Need help with 1920's photo paper

what exactly do you mean by the type of photo paper? Are you exposing this yourself in a dark room, or getting a photo lab to produce it?

I've done a few Photo props that I had printed by a photo lab (even though the file was digital, it was exposed onto the current basic photo paper and pushed through the chemicals). Then I treated the photo to a bath in coffee and beat it up a bit.

I don't want to age the photos...I just want an approx thickness and gloss of a 1920's era photo. If you go to any big box or copy store...all the paper is very thin and would not look (to me) period.

I can get anygiven photo scanned and most commerical scanners can take "odd thickness and gloss paper - I was thinking. Kinkos could scan my 1920's photo but I want them to do on a paper of proper thickness and gloss to simulate a period photo.

I'm thinking I need a photography forum, but I thought for sure someone here with movie and photo prop expertise had gone this route before....

Last edited:
I had some luck using regular printer photo paper then glued it to some card stock, it will give you a close thickness you want plus it covers up any makers marks on the back. I used oversized card stock so I don’t have to worry about lining it up and then cut it down. I use just regular Elmer’s glue spread on thinly with a brush.
Good luck
Lazlow :darnkids

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back