My Red Hood Build ;) Getting close to done!!

Allfate

This is my first real project here and i was hoping to share it with the rest of you. The interesting part about this is that this is also the first time for me to fiberglass anything so i was very happy that i didin't screw it up too bad ;). First off i started with my first also completed Pepakura project... i find my patients really short for this, but it worked wonderfully. The file i used is from a member here nicked BlackKaos, and i would first like to thank him for great pep design work! Here are a few pics of the completed pep work before any more work was done.

6795-img-2294.jpg

6797-img-2297.jpg

6796-img-2295.jpg

After that i started the resin process.

Last edited:
Re: My Red Hood Build ;)

ya... setup a flicker account just to get them in here, but not doing something right ;). thanks for the heads up, wasn't sure if it took a bit to show up or what.

Re: My Red Hood Build ;) Now With Pictures!

After two coats of resin and my first ever attempt to work with fiberglass for support on the inside it started to look like this:
6804-img-2300.jpg

6803-img-2299.jpg

Looks good!. Descent fiber glassing. I also have trouble with fiberglass. I always make more of a mess then planned.

Why thank you sir, but it's actually gone much farther between those last pics and when I left this afternoon (on a work trip). I separated the parts and started the bondo/sanding phase. I'll get more pictures added when I get back tomorrow night. Did I mention great Pep work?? Thanks again BlackKaos.

I'm dying to get a shot at this. Sent a pm to the guy who made the file. I'm not making a Red Hood helmet though, but I want to use this as my base something terrible.

Are you allowed to share the pep file? I can't seem to find it.

I wish I could, but this is how the designer makes his money. I can tell you that he has this one, and several other designs that are currently available. The cost is actually much less than I expected. If his prices have not changed it's only $10.00 for the full head helmet pep's. Just PM BlackKaos and he can give you all the info. I personally found this file to be setup very well for impatient people like me ;), and scaled perfectly.

and then i separated the helmet like the design intended ;).

6842-img-2312.jpg

6843-img-2311.jpg

From this point i started a lot of sanding and shaping... ill get more pics up a bit later.

Re: My Red Hood Build ;) More Pictures Added.

Looks great! I'm glad that it is turning out really good for you. Just to you let know that I design the eye section the way that I did, so if you wanted you could keep the eyes and paint them black and still have the eye shape as the movie, or cut them out completely or put a black mesh or black lenses in it's place. Because in the Batman:Under the Red Hood movie. The eye section in the mask is missing but when Robin puts on the mask it's black and only shows the distinct shape of his white eyes. Can't wait to see the finished build......By the way like the Guiness and the guitar amp in the back ground :)

Just to you let know that I design the eye section the way that I did, so if you wanted you could keep the eyes and paint them black and still have the eye shape as the movie, or cut them out completely or put a black mesh or black lenses in it's place. Because in the Batman:Under the Red Hood movie. The eye section in the mask is missing but when Robin puts on the mask it's black and only shows the distinct shape of his white eyes.

I noticed that in the movie too... i was thinking about keeping the eye area in the beginning, but i'm starting to think more about removing it and later replacing it later. The look of the helm with the eye sockets in place just make it look more intimidating to me ;). I did also had to taper the back of face panel to where it meets the bottom half b/c when it was all even it didn't slide into place well. Im also trying to figure out how im going to use the opening motion to lock the helmet to the head. I also noticed in the movie that despite the fact that they show it split before it is removed... then never take it apart. When he takes it off its still in one piece???

So i surmise that maybe a hinge at the chin line and somehow use the opening motion to release the helm from the skull? How does that sound to everyone out there? If anyone has any more info how this helmet opens please let me know... the original tests of removing the top part of the helm just leave the bottom (chin part) to fall around your neck... and that wouldn't look too cool standing before Batman.... now would it?? ;)

Oh yes I will be hinging that mask. I hadn't realized it was made to separate at the decorative line. I was planning to put a hinge on top so that it closed horizontally around my head. This will be much better.

Allfate- I've thought about how to make it come off also and the only thing that I can think of is padding around the ears or an elastic strap from ear to ear that would rest on top your head?

I also think in the movie that the face part of the mask never really comes of (even though it doesn't show how it comes off) I think that when he releases the top half and the smoke comes out it's indicating that the helmet is pressurized like the (predators mask). And he has to "pop the top" to release the pressure to get the helmet off and the top of the helmet is hinged so it doesn't completely come off put separates partly so when he does take it off he can close it again.That's the only thing I can think of.

For the eyes. I've thought about when I make my helmet because I'm going to make one for my self when I get more ink (sucks). I'm going to remove the eye section and either put in a black screen with a white ghost eyes or just a plane black lenses in the eyes. If that helps. I think that it will look a lot better but I left the eyes in case someone doesn't have the means to replace them.

Wicked - I designed it to separate around the design because that is how it comes off in the movie and when the pep file is finished it makes a clean look and not a lot of confusing lines.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back