HCG Predator 2 Lighted strobe disc with base unboxing

goldcylon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After almost a 2 year pre-order, I received an email from Hollywood Collector's Group (HGC) on Monday that my pre-Order had shipped. So here is your friendly Goldcylon unboxing and review. It's a slimmer box than I expected and I received #24 of 150 which was the numbered edition version. You can see this information on the side of the plain brown shipper. Upon opening there is a thin topper piece of cardboard on the top and the bottom of the box protecting the styrofoam inner tray. There is no art box, no COA and a very poor black and white copy of the battery installation instructions. The tray is labeled TOP and is two pieces of styrofoam taped in the center and all the individual pieces are foam roll wrapped. It's over ten pounds and pretty heavy and feels like a resin poly stone mix. The numbered placard base is basically a laminated label with the edition number written in with a felt pen. While the weight on the placard is good the lack of an aluminum metal number Predator 2 plate is disappointing in the 21st century. The prop base is very heavy however the holder pieces are very light and are meant to placed in the base angled away from the center. They are angle keyed on the bottom so they fit only one way in the prop base. One fit in like a glove and the other was a challenge to get into and I was really concerned about the amount of pressure it took to get the one piece in. The base weathering and style is pretty good IMHO and the edition number can be seen on the underside of the base. The holders in the base are pretty weak but ok when locked in. If you are not careful I can see either of these snapping off pretty easily. The battery door on the back side of the disc does not take too much pressure to lift off and is held in with a decent magnet on the top and had two slot retention tabs at the bottom. The prop takes two triple A batteries. So IMHO the prop weathering is good, the gears in the middle articulate as you move the prop apart and weapon light pulses. While this prop looks great it would break real easy if you tried to flip it open, it in no way should be used for trooping. It's too fragile and if you dropped it.... it would shatter. Before opening it I would make sure the center gearing is flush as it's a little sloppy and loose. What sells this prop is the light show and the pulsing is indeed impressive. If you are looking for a decent to look at sample/example as I think this hits the mark at the price point. The lack of a art box, printed label edition placard, no COA and craptastic instructions page obviously were decisions made the keep the price as low as possible I guess? However they missed an opportunity to create something better. I am keeping it, and believe it's the only one of the upcoming prop replicas to be released that has a light function beside the bio-helmet which I passed on. Enjoy the read and the PICS. A final thought, is the numbered edition a big deal? No as it cost was the same... however I think the attempt with a small numbered edition was a 100% marketing ploy to get you to commit artificially driving you to conclude it would stand out from the regular edition.... Maybe the aluminum plate would have made it stand out vs. a regular edition? The Felt pen reminds me of Factory Entertainment, but they have owned that from the beginning. A solid B- minus grade from this reviewer however, it has a home in my menagerie of non focused and non specific prop Sci-Fi den. Now bring on my bug stomping Aliens lift ship pre-order.

GC

IMG_0342.jpeg
IMG_0343.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpeg
IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_0349.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg
IMG_0353.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg
IMG_0351.jpeg
IMG_0359.jpeg
IMG_0358.jpeg

Last edited:
I have number #92 I can't get my battery compartment open at all . I used a tooth pick and no success. Could you please post pics on how the battery cover looks like thanks, right now i am stuck with a expensive static replica

Great review man . The base looks terrible IMO . After seeing the pics and the review I'm going to pass . It just screams cheaply made and cut every corner they could. Icons made a handful of static Discs what 25 years ago that smokes that thing in every way imaginable !

Great review man . The base looks terrible IMO . After seeing the pics and the review I'm going to pass . It just screams cheaply made and cut every corner they could. Icons made a handful of static Discs what 25 years ago that smokes that thing in every way imaginable !
I watched P2 again last night specifically to see the disc. The base looks like the wall Glyphs in the interior of the spaceship before the final key battle. Thats just it. The big and sexy of this prop replicas is the lighted and the slide open feature that none of em had before. Thats why I canceled my order on the helmet as I also have the ICONS wall hanger unit as well. The dart gun and the shoulder cannon will just be static and even less exciting however I have nothing of those in that format either. I would like to see a self destruct wrist gauntlet with the full electronics countdown someday. Would that not be...... Awesome?

Last edited:
I have number #92 I can't get my battery compartment open at all . I used a tooth pick and no success. Could you please post pics on how the battery cover looks like thanks, right now i am stuck with a expensive static replica
Go boldly. See the magnet placement and the bottom slot tabs? LMK what you think about the strobe effect? Toothpick can't break the grip of the magnet. Try a small nail. It takes a little pull back but trust me it's no rare earth magnet.

IMG_0361.jpeg

Last edited:
Go boldly. See the magnet placement and the bottom slot tabs? LMK what you think about the strobe effect? Toothpick can't break the grip of the magnet. Try a small nail. It takes a little pull back but trust me it's no rare earth magnet.

View attachment 1790466
I got the battery cover off it is on there pretty strong magnet put my batteries in and presto thanks for the pic.

View attachment 1790466
I also made a pull tab on the battery cover so when I need to change the batteries I just pull the tab and the cover comes right off. The stobe light is awesome

Attachments

• 20240216_143554.mp4
    13.6 MB
Yeah the light show is great. But there will be no slinging this over your shoulder like Danny Glover did in P2 lol

However, that may be just fine for a display piece

Yeah the light show is great. But there will be no slinging this over your shoulder like Danny Glover did in P2 lol

However, that may be just fine for a display piece
Absolutely no slinging LOL, that 2 year wait was crazy, I think it was worth it. I always wanted the predator disc weapon and finally got one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back