Necro Post Warning

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is there any way we could get a necro post warning that could pop up whenever someone attempts to respond to a thread that's more than a few years old?? Something along the lines of, Warning, you are about to resurrect the dead; this post is older than you are!

Just thinkin'
-Rylo

Upvote 2
I never understood the point in some weird shaming that goes on for people posting in old posts, while at the same time people get told to use the search which might bring up old posts. I'd rather older post be reused if the subject is the same. Never understood the controversy myself.
I agree with you. The same cranky old people who would complain about necro posting are just as likely to complain about redundant posts!

Thanks for implementing this, I also agree necroposting just for the sake of re-hashing the same conversation isn't very helpful.

There are Star Wars threads that get re-ignited when new info pops up years later and I would hate to risk my place in the community just to keep information organized. I think we had a problem of multiple threads on the same topic too, so it was encouraged that we consolidate, all the han solo first movie blaster stuff stay in that one thread. I wish we got new info more often than we do, which can look like necroposting

Here's what I feel is quite possibly a better proposal. Have a preference setting that lets you choose whether to automatically unsubscribe from threads after they reach a certain age. Then, if someone posts in a thread YOU have lost interest in, you won't be notified to look at posts in that thread. For all intensive purposes, it's dead other than if you go looking for it. If it keeps sitting at the top of the new thread list, then it's resurrected and no longer dead and maybe you'll look into it and maybe not.

The point is people seem to get angry because they are notified about a 15 year old thread that has someone come in and say "Right On". But that's not always the case. I looked for a Staff of Ra thread when I came here and posted in that one rather than create a new one. It picked up for months and tripled the number of posts in the original thread. Obviously, Staff or Ra medallions aren't ever going to be "dead" in the sense that new collectors are going to be interested in them. And if some new variations crop up, yeah I'd like someone to add to the thread and share. Why put them in ANOTHER thread that then dies and you've got dead threads everywhere?

I just wish the Necro threads still had all the images they once did. All those lousy photo sharing sites have decimated many great threads. I always post my images to whichever forum I'm on. That should have been a rule from the beginning, but I guess it was a bandwidth cost thing. Oh well, glad I frequently steal , err, I mean save most good photo sets I see. Finding the ones I saved on that 20 yr old hard drive, not so easy, ; )

I have a different issue.

if i post in a thread, that thread automatically dies a death.

it's a talent i've been honing over many years.

z

ten or fifteen years ago I had the last post in a half dozen threads that were more than a month old....none that I had necro’d. They just.......died.
Soon afterwards Keith Morrison interviewed me and I had to proclaim my innocence to no avail......
I thought that was just me. It happened so often that I nicknamed myself, Luke Threadkiller, ; )

I think the first thing that should be implemented is to stop featuring old links on the front page. This automatically leads to old threads being unnecessarily accessed.
Exactly!! You show images from a 10 year old thread and get irritated when someone comments. You could eliminate a lot of Necro posts by limiting the age of the images used there. Personally, I like finding old threads and would comment on them but I fear the wrath of the forum.

That feature has helped me discover lots of cool old threads that I missed.

Anyone bothered by a necro post is just looking for something to complain about.
If I reply to one shown on the front page, I post in my first line:

"I saw this posted at the top of the front page."

THis way, if anyone gives me any grief, I can reply "Well, take it up with the board! They're showing these old pics on the front page!"

I don't even understand what people's problems are with "necro threads". If you don't want to read a thread, unsubscribe from it and you'll never see it again. WTF some people want to ruin other people's enjoyment of things is beyond me, but that seems to be exactly where society is at the moment. I'm miserable so everyone else must be miserable too.

Many threads on here are just as relevant today as ten years ago. People never stopped collecting Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Blade Runner and other items in the past decade. Some people are just getting into it. One thread covering all the bases is better than 20 threads covering little bits and pieces, IMO.

I don't even understand what people's problems are with "necro threads". If you don't want to read a thread, unsubscribe from it and you'll never see it again. WTF some people want to ruin other people's enjoyment of things is beyond me, but that seems to be exactly where society is at the moment. I'm miserable so everyone else must be miserable too.

Many threads on here are just as relevant today as ten years ago. People never stopped collecting Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Blade Runner and other items in the past decade. Some people are just getting into it. One thread covering all the bases is better than 20 threads covering little bits and pieces, IMO.
Well said!
Never quite understood what's the problem with older threads. Seems to be a "crime" getting back to a thread somebody started years ago and has not been "touched" for some years. Why should it even be considered spam???

... Why should it even be considered spam???

I suppose it's all contextual whether or not somebody actually recognizes that it's an old thread from the content of their posts. If it's a new post that's like, "Can you send me your files, please?" or a posting of their Youtube video like, "Hey! Cool thread! I made this...Check it in the video!" in an old thread about a scratch-built thing, I think that's grounds for skepticism and weariness as that implies they didn't read the thread and just want immediate gratification.

I never did this in an old thread myself, and this is when I just joined the site and wasn't sure how it worked here, I just made a new one and cross-posted what I would write up in an old blog I used to have. I've thankfully gotten away from that.

So UNSUBSCRIBE. Problem Solved.

The thing is, that doesn't solve the problem. It's about effectively using the forum and it's resources for the benefit of everyone. The post in question doesn't help anyone. It just bumps a long dead thread to the front page. It may or may not even help the poster. A more effective approach would be to post in a brand new thread, in the appropriate section. In this case, the WTB section.

Again, this is not intended as a personal attack towards anyone, nor should it be construed as such. It's simply about what should proper forum etiquette be in order to maintain this place as useful for everyone. Otherwise what's the point?

The thing is, that doesn't solve the problem. It's about effectively using the forum and it's resources for the benefit of everyone. The post in question doesn't help anyone. It just bumps a long dead thread to the front page. It may or may not even help the poster. A more effective approach would be to post in a brand new thread, in the appropriate section. In this case, the WTB section.

Again, this is not intended as a personal attack towards anyone, nor should it be construed as such. It's simply about what should proper forum etiquette be in order to maintain this place as useful for everyone. Otherwise what's the point?

An example of a forum that does let threads expire as you seem to be suggesting is the official Apple support forums and what I see there often is a totally relevant issue with a Mac or iPhone that I'm looking for to solve my problem and I find one, but I cannot ask a question because 2 weeks after the "solution" is posted (which may not quite solve my issue, but the people there probably know the answer) they close the thread to new posts and say create another one.

The problem is the people that know all about it are in that thread and might get informed of a question there if it were active and they might be able to solve my little quirk easily, but since it's closed and they aren't looking for the problem anymore, the odds of them showing up in the "new" thread and answering are almost non-existent. Instead, you'll get a bunch of people with the same problem that also don't know what to do and then you eventually end up with a half dozen threads on the same stupid bug, none of which address the little quirk you want to ask about. This happens a lot there and it's frustrating as all heck. People aren't looking at the front page. They're searching for what they're looking for and finding 10 useless threads (because they cannot respond to any of them) on the same topic. What a mess.

So my question here to your idea is what exactly is the difference from your perspective between a pointless revival of a necro thread and a new thread that has a similar heading that you'll also find useless or annoying? It seems to me that It's the same thing. You'll see something that you'll ultimately ignore anyway and it wasted your time because it doesn't interest you. Meanwhile, legit "necro" posts where something is still relevant have these banshee death "warnings" on them that are absolutely ridiculous sounding the way it's written (but at least it addresses the problem without creating a new one) and 20 threads about the same flipping topic because you want them to "expire" like other forums, all because certain people can't be bothered to either hit unsubscribe and ignore old threads that occasionally get (once in 5 years here in that example) a new post?

Worse yet, here you have specific creators of props and what not and people want to ask about that specific one, not just any one, but if the thread is closed, I guess it's either PM time, which might just be more annoying for the original person than a question in a thread they're able to unsubscribe from and can then ignore if they so choose (PMs can't be ignored; maybe specific people, but new people can do the same thing) or again, we get a bunch of new threads on the same topic.

I don't go looking for new threads all the time on here. My interests are limited to certain movies or collecting items. I'd prefer if people interested in things from the Maltese Falcon, for example all posted in the same thread on Maltese Falcon props so I'm notified of new posts/questions/activity regarding that movie and its props. Instead, even with the Necro warning, I'll find a half dozen or more threads on the Maltese Falcon dating back 20 years show up in the search. Some might have relevant information to a newbie, but having to track down 20 threads that then doesn't inform someone like me that was following the one I was participating in about posts, I end up missing something that might be interesting to me if I don't constantly check for new posts and/or searches on the topic just in case someone creates a new Maltese Falcon thread. And if it expires, I would HAVE to do just that since a lack of activity in an old one (as people are doing other things) would make it expire. That sounds like a much bigger hassle to me than ignoring a new post on something I'm not currently interested in.

You seem to mistake my position on this matter to be about annoyance or some other personal feeling towards how the forum\board is utilized. That's not the case at all. For my part, this is about finding the best solution to ensure this site remains useful and relevant for everyone, personal feelings (anyone's) aside.

Furthermore, I think current measures to curb necroposting, along with use of the report button, work pretty effectively, or at least as effective as is possible short of putting new members through some sort of tutorial.

My most recent post here was just to illustrate an example of what is a classic bad necropost. As it seemed like the intent here was getting misconstrued and mischaracterized. That post wasn't on topic with the old thread, the poster isn't likely to get a response, and there's a specific part of the board dedicated to such things.

How you or I or any other individual use this site is ultimately inconsequential. Everyone is going to have their own method that they feel works best for them. However making sure the proper tools are there, so everyone can have the best experience possible is what matters.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back