My Vader TM helmet, ESB paint job

joevader

My next helmet project is painting this beautiful TM raw cast.
A few months ago, I told some friends in the community I was looking for one and the opportunity eventually presented. I really could not have done it without their help. (y)

kuJVf20l.jpg

The chin vent was originally ANH sized, this one already has been trimmed to ESB proportions.
I plan to work on this project in the next few weeks, hope everything goes well !

Last edited:
I decided to set the dome position, before I spray the Glossy Black on it.

AFsI3tpl.jpg

By the way, I was wondering about the neck extension on the TM. I didn't remove it on this mask, just faded it a little with epoxy.
Anyone know what was its original purpose?

Last edited:
By the way, I was wondering about the neck extension on the TM. I didn't remove it on this mask, just faded it a little with epoxy.
Anyone know what was its original purpose?
Most likely a molding feature to ensure a perfect neck on the finished castings. Probably also to keep the neck steady as it had cracked in a few places on the original ANH when it was molded. They may have forgotten to add a skirt all around the rear opening for the same reason, which is why many UK lineage helmets are trimmed short in the back. This last bit is just speculation on my part, but explains why they don't all go all the way back to where the ANH original went.

These kinds of "extra material skirts" around the perimeter edges are seen in many production masters

Most likely a molding feature to ensure a perfect neck on the finished castings. Probably also to keep the neck steady as it had cracked in a few places on the original ANH when it was molded. They may have forgotten to add a skirt all around the rear opening for the same reason, which is why many UK lineage helmets are trimmed short in the back. This last bit is just speculation on my part, but explains why they don't all go all the way back to where the ANH original went.

These kinds of "extra material skirts" around the perimeter edges are seen in many production masters
Makes total sense ! I retained that feature on my TM, mostly because of the stability and strength it adds to the neck. And because the TM master itself also had it from the beginning.
I've tried to spot on the film if the screen-used hero helmet retained the neck extension. Any thoughts on that?

There were multiple helmets used in Empire that could qualify for "hero" so it can be difficult to nail it down but there is at least one behind the scenes photo of a screen helmet that shows the neck extension:

1383935_10203746419607422_2555238202528127772_n.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back