My Predator Mask Paint up + build

Jim N

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd share my photos of my Predator mask paint up and build.

I joined the Lair in Feb this year and have been lurking around for a while gathering info and tips from the wealth of information available here.
I then finally bought myself a mask and an airbrush and compressor kit and thought I'd give it a bash, although never used an airbrush before I was keen to see what I could achieve. So I've taken a load of photos of my slow progress as I'm still not finished yet!
Looking for some of your expert comments and advice.

Here is the blank mask purchased from Jaqthelad on ebay, he's a really nice chap who gave me a lot of tips, he also kindly base coated it for me:
DSCN1502.JPG

DSCN1504.JPG

I decided to change the starting colour, and then started to build up some colour:

DSCN1505.JPG

DSCN1506.JPG

Added mouth colour and more detailing:

DSCN1507.JPG

DSCN1511.JPG

Head Detailing:

DSCN1512.JPG

I also started making my own dreads from scratch, It's a long process, added a few in these pics:

DSCN1514.JPG

DSCN1515.JPG

OK, now I felt I was getting somewhere, I had added more detailing and dreads and added a coat of Liquitex gloss varnish and then added a pair of glass animal eyes which i got from Snowdonia supplies which I think now really add to the overall look:

DSCN1523.JPG

I've been looking for dread rings for a while, but for the moment I popped into B+Q and got some brass pipe olives from the plumbing section :D

DSCN1525.JPG

DSCN1526.JPG

DSCN1522.JPG

Thats where I'm up to just now, still to add the teeth, quills, more dreads and other minor details, but hoping to get that done over the next few days, got a lot more dreads to make too. Hope you like it so far and that it makes me worthy of joining you guys in the Lair!

I'll post some updates soon.

Many thanks to you guys for the many informative posts that you have made over the past years which is where I got most of the help and ideas from.

Please post your comments or questions, any help is very much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really good man, what did you make your dreads out of? They look great

Here's my dread making guide:

I got a hold of a wooden broom pole cut it in half and sanded down until pointed to make 2 masters. Then add a few coats of varnish to seal the wood. I then screwed them to a flat board. (You could also try using a snooker or pool cue for the master) I got some black latex colourant and mixed a small amount to normal air drying liquid latex.
Then brush paint the latex onto the poles. This is done for a few coats, then to speed things up I added latex thickener and added another 3-4 coats. The coloured latex is a grey colour until fully cured/dried when it turns black - so no painting involved!
Once fully dried sprinkle on baby powder and peel the latex back so effectively the smooth inside surface becomes the outer surface - ok?
You're then left with a floppy black dread, which then needs to be stuffed carefully with synthetic wadding which can be bought cheaply from ebay.
Use a thin pole or garden cane to push the wadding (in small pieces down in to the dread). When it is fully stuffed, wipe down with a wet cloth or shine up with some rubbershine if you're into that :D and you should have a respectable looking dread. As I said it is time consuming but could be speeded up by making more master poles.

here's some photos:

DSCN1527.JPG

DSCN1529.JPG

DSCN1530.JPG

DSCN1528.JPG

Hope this is of help

1st of all congratulations.

Not on the mask hehe, on joinig our tribe :D you will love it here.

youll find you learn alot each time you use a airbrush, but for a 1st time i think youve done really well.

Here's an update for you guys

Added teeth, quills and a few more dreads.

Nearly done now just need to add more dreads, quills and some beads.

Hope you like it!

DSCN1535.JPG

DSCN1536.JPG

DSCN1537.JPG

DSCN1539.JPG

DSCN1540.JPG

DSCN1541.JPG

DSCN1542.JPG

oh nice, i actually hate that mask, but your painting has done it good, i still don;t like it but your painting is impressive.
the dreads are a nice touch and fairly simple, good for those ppl that can;t afford or don;t want to splash out on Bambooies. my only concern will be the weight when there is 40+ on the mask

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back