New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

I think that anybody hardcore enough to mind the difference wouldn't have a problem repainting it. I'm currently leaning towards painting mine just for that extra level of accuracy, and because I already have the paint, but I'm not deciding til I see the real thing.

Looks nicer than the paint job on my MFX. Instead of cracks, I have a bunch of tears in a wide variety of sizes. Heavy on one side, light on the other...

This looks great!

I was bored. So, I took the image of the etching, rotated it, played with the levels and inverted it to see what dark-on-light-grey would look like. Then I got carried away, added the blue strip, moved the button etching into place, etc...
TWCSS1.png
Then I remembered the GIMP has a way-easy-to-use 'map to object' function... one cylinder later and ta-dah!
TWCSS2.png

BTW I notice the lower third of the pattern is a different size crackle to the rest. I'm guessing that's the area that got handled/repainted most?
(This is all part of me talking myself into putting aside the money for one of these)

I was bored. So, I took the image of the etching, rotated it, played with the levels and inverted it to see what dark-on-light-grey would look like. Then I got carried away, added the blue strip, moved the button etching into place, etc...
View attachment 219148
Then I remembered the GIMP has a way-easy-to-use 'map to object' function... one cylinder later and ta-dah!
View attachment 219147

BTW I notice the lower third of the pattern is a different size crackle to the rest. I'm guessing that's the area that got handled/repainted most?
(This is all part of me talking myself into putting aside the money for one of these)

The reason it has a different crackle is because the actual prop was painted, the ridges would have made the crackle look a little different compared to other areas.

I'm going to try to make an Aztek sonic out of a WC. May be a huge failure, but we'll see. I am concerned about whether I'll be able to get to those yellow wires to switch them out. Also need to figure out how to re-work it to have a stationary switch, but still allow the center to be pulled out without knocking wires loose.

But if I can overcome those two obstacles, I'll have a damn fine 9 sonic on my hands!
But will the stationary button be able to glow to indicate low power, charging, and full power?

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot the contours of the ridges would affect the patten. Blame it on it being late over here (I was tired) and my using only a simple 'map to cylinder' rather than any fancy 3D rendering :) Either way, it seems like the finished crackle effect will look really nice.

The inside of the blue bulb is looking interesting, looks like there are little ridges inside somewhat like in the original artwork. Lets hope the black end cap doesn't have rounded edges like in the firebox picture, though.

The inside of the blue bulb is looking interesting, looks like there are little ridges inside somewhat like in the original artwork. Lets hope the black end cap doesn't have rounded edges like in the firebox picture, though.

Those look like connector fittings to me. As in part A slides into part B to make it fit together.

Those look like connector fittings to me. As in part A slides into part B to make it fit together.

Yes, there are some location features on the inside of the blue lens to hold it in place on the end of the emitter head. There's a 10mm round PCB just behind the lens, with the IR LED, two blue LEDs and a couple of resistors on it - we've put some Gallifreyan patterning as the top silkscreen layer on this PCB, just to add a little bit of visual interest for anyone who looks at it really closely.

Yes, there are some location features on the inside of the blue lens to hold it in place on the end of the emitter head. There's a 10mm round PCB just behind the lens, with the IR LED, two blue LEDs and a couple of resistors on it - we've put some Gallifreyan patterning as the top silkscreen layer on this PCB, just to add a little bit of visual interest for anyone who looks at it really closely.

Sonic screwdriver with an easter egg? What other little goodies do you guys have in store? Hmmmmm......

I am really starting to hate that it is not October yet!

... we've put some Gallifreyan patterning as the top silkscreen layer on this PCB, just to add a little bit of visual interest for anyone who looks at it really closely.

Ok, this proves that a) These people really care about the quality of their work and b) They're massive nerds :D

*Wipes drool from chin*
This replica is going to be "brilliant!"

Also I don't think this has been addressed, but will the inside of the body have magnets, or any other system in place to keep the emitter gently locked into the "fully open" and "fully closed" positions? I think being able to lock it into the closed position at least would be very useful.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back