NECA Releasing Prop Portal Gun

Any ideas as to how/why this happens? I'm curious, they got as far as preorders, isn't that kind of late in the game?

Is it possible that the preorder numbers weren't looking so good? I can't imagine that being the case since it sold out so fast on BBTS.

I would imagine is probably a production issue. Either the electronics wouldn't be ready in time, or the factory wasn't able to conform to the release date. Maybe Valve had a problem with the artist proof and it had to go back to the drawing board.

I'm just hoping it's something that's just delaying it, not cancelling it altogether.

From their Facebook page:

NECA - N.E.C.A "The item is coming as planned, retailers were soliciting to early for quantities they may not ever even have as it will be allotted."

Now that the official word is sort of out... Was Entertainment Earth the only site hit with the removal/cancellation of preorders?

Anyone else taking their chances preordering elsewhere?

What seems strange about their official announcement is that it doesn't really explain why NECA completely pulled the item from their own web site. It was there on Thursday and now you can't find any trace of it.

Right! It seems like they're blaming the retailers, but there's definitely no sign of the gun on their official site at all.

Plot thickens?

I'm still curious about the status from other retailers people preordered from... Anyone?

I've had my trigger finger on that page since you mentioned it earlier, but it may be a lost cause. Especially since the NECA site pulled any info on the gun completely.

Something tells me preordering elsewhere will give the same results, a cancellation.

A pretty decent explanation of what is going on...From Kotaku:

Unauthorized Presales Land NECA's Awesome Portal Gun Replica on Indefinite Hold

Here is a snippet from the article on kotaku, its the message from Neca in case you don't want to jump to that site:

"We have received numerous reports of the Portal Device being presold, and in some cases, even wholesaled, even though allotments have not been announced or confirmed. Due to these circumstances, this item is delayed indefinitely.

Please note that all orders for the Portal Device are being canceled and we are not taking orders at this time.

We will announce in the future when/if the item becomes available

Please consider your order canceled at this time if you have previously placed an order.

What does this mean? There is no release date and this item may never come to market ever. We have no further information than this.

If you wish to cancel, there is not preorder deposit penalty for cancelling, just reply to this email that you wish to cancel.
Thank you for your order and we will keep you informed of any new information on this replica as we receive it."

I personally don't like the design at all, it's too elongated :confused
I also really dislike the fact that the white shells are a thin piece of plastic bolted together to the body which is probably another piece of plastic :angry

It probably takes them $20-30 to make the gun and sell it at a starting price of $130 and then boost it to $300..

This all equals to no weight into the gun..
And an off-game representation of the gun..

I am extremely content with my ThrowingChicken gun! That one was/is awesome!
If anything, I would stand for you guys and gals to save up a couple more bucks and get the T.C gun.
His work was great and actually had weight to it :thumbsup

Additionally! You'd be supporting an artist :) rather than making a company richer..

That's just what I think about the gun.
Hope I'm not being to rough :lol

Maybe I'm too much of a n00b to know but....where can I find TC? Even though I like their design and am actually surprised it looks that good I'd muuuuccchhhh rather support an artist than NECA.

That would be forum member ThrowingChicken. He sells Portal gun kits in the Junkyard, but you could pm him for info about them if you can't access the yard yet.

NECA just posted this link on their Facebook page with this message: "Worry not, Portal fans.... "

http://thequarterbin.com/2012/03/12/necas-portal-gun-still-coming/

Basically there's more of the same quotage that's been posted here already, but this quote is new:
“Too many retailers were soliciting preorders without having all the facts & we’re allotting who gets what. So many were taking orders & deposits for items they might never even get.

ASHPD is coming for May/June as planned & will be offered soon in an organized & fair manner so all have a fair chance at this great item.”

Not sure what "ASHPD" stands for...

Last edited:
Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device

I feel ashamed for not getting that... Glad it's still going to be made.

I wonder if it all chocks up to, "Oh snap, a lot of people want this... We should cancel the item, plan for more units and charge more!"

Ok, maybe it's not that evil... maybe it's something more like: "Oh snap, a lot of people want this, we should cancel the item, plan for cheaper production run with more units and then sell at the same price!"

Personally I hope these never come out. Having built my own I really like the reaction I get from people when I carry it around a con as it is still a rare prop, and surprizingly it is not that hard to make a decent one compared to alot of other props we make here.

I'm definitely not against the hard working artists scratch building their own and providing quality kits to the "building impaired" such as I, but I'm with the other guy here who earlier said would want a mass produced "sturdier" version one wouldn't mind banging up at a con, or letting people play with when on display at home...

If I had a kit built version that I somehow managed to assemble myself I wouldn't want anyone touching it, let alone myself once it's completed.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back