Need help with painting

Gordomann

Quite new to anything props, and that includes paint... All i'm doing is spray painting a prop shotgun black, but the last time I did the paint came off in my hand throughout the day. I just need to know how to fix this

What paint did you use? Most spray paints are enamels and can take weeks or even months to fully dry, and even then they can still be delicate. If you're in the USA try Duplicolor Universal Flat Black, it's an acrylic lacquer that dries well enough to handle in an hour but let it set overnight before putting it to use. Outside the US any other auto paint brand should have something equivalent.

i agree with robn1....and if you do are going to do a second coat wait at least 2 days before doing it! i've had many jobs spider web the paint trying to do a second coat the next day and it flat out doesn't work! it takes the full 48 hours for the paint to cure. and also don't touch the first coat with your bare hands! oils from your finger will also spider web the second coat..... so if you accidentally touch it make sure to wash off the areas you touched with a cotton ball and alcohol very lightly.

that should work good.
one thing i have noticed about rust-oleum paint is it has a funky spray texture if you get too close and heavy (although this might be more apparent on the glossy paint) ......might want to hold it back a little and do light dust coats to build it up.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back