NECA Releasing Prop Portal Gun

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Crank729, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

I wanted to make one of these eventually..... Now..... not so much.

NECA's Portal Gun Prop Replica

It's being made by a toy company though, So I wouldn't doubt it if the quality sucks.

2. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That actually doesn't look half bad. If the price is right, I'll pick one up. Definitely like their Bioshock stuff.

3. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Yeah, if it is quality and the price is right, I might pick it up for a friend.

4. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Awesome. I'm sure it wont hold a candle to the builds on here, but if it's reasonable priced, I'll have to pick one up simply because I won't have to build it.

The best part is the description of the gun after you click the Hobby Search link in the Toyark page :lol

5. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't even play the game (video games make my nauseous) and I'd buy one!

6. breen2057

breen2057 Sr Member

the forbidden planet website is selling this for 89.99 pounds in the uk, with a release date of 14th may 2012. it does look nice in the pics.

7. ThrowingChicken

ThrowingChicken Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* good for the price, but I guess I will never understand some of the design changes these people make. I guess it's about cutting down manufacturing costs, and most people won't notice I suppose.

8. Borzou

Borzou Active Member

For some reason, it looks a bit too elongated to me.

9. JazzK

JazzK New Member

According to Forbidden Planets facebook page, it has been withdrawn by the supplier.

10. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Eh, in my experience, NECA's pics make the product exponentially better looking than the actual item.

11. TMBountyHunter

TMBountyHunter Active Member

kotaku linked to a japanese site that listed it as 16,000 yen (~$206USD)

I'm loving the front half, but the back seems rather weird. Especially the back end of the clear tubes. I wish they'd release pics of the hand hold and bottom of it.

12. ThrowingChicken

I'm curious how big it actually is. "Full size" might be debatable.

13. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

14. TMBountyHunter

I think I know what's wrong with that clear back of light tube, it's probably missing the final paint (or just test molding in clear instead of final black plastic?). Digging up the reference pics from trailers it seems to be dead-on to the high-res trailer model.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. EAGON

EAGON Member

I thought the same thing.....I have studied the portal gun so much I can pick out all the changes when looking at different ones

16. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's not too bad. Definitely not completely accurate but for the price, it's not bad. I'll wait on some reviews first though.

17. kdring

kdring New Member

Honestly kind of irritated after just recently purchasing TC's gun kit and Crix's lights. I don't want to see everyone and their mom running around with one :( I can't be sure of the quality though, it does look a little long.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  18. ThrowingChicken

Well as TMBountyHunter pointed out, they used the hi-res model from the commercials as their point of reference. I can assume "hi-res" is the appeal of that model, but it's not the one in the game. Proportions and curves are needlessly changed. I personally would rather a replica be based off of what was in the actual game, not off of promo material.

Still looks nice, I might pick one up, but I think the fans have done better.

19. TheAtomicSoul

TheAtomicSoul Active Member

For that price it'd me a good Christmas present for my nephew (I usually get him something rare that nobody else gets.)

20. TMBountyHunter

nice and big pic from kotaku shows a bit of the bottom, shell insides (two halves screw together? will there be evil scre holes? D: ) and handle

[​IMG]

yep, just like the trailer model

I never really paid attention to the back end of the light tube on this version but it's now perfectly clear how much it contradicts the original world model.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fat handle of the new instead of skinny old
    [​IMG]

I might end up getting it if I suddenly run out of things to do and money to spend.

I hope someone does a thorough review full of nice high-res pics when it's out.

21. BlackMarketMagi

BlackMarketMagi Well-Known Member

I read it is suppose to be in the $130 price range.

22. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

For that price I'll definitely pick one up. It actually looks REALLY good. The missing paint on the back end of the barrel looks like an easy fix to do ourselves.

23. TMBountyHunter

24. benhs1898

Very nice!

25. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

I like :thumbsup

26. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

27. ThrowingChicken

Does that site have a good rep?

28. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

I've ordered a diecast batmobile from them yrs ago with no problem. I think you should be ok.

29. ThrowingChicken

Cool, I might have to pick one up.

30. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

Any idea how long these might last? I know it said limited to 5,000 pieces.
    I really want a portal gun but won't have any money for about a month.

Also do you think anyone will sell them in the U.K?

31. jazzygeoffery

jazzygeoffery Well-Known Member

32. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

33. comicguy

comicguy Sr Member

34. benhs1898

$300 is way too much. I was thinking about getting this but not for that much from a toy company.

35. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

For $300, I could pay a guy to go to Volpin's house and...

36. Kestre

Kestre Member

I pre-ordered off EE for $130. That's the quoted price from the NECA representative at Toy Fair. I already have TC's gun and Crix's light kit. It's all complete except for those darned metal cages. But I figure the NECA gun is very light and easier to take to cons. Also, I'd feel a lot better modding the NECA gun than touching my beautiful TC gun.

37. benhs1898

Oh, $130 isn't bad.

38. Fennec

Fennec Active Member

I personally don't like the design at all, it's too elongated :confused
    I also really dislike the fact that the white shells are a thin piece of plastic bolted together to the body which is probably another piece of plastic :angry

It probably takes them $20-30 to make the gun and sell it at a starting price of $130 and then boost it to $300..

This all equals to no weight into the gun..
    And an off-game representation of the gun..

I am extremely content with my ThrowingChicken gun! That one was/is awesome!
    If anything, I would stand for you guys and gals to save up a couple more bucks and get the T.C gun.
    His work was great and actually had weight to it :thumbsup

Additionally! You'd be supporting an artist :) rather than making a company richer..

That's just what I think about the gun.
    Hope I'm not being to rough :lol

39. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

Not saying this because I bought a TC Portal Gun, but the Neca one feels plastic, halves screwed together and such. It screams " toy " and not " replica ". :/

40. benhs1898

Is the real thing not supposed to be plastic? Plastic seems to fit the "sterile" aesthetic of the game.

41. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

So, now here's the question everyone will have to ask after this one is released: Is it cheaper to build one from scratch (like Volpin did), or will it be better to save time and money by buying the NECA version?

42. Kestre

Kestre Member

It will be cheaper to buy a NECA version unless you do a primarily floral foam encased gun with no electronics and you have some materials on hand. It will take you waaay less time :)

That's my opinion. YMMV

Again, I think modding the NECA gun is a great use for it. Firefly-Portal crossbreed? My Little Pony gun? Do a porcelain crackle coat all over it? Sounds awesome!

43. ThrowingChicken

Yeah, I could have bought an army of NECA guns for the cost I put into making the original parts for my Portal gun. But really it all depends on what materials you use and what you can do yourself. The laser cut parts alone cost me more than the NECA version, but you could just cut all those things by hand. I had to hire a machinist to mill the barrel and other parts, which he gave me a deal on and let me pay it off in trade equivalent to a few NECA's, but maybe you have your own lathe or could use cheaper techniques to accomplish similar results.

But factor in your time as well. If you are not a stickler for accuracy and don't mind the reported construction quality, it's probably more cost effective to go for the NECA. But that is assuming the price point stays at $130.

44. mistersh0w

mistersh0w New Member

I just got an email from Entertainment Earth that states:

Anyone else get this?

45. benhs1898

Soo..... NECA is recalling them?

46. mistersh0w

mistersh0w New Member

I can't find any news about this at all, anywhere... Apparently EE removed the item from their site on Friday (3/9). Not a peep on any forums. Anyone who ordered from BBTS get any emails?

47. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

:lol:lol:lol

48. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

My girlfriend just got the same email. Crap!

49. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

I think MiM is selling at $129.00

50. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep, got my turret flashlight today and also got this email. They charged me shipping for ALL items.. and now have said they're not getting *additional* shipments of the gun... even though the bloody website said they weren't getting this in till MAY.

I sent an email asking what the heck is going on and if they're going to refund me part of the stupidly high amount of money they charged me for shipping.

I'm not holding my breath for a response.