Need some advice or direction to take

ECOLI

So here is the situation,
Thought I would post on the board for some sound advice or some direction to take. So here is my project.

A beautifully cast resin Thor Ragnarok helmet.

Problem: After painting and masking my paint peels completely up and I don't mean just the metallic paint it goes all the way back to the resin. Straight through the plastic primer. I have been starting to have this issue as of late with rattle can paints and am about to give up. Can some one here chime in and give me a good alternative or better yet give me a paint selection that they use to complete a similar project. I will add that it was the wonderful Tamiya tape that peeled up. I realize it could be a multitude of issues but for the love I have been having this occur almost with regularity that I am willing to start going in the direction of buying a larger compressor and using some high dollar paint. Any help would be most appreciated...Thanks for everything you all do.

E

Strip the paint
Clean well with a good de-greaser (Dawn dish soap and warm water works)
Use a lacquer based primer (I prefer automotive)

Best to let sit a few days between coats of paint for full cure especially when masking off areas.

@ division6
Great recommendation with the Lacquer based Primer (automotive)? Is that similar to CREATEX auto colors or do you have a brand in mind? My guess is your recommendation is using some auto-grade primer that requires mixing...I really haven't had a lot of experience in using those but have heard great things. How well do they work through a hobby airbrush....If I need a tool upgrade that isn't a problem but wanted to avoid shelling out the cash. But... with all the problems I am having with rattle cans lately it might be time. Thoughts? and to your point I prob could have waited a bit more but it was taped off after 24hours with the paints listed below...

@ CustomRelic-- Good Question... didn't mean to be vague I assume it is a smoothcast 325 or similar. It was cast by a maker here. It was cleaned prior to paint.

Paints being used are a mix of duplicolor automotive rattle can over a plastic primer coat. Could be the issue but after some prior testing none of the paint reacted to one another. Ill tell you I even had a matte coat on this thing prior to taping off with the Tamiya and it just pulled it right up the clear, the metallic, the primer--all that was left was clean resin.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back