My Real Hovering Hoverboard Display

Dondula7

Hey guys, new to the forum,
I just wanted to share with you my Hoverboard display that actually uses magnets to achieve levitation. My inspiration came from an instillation piece I saw a couple years ago by an artist named Nils Guadagnin who was able to achieve the same effect. I used an electromagnetic kit that has a lazer stabilization technology in it to get the magnets in place. Each magnet can hold about 2-3 pounds of weight while still maintaining levitation. The board can handle around a 5 pound object to be placed on top of it while floating. The board is a foam version, which works the best with the magnets. Had to mod the magnet enclosures in order for the stabilizing sensors to be exposed to the bases. This is a work in progress and I plan on making a nice platform to hide all the electronics in. So in the end the board will be floating in place on a pedestal. Alternately, one magnet can be used, which would allow the board to spin displaying all sides of it. The board will continue to spin until another force is acted upon it. I will post pictures below and a link to a small video I made. I think this is the perfect way to display this particular prop. Thanks for looking :)

My real hovering Hoverboard display - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is cool !!

As for covering the bases, just put a themed sheet of paper over the magnets. They will still work fine.

You may also wish to build a sort of low-profiled box, the size of the board or better bigger, with 'slots' where the magnets would fit in, so that when you cover them with the sheet, all will be level :thumbsup

Go one step further and print out a sheet of rippling 'water'.

Better than the 'original' :lol

Great idea!!!!

that would be a perfect way to display it, are these readily available and is it expensive?

GFollano

very very cool display! I agree, add some fancy paper on the bottom and it will look swell.

can i ask, where do you get those types of magnets, are they from a kit or are they sold together for something else? haven't seen something like that anywhere.

That is a genius idea!

I can think of no better way to display a hoverboard.

Nearly an graphics shop with a large format printer can get you a custom sheet of paper with a design on it. You could do pavement, water, grass or even a screen cap from the film or a poster.

You might also consider reflective mylar for a mirror effect to see the bottom of the board.

Keep up the good work.
I really want to see what you come up with!

thanks guys, good idea about the box, I was thinking something like that maybe on top of a tall pedestal so people could see the hovering from a good point of view. The magnet kit is from a company in the Netherlands. I bought them a year and a half ago while they were still testing the technology, after all said and done I paid around $1500 - $1800 USD for this particular setup. They don't ship to the states for liability reasons so I had to use some other methods for getting my hands on these. I also had to modify one of the bases in order to use both sets on one non moving piece, and worked with the company trying to get my desired results. It will still randomly lose hover so i'm trying to figure out why. Seems to work better with one centralized magnet, which will also let the board spin as you can see in the video. Hopefully I work out the bugs and get everything perfect.

Looks fantastic! I like the single magnet look the best and the way it rotates as well. When I saw your video I started having ideas about displaying the Fifth Element flying cars with these. But that was before I read how much they were. They are perfect for that Hoverboard though. Great job.

I was also playing with this idea, about a year ago. But the magnet prices drove me away, I searched and searched and couldn't find an alternative.
Looks very cool, nice job.
mike

That's great !

The expense of the magnets is countered by the awsome coolness of the finished piece - many here have paid more for prop replicas, so I don't think it is an unresonable expense -

I might get one of these to remake as a floating Deathstar for my office -

US$ 111.99 - Electro Magnetic Levitation and Rotation Globe(TRA194), Free Shipping On All Gadgets!

It's funny you bring up the globe, there was a researcher in France I believe who I got in touch with that developed a more pro model of that same concept, that could levitate a 6 pound object 3-4in above the platform. These were about $300 a piece, but became uncalibrated during shipping and were way too sensitive. Locking the magnet in to position was also very difficult and required a lot of practice. If orbit was disrupted, the magnet would fall to the base with such force that it shattered through the thick metal. These bases were also not low profile and had a much more industrial look. I was originally thinking about going with what you posted because the price was so inexpenive, but in the end i needed something that could handle the weight and the height I wanted it to float. You can look through the labs videos on their youtube channel here to see what they came up with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTerS_OcXf4&feature=channel

I had purchased my units when the company was still developing them, and this set was made custom for me. They don't mass produce these, i'm guessing thats why it was so expensive. Also the technology behind it for the size is incredible. The company is still trying to figure out other applications for these devices, right now they are mainly used for creative display purposes.

Anyway thank you guys for all the lovely comments and ideas!

Last edited:
Great job, Dondula :thumbsup. After seeing those first pictures, I was considering revisting my Training Remote display. Right now, it only sorta, kinda hovers. I have magnets in a top mounted unit, and the TR is tethered to the bottom.

But then I saw the price (not to mention the lack of availability) and decided my display is just fine :lol.

That's great !

The expense of the magnets is countered by the awsome coolness of the finished piece - many here have paid more for prop replicas, so I don't think it is an unresonable expense -

I might get one of these to remake as a floating Deathstar for my office -

US$ 111.99 - Electro Magnetic Levitation and Rotation Globe(TRA194), Free Shipping On All Gadgets!

Be careful if you go this route. These magnetic displays are precisely calibrated for the weight of the object that it is levitating. If you do build a deathstar, realize that it has to be within hundredths of an ounce, for it to work. The slightest weight variance, in either direction, throws these things, all out of balance.

-Fred

Very cool! I remember seeing those magnets about a year ago and thought they'd be great for the very same thing. :thumbsup

What I wanted to try at some point, which I though was very appropriate for the Mattel hoverboard as well, was make the base so the board looks like it's hovering over water. Real water would obviously be too troublesome, but maybe a thick sheet of clear resin cast to look like water would pull off the look. Maybe even with round water ripples under each magnet.

Now that would be super cool to see! :love

-Carson

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back