My Red Hood Build ;) Getting close to done!!

Re: My Red Hood Build ;) More Pictures Added.

As of right now ;).

This is where this project is currently sitting. I tried a coat of the red paint the other day... not exactly what i was looking for. Over the gray primer it made the color too light, and managed to show the rest of my missing flaws ;). So here is where we are tonight. im about to do some work on correcting about a dozen small flaws and i also need to add a batch of bondo to correct the chin problem im having on the right side. So after tonight i should be ready for paint again, but this time im going to put a coat or two of black as a base to make the red darker in theory. wish me well... ill update in the morning after final sanding and before paint.
7262-img-2451.jpg

7263-img-2453.jpg

7264-img-2455.jpg

Looks like the sanding and shaping went well though. The seal line looks nice and straight.

This is actually after ive started a "V" cut along the separation line to add an accent and darken the line a bit. It really came together well... it taught me a lot so far ;)

I have a plan coming together for this (or this general shape anyway) after I found a particularly interesting mask on Amazon to modify, and right now my only goal is to make you jealous with my laziness. You're the gold standard for me on this right now, haha.

This is looking awesome. I had a quick question for my build though. When you resined the helmet did you tape the two parts to together then resin or did you apply resin to each part separately? I would prefer to keep the helmet a single piece.

I have a plan coming together for this (or this general shape anyway) after I found a particularly interesting mask on Amazon to modify, and right now my only goal is to make you jealous with my laziness. You're the gold standard for me on this right now, haha.

Wicked - your words honor me, but i want to see what it is that you've got going on over there. What is this project your working on? I'm just happy to have something to offer up for everyone's amusement. Almost everything im doing here i've learned here at The RPF. Thanks to all of you out there who don't mind answering questions, or helping when someone is in need. Its thanks to the people here at this forum that i know now how to do some of these things. There is a greater plan, and this is but a stepping stone for me to learn from ;).

This is looking awesome. I had a quick question for my build though. When you resined the helmet did you tape the two parts to together then resin or did you apply resin to each part separately? I would prefer to keep the helmet a single piece.

I actually connected the two halves when I added the resin. I was afraid that without the support it wouldn't hold its shape as well. Then I cut it apart after the outside was coated with resin and the inside was fiber-glassed. This helped me retain my basic proportions. If you try it the other way please let me know how it works. Good Luck ;)

I actually connected the two halves when I added the resin. I was afraid that without the support it wouldn't hold its shape as well. Then I cut it apart after the outside was coated with resin and the inside was fiber-glassed. This helped me retain my basic proportions. If you try it the other way please let me know how it works. Good Luck ;)
Thank you. Yea holding shape is also why I want to resin them joined together. What did you use to join them? Masking tape?

where im at now: So after the red and more sanding, i decided to try to use a black base coat and then adding the red over it for a deeper red color. After i fixed the chin issue, i sprayed it black and it turned into this -
7280-img-2477.jpg

7281-img-2480.jpg

7282-img-2482.jpg

now thanks to the wonderful black ... i notice a few more corrections i should have made, and im kicking myself for not priming the chin area after the correction... it didnt come out right in that area. So... what im about to do is remove all the black from the exterior and remove the last of the issues... re-prime it... then paint the black in auto black (the Krylon i was trying to use looks great, but it stayed almost rubbery... i want something wet-sandable). so thats where im at now... and going out to sand ;). Thanks for all the kind words and support ;)

Nice, I almost like it in black better than red. My plan for the other mask didn't work out. I thought it was going to be a full-head mask (is this technically considered a helmet?) similar to this, but alas the back is open. The size is pretty wonky too, it's supposed to be a kid's mask, but it's huge even on me. Oh well, back to foam and resin it seems. Now if I only had that $10 back to buy BlackKaos' pep file, haha.

This is the one I was going to use, already has a voice changer and LED's for the eyes so I think I'll just steal the guts out of it.
Terminator Salvation T-600 Voice N Vision Skull: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Ah, i see how that could have been a great way to start a project ;). I liked the black also, but the story gets worse after the last update. Ok, so i tried to sand off the black, but this stuff was so rubbery that the sander just basically moved the paint around without removing it. im not sure what that stuff is made out of, but i can promise i wont use that again on a project ;). so then i decided i would try to primer over it and see if i could sand it out after that... bad idea right? So the primer reacts with the black Kyrlon paint and actually starts bubbling up the black... so... i decided to use the primer as a paint remover ;). worked like a charm, just a bit of cleaning up to do. After that i actually got the right primer (really dark grey), on in two coats and sanded. Then i applied my first coat of the red paint, and i started my fine sanding. Ive never wet sanded anything, but im planning to wet sand it and add another coat of paint after i get back from work later. So the moral of this story is... Always use automotive paint ;).

Dude, the helmet looks really, I know we can't see any problem from the pics. the paint finish and your sanding look exceptional. I'm just adding my finished pics from thurs, I have a few corrections/problem solving to do also.

That Krylon Fusion paint is a no prime paint for plastics that bonds to the plastic, either that or if you got the kind in the blue shiny can it's water based and total garbage for anything besides cardboard and such. I used it on a primed picture frame and it bubbled like crazy and stayed very wet for hours. I even brought it inside of my heated apartment to dry with a fire going in the next room.

Hello where I can download the network file to assemble the papercraft hood thank you very much.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back