New 52 Superman

MrDC

Hey all!

Just discovered this site a week ago and I'm already hooked! I've seen an epic crap-load of Batman stuff, LOTS of Man Of Steel stuff but not too much on The New 52.

I have this habit of wanting to make costumes for Cons that look like they're right off the page. The first one I did was a Superman suit, mostly because I was getting tired of all of the screen adaptations of the suit not getting the cape connection "right" ("right" defined as: from the comics). So I set out to do it, and I did it and it looks great. I've got a bit of a beer gut (mini-keg) so it doesn't look quite right on me, but it looks right.

I've set the bar a little higher for myself this time. I've been scouring the web for anyone doing an actual armor plated New 52 Superman... so far, no takers it seems. I stress "it seems" because I doubt I could look literally EVERYWHERE on the web to make sure no-one's doing one, but yeah. ANYWAY. The only New 52 suits I've seen are either solid with no plating or lines or anything, just a plain suit with the red belt, collar, updated <S> shield and that's it. Others have added fabric ribbing to make the outlines of the panels or simply run a sewing machine along it, using lines of thread to outline the paneling.

So here I go... my main references are what you see below; an action figure (Justice Unlimited, I think... need to double check the box), the Kotobukiya ArtFX statue, and a concept sketch done with references from Jim Lee's notes...

New-52-Superman-Statue-004.jpgJL-Superman-New52.jpg3171699-0696231798-Super.jpg

The plan:

1) Suit: one layer of stretchy fabric to which I will attach craft foam pieces then sew a second, blue layer over top and stitch between the plates to form the suit.

2) Belt: craft foam carved in the right shape with red fabric wrapped around it.

3) Boots: Red stretchy fabric over a more solid elastic material covered strategically with more craft foam which is then covered in red pleather (I think... jury's still out on that) all built on water shoes

4) Cape: Basic red fabric (found some semi-sued-like material to give it a similar look to the MoS cape (LOVE that cape!!))

What's done so far:

1) -Some prototyping of the lycra and foam together
-I bought a Captain America morph suit at Value Village for like $30 to use as the under suit)

4) Bought the fabric and some lining... got enough to try 3 different capes: a double semi-sued; semi-sued outside and regular lining; single semi-sued. I'm trying so many different types is to find something that gives me a billowing flow like the MoS cape.

So yeah, keep checking and we'll see how it all goes!

Loping forward to this, I have always been a huge Superman fan and I like the new52 design, (long past time they ditched the red underoos). I wanted to do one myself but my airbrush broke down on me so I never got it finished.

Welcome to the boards/group! Thinking of a Superman suit myself (probably MoS), but really looking forward to your progress on this!

ATM
ShackMan

Just as a warning... progress on this will be slow... I'm away from home mon-fri on course and I've only got so much time with my wife on weekends between now and what we in Canada call the Victoria Day weekend in May... I'll add what I can when I can tho.

Thanks for your support and interest!

There has been quite a lot of progress actually. I'm working on a series of YouTube videos to accompany my posts here... My efforts right now are focused on building the thing... I'll take lots of pics today though and I'll do small, daily updates next week. Thanks for the interest!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back