My Russrep/Roman Props Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber

Truly sorry, I'll edit my post.

It would be better to leave the post intact as a warning and to preserve the chain of conversation. 5postboy who currently calles himself Simplyprops, was banned from the RPF due to sales related issues and again for sockpuppeting.
Buyer beware!

Last edited:
Can you describe how you weathered your grenade? I see you blued it and you mentioned soaking it in salt water. Can you elaborate on the process and order? I think your grenade is perfect, exactly how I would like to see mine! Thanks!

First, I deburred the grenade in my case tumbler for several hours (as described above) Then I blued it by soaking it in Black Magic RT-S25 for a few minutes. When I was satisfied with the color, I washed it thoroughly (to remove the black residue from the RT-S25) After that, I boiled some water and added salt until it was saturated, then I soaked the grenade in it, removed it, and let it air dry. I repeated the process several times, until rust started to appear (at this point the salt water was a nice orange color :p) Finally, I rolled the grenade on a rough concrete slab, using by foot to REALLY damage it. Aside from a final rub-down with a clean rag to remove the concrete dust, that's pretty much it!

Hope that helps. And thanks for the compliments, by the way. :)

Very nice man! I'm in the process of weathering all mine now, and then making one or two light up. ^_^

You've got more guts than me... I'm scared of rust... just weathered blue is about all I can muster in my stomach.

I was kinda hesitating too, thinking that it might go overboard and damage the parts, but rust looks so cool. And it's a must on an Obi ANH, IMHO. Rust away! :p

I really share your idea about wheathering.
I created some really rusty obis,for me and frends,visible by clicking on my signature.
I only can agree with your idea!

I think the original grenade form movie was probably a deadstock piece,which had only air patina,so you rust is not toob bad for such a result,however the brass part will need more weathering.

On original grenades,only the front near emitter was "new" because of a removable sealing part,other parts were in contact with air,giving dark weathered color.
It's easy to see when you have a complete grenade inthe hand.
First,they remove a little pin.
Then,they screw off partially the windvane to let it turn free(the little round shape on the neck is for maintaining the security ring).
Then,the grenade is shot,and we know the results....

When unused and air-stored(I mean,not dug item)the brass ring protects the brass under it,so its's the reason why the brass has "gold" color there,they just removed the cylinder.

If you want a better look on brass parts you would also weather the windvane inside.

Please use some ammonia,air process,suspend the piece over ammonia,and protect the front before,to leave it new.

If you want to create some weathering on aluminum,you can do it,just out in the garden,it makes rust,a little bit like steel.

Thanks for the tips. The funny thing is since I used chemicals (I used Brass Darkening Solution for the wind vane) the weathering continues as we speak, unlike with paint. Also the pics don't show the subtle weathering very well, because the exposed brass that wasn't darkened has been darkened a bit too. But maybe the inside of the wind vane is too light. That was a deliberate choice however, because I like the contrast. But maybe I'll dip it in my Darkening solution after all. ;)

Good tips. ParfaiteLumiere, how were you able to achieve the green tone on the brass wind vane? Was this possible with ammonia? Both of your sabers look fantastic.

exact,you're abqolutely right,that's why I have "fake" weathering.
My first obiwan is rusting for about 2 years now,and the patina gets better every day....

Yeah, high heat will darken steel. I put it on broil, maybe an hour total? (I did it in chunks of 20 minutes, don't exactly remember how often)

So how did you get the weathering on your clamp?
Well, like I explained earlier, I threw the pristine clamp in an ammo case tumbler, which damaged and dulled the nickel plating. Then I rolled it around on a concrete slab to damage it further. Then I dipped it in a blueing chemical to darken the exposed copper. That's it!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back