My Real Hovering Hoverboard Display

People have made electromagnetic deviation devices as hobby projects, but it isn't terribly straightforward. Each device involves a cluster of electromagnets (commonly four) and hall-effect sensors set up to provide feedback such that when the floating magnet approaches, power is increased to the appropriate coil. The simplicity of concept and low parts count belie the twitchiness of the things, though. They're seriously hard work to set up and keep working, and are prone to sudden and sometimes quite violent departures from controlled flight.

-HF

People have made electromagnetic deviation devices as hobby projects, but it isn't terribly straightforward. Each device involves a cluster of electromagnets (commonly four) and hall-effect sensors set up to provide feedback such that when the floating magnet approaches, power is increased to the appropriate coil. The simplicity of concept and low parts count belie the twitchiness of the things, though. They're seriously hard work to set up and keep working, and are prone to sudden and sometimes quite violent departures from controlled flight.

-HF

This is extreemly true, and was the case with the first units I tried. Wasted a bunch of money in trial and error and ended up breaking my first solution. These new devices however after some work on them ended being a much easier solution to deal with. This isn't something I would keep on all the time but is very cool for when people come by. I have a 80's style game room I've been working on, on one of the levels of my new home and I'd like to setup my bttf props in a creative way. I actually just got done filming my second show for HGTV called house hunters. I'll let you guys know when it airs, I got them to film the board in action, just hope it makes the final cut. Here are a few pics of the gameroom so far

Well I owe you a very big thank you then sir! its awesome to see how many people are interested in these types of things. Now I just need some Mags.

i think you owe you're brother a thank you as well since I did help you get these units into the USA.. just sayin. joint effort.

Dont make me post our original video of these in the testing days!

Why don't you make like a fictional "mattel hover board" advertisement display type base, like something you'd see in a store if were a real for sale type item. Have the magnet bases embeded into a flat display to make it look like it's just "hovering" there entirely on it's own

IDK, that'd be something I'd want to do. Great work, wish I could do this!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back