Necro Post Warning

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is there any way we could get a necro post warning that could pop up whenever someone attempts to respond to a thread that's more than a few years old?? Something along the lines of, Warning, you are about to resurrect the dead; this post is older than you are!

Just thinkin'
-Rylo

Upvote 1

cunningham

I never understood the point in some weird shaming that goes on for people posting in old posts, while at the same time people get told to use the search which might bring up old posts. I'd rather older post be reused if the subject is the same. Never understood the controversy myself.
I agree with you. The same cranky old people who would complain about necro posting are just as likely to complain about redundant posts!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks for implementing this, I also agree necroposting just for the sake of re-hashing the same conversation isn't very helpful.

There are Star Wars threads that get re-ignited when new info pops up years later and I would hate to risk my place in the community just to keep information organized. I think we had a problem of multiple threads on the same topic too, so it was encouraged that we consolidate, all the han solo first movie blaster stuff stay in that one thread. I wish we got new info more often than we do, which can look like necroposting

VonMagnum

Sr Member
Here's what I feel is quite possibly a better proposal. Have a preference setting that lets you choose whether to automatically unsubscribe from threads after they reach a certain age. Then, if someone posts in a thread YOU have lost interest in, you won't be notified to look at posts in that thread. For all intensive purposes, it's dead other than if you go looking for it. If it keeps sitting at the top of the new thread list, then it's resurrected and no longer dead and maybe you'll look into it and maybe not.

The point is people seem to get angry because they are notified about a 15 year old thread that has someone come in and say "Right On". But that's not always the case. I looked for a Staff of Ra thread when I came here and posted in that one rather than create a new one. It picked up for months and tripled the number of posts in the original thread. Obviously, Staff or Ra medallions aren't ever going to be "dead" in the sense that new collectors are going to be interested in them. And if some new variations crop up, yeah I'd like someone to add to the thread and share. Why put them in ANOTHER thread that then dies and you've got dead threads everywhere?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.