time with another upcoming show, "Grimm"

9. cboath

cboath Master Member

That's called Grimm and is on this Friday on NBC.

I thought this show was great. I thought one of the older commercials said the guys from Lost were behind, maybe just writers, don't recally recall.

Can't wait for more.

10. MasterDurangus

MasterDurangus Well-Known Member

I watched the premiere on Hulu the other night, very interesting premise. Wonderfully cast as well with Jennifer Morrison, Robert Carlyle and of course, the evil Queen Lana Parrilla. The storyline was complex and a little slow, but I'm intrigued by it. Not sold on it, but interested. We shall have to see where it goes.

11. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, there was something off about the pacing, but by the end of the episode, I was won over by the concept. That ending was enough to get me to tune in. Everything coalesced by the final image. Hopefully the execution picks up and the show finds it's stride.

12. Spylocke

Spylocke Member

I concur, just watched it yesterday (Thank the LORD for my DVR). I did enjoy the concept and I think it should be interesting to see what they do with it. I will definitely be watching the next few weeks!

I watched Grimm last night, too. And it's interesting, as well, but less than "Once Upon a Time".

13. jedimarkj

Anyone catch last night's episode? I thought it was great and picked up substantially, great character development of the Queen... And how about that exchange between the Queen and Rumpelstiltskin at the end?!

14. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I'm enjoying the show so far. I like the take on the classic characters. A co-worker asked if Disney was involved. I know most of the characters are public domain, but what about Jiminy Cricket and Malificent?

It was neat to see "Gus" from "Breaking Bad" speaking with out an accent

15. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am really enjoying Once Upon a Time, that evil queen is written so well! I am really looking forward to seeing how all this plays out.

Two thumbs up from me! :thumbsup :thumbsup

16. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

I really liked it.:thumbsup
    Originally I was going to not support it by watching as ABC was in talks a few years ago to bring the comic book Fables to TV, then they backed out of that deal and suddenly come up with a extremely similar story ine but one in which they don't have to share any profits. Felt like they screwed over some hard working comic folks who had a very original idea.
    But in the end my lack of proof gave way to curiosity - Plus it is not the first time I have pushed down my morals for the chance of some fun:rolleyes

17. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, those evil TV guys are always * over comic book creators by not making their comics into TV shows.

18. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

I've stumbled upon it accidentally twice already, guess it's just fate! :lol
    The first episode threw me off a bit with the time jumps, at first I thought it was supposed to be congruent story lines. It's grown on me and I think i'll keep with it! Rumpelstiltskin is my favorite so far, "Please..." hehe. He drops just enough hints to the witch without exposing himself; couldn't have picked a better actor either imho.

It's also nice to see Cameron in something other than a doctors coat. :love

19. markomac

markomac Well-Known Member

The girlfriend insisted that we watch this show. I was sceptical.

Though, ive found it to be highly enjoyable. Ill keep checking it out.

20. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

I missed it this past Sunday, but didn't mind the pilot!

I know they were talking about a 'Fables' tv show for a while...I guess this was the closest they could get.

I'll have to look for this week's past episode online. I hope it picks up and doesn't go the way of V -_-. That was just so frustrating.

21. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I think it is going at a good pace, enjoyed the second episode alot. I love the characters, some are really well casted.

22. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

Not the point at all, but thanks for playing.:behave

23. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

I had set this on my DVR mainly because of the writers connection to LOST and wanting to see Robert Carlyle following Stargate Universe.

Just got around to watching it yesterday and it really pulled me in. I watched all four episodes and am enjoying it. Absolutely love Carlyle's portrayal of Rumplestiltskin.

Did a quick search online and it appears that the show is performing well in the ratings:

Once Upon a Time Is a Rare Hit With the Whole Family -- Vulture

It's been a couple of weeks without any action on this thread. Anyone else still watching?

24. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I love this show, jus worried it will get canned though. Robert Carlyle is awesome as Rumplestiltskin, my wife thinks hes creepy.
    I just hope the writers know where they are going with this show and are able to bring it to a close. I Hate shows that just run and run, I would be happy with this show running 3 maybe 4 seasons and ending well.

25. Java

Java Sr Member

I was saying that as we watched the show this week. It's going to need to "end" otherwise it'll get really old, really fast. It would be something if American "serial" shows can get made and planned as limited run shows instead of milking them dry.

Hey, one can dream. :cool

26. R.P. McMurphy

What could possibly make you think that writers with experience working on LOST wouldn't know where they were going? :lol

27. jedimarkj

Oh, I'm still hooked on this show!
    Glad to see Robert Carlyle getting more screen time!

28. cboath

cboath Master Member

How un-american of you :)

Don't you know the american way is all about the money? If you don't milk it for all it's worth I think you lose your Hollywood card.

Love the 'flashbacks' and the subtle changes - Rumplestiltskin granted Cinderella's wish and not the fairy Godmother. Although, killing her like that was a bit of surprise - in a good way. Kind of saying 'these aren't the fairytales you know'.

29. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I know, I mean why can they not come out and say, this will run three seasons or Four, we know where the story is going and how it will end. I would love that. I mean there has been a lot of shows that got canned and I wont by them on DVD because I can't bring myself to watch something that I know doesn't have an ending.

30. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

Why do they need to tell us? Why not just experience the journey?

Should they know and have the ending planned? Yes.
    Should they tell us? Nope.

I'd rather watch in anticipation knowing that it could be over any time.

31. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Ok I don't mean tell us directly, I mean behind the scenes, let ABC or whatever chanel is going to air the program know.

32. Polexia

Polexia New Member

I'm really liking this show so far. It leaves me with so many questions. I find myself thinking about it a few days later. I've definitely set my DVR to record it every week just in case I miss it.

I sure do hope they have some direction/ending.

I was surprised that Fairy Godmother got axed so quick, but I have a feeling we'll see her in other flashbacks. And she won't be the last...

Once Upon a Time Spoiler Game: Whose Big Death Won't You See Coming? - E! Online

I never got into Lost that much, but I don't live under a rock either...so I definitely expected twists and turns. I wonder who it'll be. Is it Sunday yet?! (Well no I really don't want to wish the whole weekend away, but I'm sure interested in seeing the episodes to come!)

33. R.P. McMurphy

I see there's some awards show on ABC this Sunday so now that I'm hooked, there'll be a week off!

34. cboath

cboath Master Member

What? the 14th country music show awards for the year? I think they have one every month...

35. jedimarkj

What did everyone think of the past two episodes?

I thought they were great! And that reveal at the end of this past Sunday's was pretty cool!

36. cboath

cboath Master Member

In the mine? I couldn't tell what it was at the end. The shard was obviously a piece of something important, though.

Anyone else catch the tip of the hat to lost? Henry's backpack was full of Apollo bars :)

37. Szyntax

Szyntax Well-Known Member

Wife and I were unimpressed by the pilot...watched another episode and lost interest totally. We're hooked on "Grim" though :)

38. R.P. McMurphy

I thought the Apollo candy bars was a great touch.

I, too, couldn't make out what was at the bottom of the mine. What was it?

Also, there had to be some significance to all of the people outside the mine drinking. You first saw Geppetto sipping from a flask and I thought, "Really? Strange place for alcohol to make an appearance." But as they panned around, everyone was drinking and several more had flasks. Was it ust celebrating the rescue? Maybe, but it seemed strange for eveyone to be drinking. I was wondering if it was somehow related to the young husband and wife drinking the potion that turned them to dolls.

Any other thoughts?

39. cboath

cboath Master Member

*, i didn't catch the everyone drinking bit either. You can tell the fingerprints of the Lost writers all over this :) I'm going to have to start watching much more in depth :)

40. R.P. McMurphy

I went back and watched it again. I'm not as sure now that everyone drinking meant anything and was probably just celebrating the rescue. I do though think it's odd that so many people had flasks on them and bottles of beer at the ready.

I guess the reveal was that ther was another world down there?

41. jedimarkj

Yeah, I thought they were just celebrating.

I thought the reveal at the end was the glass casket that Snow White was put in as seen in the first episode... I could be wrong though.

42. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Looks like there was another Lost nod, besides the candy bar, last night. Did anyone else catch the McCutcheon whisky bottle? On top of that Penny's father was in last night's episode and that was his whisky that he let Desmond drink ;)!

43. Java

Java Sr Member

yep! :thumbsup

44. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

I just can't get into it. If I'm catching the premise correctly. The Evil Queen seeks to punish all the denizens of fairytale land by banishing them...and herself to someplace terrible which turns out to be......suburbia?

Seems like they're trying to capitalize on Desperate Housewives (FINALLY) ending and throwing in some fantasy to draw in the geek crowd.

45. cboath

cboath Master Member

Transports them to suburbia, where they can't leave, and none of them get their happily ever afters. The queens happily ever after is watching them suffer.

46. epilepticsquirl

Except for Rumpelstiltskin, he's got some plan he's working on. I love it when they flash to his fairy tale moments, couldn't have picked a better actor imho.

[​IMG]

"My only requirement is that you must obey whatever I say if I say "please".

47. cboath

cboath Master Member

Maybe one day he'll take a role where I won't think his character is a total <bleep> ;)

I'm still waiting to see how/why the curse doesn't seem to affect him either.

Sooooo.....who they killing next week? :)

48. R.P. McMurphy

Wasn't he somehow directly involved in the application of the curse? He's involved with it somehow but I think it was said that his memory would be affected also.

I love the LOST references but the MacCutcheons was even more overt than last week's Apollo bars one. I'd prefer they were more subtle and made us work a little harder to find them, like the earlier Geronimo Jackson sticker.

49. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I've just watched the first two episodes and I have to say that I really am intrigued. I agree that the Rumpelstiltskin character is perfectly cast and superbly done! This show has some beautiful scenery and props that are potentially great replica projects also!

I do have one question: in the scene by the fire where the evil queen holds her ritual spell casting, there is a fairy-tale character old witch with eyes that are sewn shut...what fairy tale is that from?? Anyone know the reference?

50. epilepticsquirl

As the person who originally crafted the curse, I can only assume that he put in some sort of back door for himself. After all, he's very cunning with his words and just loves to bargain.

Quick google searsch shows that in the Ray Bradbury book "Something Wicked This Way Comes," there is a Dust Witch, who has eyes sewn shut and flies around in a balloon.

I didn't pay much attention to that circle of people, how creepy!