My Pred Thread

Hi I thought I'd post a few more WIP pics of these gauntlets. The wristblade one is getting close to finished - it just needs bolting together and padding for a better fit. The bomb gaunt is still being painted but looks a lot better than the last few pics. Pics of that still to come. Here is a couple of the wristblades.

e1450e80.jpg
0360534d.jpg
16412b94.jpg

Also I paid the enormous customs charges on my Termokk package today and should receive delivery tomorrow. I will post pics as soon as I can. The whole costume will start to come together once I've got the head and torso.

Ok some good news and some bad news:

The good news is my stuff from Termokk arrived and it looks great.

The bad news is he forgot to add the zipper I asked for. I tried putting on the torso but I couldn't get it all the way down and almost got stuck and freaked out thinking I was suffocating. I'm not trying that again in a hurry.

He says to sew one on myself. I'm not the best with a needle and thread but will get my friend to help. I'm going to need a zip at least 3 quarters of the way up the back. Either that or just have this as a display costume, which to be fair was always my main use for it, although it does suck if I don't get to wear it.

He also forgot to add the magnets to the bio and mask so I've ordered some. That should be pretty easy to deal with. I'm just worried about cutting my expensive torso up the back and then sewing on a zip, although I'm sure I'll manage it somehow.

Half the fun of this project is solving problems so I guess that's what to do next...

P.s. I've just thought that another good solution might be velcro tabs up the back with the whole back slashed open and then cover that with the backpack. It would make it a lot easier to put on.

Anyway here are some pics of my new friend:

c43ae3a8.jpg
8a94b8fa.jpg
9d70ad7f.jpg
9f79588a.jpg
f6ef25a0.jpg

That beast looks amazing! I would try and glue down the zipper where you need it placed on the INSIDE of the suit. Im pretty sure they make a glue that can handle fabric to latex. that way your not messing up the beautiful paint job. then, I would put a nice strait slice with down the finished back in the middle of where the zipper comes together, exposing the zipper facing the right way. that way you'll have a nice flap over lapping the zipper, thus hiding it. If the zipper glue seems too weak then you could add stiches. Stiches would be a last resort. Again amazing suit!

edit: I hope this makes sense

Thanks Quakevirus. What kind of glue sticks fabric to latex and doesn't damage the latex? I would need the actual type of glue and not the brand name as I need to buy it in the UK. I like your idea of leaving the flap but I'd need some pretty strong glue to do it without stiches. It would certainly make the whole thing a lot easier. I really want to know what glue will do it now! My fear is using a plastic cement or something that dissolves the latex. Anyone know which glue to use for this?

I thought I was going to be getting this thing about half done by now but there's so much still to conquer with what I've got. My current list of jobs (excluding obtaining the parts I'm missing like legs, hands, feet etc) is:
  • Attaching magnets to bio and undermask
  • Adding zipper to back of mask and to suit
  • Attaching backpack to back of suit and preferably over zipper - I bought very strong velcro tape for this.
  • Painting backpack.
  • Attaching cannon to backpack shoulder so it can take the weight of it - bolting it through backpack without screwing it up.
  • Fixing wristblades in place, then attaching top of wristblade gauntlet firmly. Also need to add some padding to the inside so they have a snug fit.
  • Painting bomb gauntlet and also adding padding to inside.
  • Painting up skull and spine trophy
Well that's the list for now. It's a lot to do but I think when it's complete this thing will look amazing! Then, and only then will I start comissioning some legs, hands and feet. I'm thinking this to do list could take quite a while. At least now I've finally got my mask & torso. I'll feel a lot better about them once zippers are installed

I'll post more updates soon!

Thanks for the suggestion mate but I'm not sure that would be better than a simple slit up the side. Too much likelihood the whole thing gets very tricky and messy that way. Thanks for the effort you put in with the diagram. :)

Any other ideas?

Looking at those pictures of the torso, I wouldn't cut it like on those suggestions, no offence ment but thats way too complex cut for zipper use.

How snugg is the head opening, if you try to pull your head though it as it is. Test if you can fit your head quite easily thru it, I mean when you have the torso in your hands don't try to wear it, just pop your head inside the suit from head opening and see how snugg it is.

If it doesnt need a zipper to make it open bigger, then my solution would be to cut right side seam line of the torso.

Simple straight cut from the hem part of the torso to underneath the right armpit. This will give the torso enough opening for easy suit up and chest and back areas will stay nice and zipper free. Body netting will hide zipper quite well and its not as visible as it would be if the back would have long zipper running all the way through.

I'm not an expert on this, I would quess that Termokk knows the best since this is he's torso :)

edit : Best way to glue zipper to latex is to use liquid latex. Almost anykind of liquid latex will work.

Simply soak all the fabric on the zipper with liquid latex and let it set. When you're cut the opening for zipper, brush thin layer of liquid latex on the area when zipper attach, wait it to cure so that latex turns to transparent. Then simply place zippers upper part in place and start to go from there. Start from the upper part, on my example case, underneath the armpit and go towards hem from there.

edit 2 : No customers at work so I had time to look around, I saw thread by maximuspred who has the same torso and has thread about it here

http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/25119-finished-termokk-p1-torso/

Looking from those pics it looks like he used traditional backzipper running all the way up. I think he can give you an advice.

Kanji thanks so much for all your suggestions! I am checking that thread now. Termokk is saying to cut up the back through the foam and add zipper. My mate reckons we should just use super tough velcro and I'm inclined to agree. I still haven't decided but will post when I have.

Hey bud,
Sorry about the zipper, I dont officaly offer them, so when i checked your order before shipping it wasent on there because it was never paid for. I will send you the magnets for free thought if you want them, you dont have to order them. I pride myself on making sure people are happy with my stuff so i will do what ever is needed to make it right. Stay away from crazy cuts, and try to keep it strait and even. Its best to hide it in the flat smooth part of the backpack because the computer will eventualy cover that. Let me know if there is anything else i can do to help.

Hey Corey. I'm completely satisfied mate. It's an amazing costume. Every time I look at it I do a double take. It's beautiful. And you were really helpful with everything.

I took your advice on the zip and it's now half sewn on. This pic shows its current state.

21efa75d.jpg

Edit: if the zip is visible anywhere I can always paint it to disguise it.

I wore it for the first time and it was badass!

Also I noticed that when you talk or move your jaw in the mask the mandibles move! It's better than animatronics! It's going to look awesome when coupled with my sound device.

Don't worry about the magnets as I already ordered some but thanks for the offer. It won't be hard to attach them to the bio and mask.

I'm just glad I wore my torso for the first time!

Just for fun here is a pic I took earlier...

6c468478.jpg

My zipper is finished. At the moment its a thin blue line up the back but with the backpack and netting I'll disguise it and paint the rest to be invisible. I'm so glad I did that. My costume is starting to be wearable. WOOO!

I'll be working on the gauntlets and backpack next as I can now see how they will fit now I have the torso.

Due to the zipper I've now been able to attach the mannequins arms (although admittedly I couldn't completely lock them into place as they aren't moulded to fit Termokks torso - so forgive me if they look a bit odd). My crazy eyed man has become a crazy eyed Pred! I still call him George though.

9f291a13.jpg

I think I might see if I can get a mannequin that's a better fit. My one has massive muscles that don't make it the best fit. It nees more poseable arms too. Hmmm. I can always use an extra mannequin...

Solved the problem of the alien shield. I am putting in a handle to grip, a strap for the upper arm and a back strap for general ornamental wear

I also hung my Facehugger with invisible thread. It is now molesting my G1 Transformers collection...

IMG_1337.jpg

Holy shiz, man! You have the mp3 playing soundwave? frikkin' sweet!

I bought some rare earth magnets but they were too weak - they were only like 5mil across. I then went and picked up some much wider ones - like 30mm ones and have attached them to my Bio with Milliput epoxy putty. The bio now clips on nicely.

904650b2.jpg
cf5c38f7.jpg
13b4c532.jpg
5872dfc4.jpg
7f5cd486.jpg
92a3b478.jpg
9e237c26.jpg

I have almost finished my wristblade gauntlet. Here it is at the moment. Bear in mind that the mannequin arms look a bit too long because they are not attached at the shoulder. When I get hands I'll be removing the mannequin hands and adding the Predator ones over the wrist stumps. This should make the mannequin look proportionate.

fd346db1.jpg

87e55ae0.jpg
7f3f7813.jpg

968e2ffa.jpg

Ok my bomb gauntlet is finished. I used magnets wrapped in epoxy putty as a mechanism to keep the little door shut over the working bomb countdown - it opens and closes really smoothly. At some point I'll post a video to show the electronics. It works really well and looks awesome. To be honest my worst problem has been fitting the suit on the mannequin I bought because foolishly I bought one with a big build. The gauntlets need foam inners to fit my arms but on the mannequin these have to be removed. Also I haven't managed to slot the left arm in properly (without deforming Termokk's awesome torso) so its carefully positioned. None of this is an issue with the costume. I'm buying hands from Mannowar on Friday so wil be able to remove the mannequin hands (at least the left one) and have these over the stumps shortening it.

I took some pics to show off what he's looking like with the alien head shield strapped on too. Bear in mind I have a backpack being prepared too with a shoulder cannon so this shield may end up being held in the hand when going on short hunts instead of the bomb gauntlet. We'll see. For now it looks pretty cool. I'm getting some of those actual lasers with the hand switch for the bio so I can have that rigged to one glove and my sound box from the Thinkgeek shirt linked to the other hand (or mounted on a gauntlet or belt or backpack). This means I'll be able to switch on my lasers and have the sound effect of the targeting at the same time...heh heh.

aabe20b2.jpg

87fe06f2.jpg

e4b6df7b.jpg

a4108f56.jpg
1cb6dab3.jpg
fa222e7b.jpg

bc9b641b.jpg
2a6a2b14.jpg
e40ad0db.jpg
4a7a7986.jpg
d99dddeb.jpg

Sorry for the sheer volume of pics but I'm really diggin how far this has got now and wanted to have a selection of photos.

Oh yeah and I'm going to try grab some netting and a piece of tubing on the weekend (the tubing is to connect the pectoral armor to the shoulder armor.)

I'm using velcro to hold on the backpack and I'm sewing it in strips across the inside of it. It needs some padding on top of the foam already in there but I can use bubble wrap to just fill the gap between foam and velcro. Then I will sew one long strip along the zip edge on the back of the torso. This should be pretty strong and hopefully easiy bear the weight of a latex backpack with resin cannon. If not then it's back to the drawing board. I'm very keen to see the cannon on there.

Oh yeah and I painted the blue zip and now its invisible. That was really satisfying as I was a little pissed at my colour choice.

More soon!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back