My new Studio Scale T-Rex Bust

JSA

Howdy folks. I've been around here for a few months now, and finally
will be getting my first "studio scale" item in for my private collection.
It is a 1/5th Studio Scale T-Rex bust from the film Jurassic Park that I
had privately comissioned and painted. I think it turned out very well. :love

trex1.jpg

trex7.jpg

trex6.jpg

trex3.jpg

This bust was cast from the actual screen-used 1/5th scale T-Rex
puppet from Jurassic Park, so all the details are 100% accurate.
It should be around 24" ± an inch or so from base to tip of nose.

I should receive it later this week, and will then have to find a
suitable place to hang it for display. If anybody wants details on
it, pm me and I'll let you know anything you may want to know.
The casting is still available, you'd just have to commission your
painter of choice to finish one off if you wanted one for yourself.

Thanks very much for looking. :)

JS :D

Originally posted by sapper36@Mar 13 2006, 05:29 PM
So what was the 1/5 Puppet used for? Laser scanning or other things?

Thanks,  Todd
[snapback]1204975[/snapback]​

Todd,

As I understand it, the original puppet was screen-used for
some of the shots in the film. I'm not sure which ones, but
I'd guess where the T-Rex makes its first appearance, as
that looked like an actual physical model, and not CG.

JS

There actually was no 1/5 puppet. Only a reference maquette at that scale. All of the puppets in JP were realized at full scale. One of the common misconceptions about the JP films is that most of the dinosaurs are CG. In reality, only about 1/4 of the dinos seen on screen in the 1st JP are CG, most being lifesize puppets and animatronics.

Stan Winston Studio (as well as many of the creature shops) almost always generate a smaller scale maquette for approval before going to the full scale sculpture. In the case of the 1/5 JP T-Rex, it was sculpted for approval, and then once approved, was used as reference for the CG guys at ILM. It was also used as reference for the full size clay sculpture.

With improvements in digital scanning and laser foam cutting (etc.) in the years since the first JP, the maquettes serve even more purpose. By the time we did JP3, the highly detailed Spinosaur maquette was actually scanned and the resulting computer files were used to cut large foam blocks which were assembled into the lifesize piece. This then required a small amount of clean-up, detailing, and refinement, but overall was siginificantly faster and easier than sculpting in clay from scratch...

Originally posted by sapper36@Mar 13 2006, 04:29 PM
So what was the 1/5 Puppet used for? Laser scanning or other things?

Thanks,  Todd
[snapback]1204975[/snapback]​

Originally posted by seknewb@Mar 21 2006, 05:15 PM
There actually was no 1/5 puppet.  Only a reference maquette at that scale.  All of the puppets in JP were realized at full scale.  One of the common misconceptions about the JP films is that most of the dinosaurs are CG.  In reality, only about 1/4 of the dinos seen on screen in the 1st JP are CG, most being lifesize puppets and animatronics. 

Stan Winston Studio (as well as many of the creature shops) almost always generate a smaller scale maquette for approval before going to the full scale sculpture.  In the case of the 1/5 JP T-Rex, it was sculpted for approval, and then once approved, was used as reference for the CG guys at ILM.  It was also used as reference for the full size clay sculpture. 

With improvements in digital scanning and laser foam cutting (etc.) in the years since the first JP, the maquettes serve even more purpose.  By the time we did JP3, the highly detailed Spinosaur maquette was actually scanned and the resulting computer files were used to cut large foam blocks which were assembled into the lifesize piece.  This then required a small amount of clean-up, detailing, and refinement, but overall was siginificantly faster and easier than sculpting in clay from scratch...

Thanks for the info seknewb.

Here are some pictures though, used in reference for the bust, and one of them
states that it is a puppet. :confused I'd love any more info about this if at all possible.

trex12pd7lf.jpg

trexpuppet1mo.jpg

The top picture was what the bust was taken from to my knowledge.
I'd absolutely love to have a copy of that full statue for my collection.

Thanks for any more info on things. :)

JS

I should clarify. There was no 1/5 T-Rex puppet IN the movie. Originally, all of the CG shots were slated to be done with stop-motion and rod-puppets. The 1/5 T-rex maquette was used in a testing phase for the stop-motion. Ultimately, the stop-motion and rod-puppets were abandoned in favor of CG as we all know. Thus, no 1/5 Rex puppet IN the movie. All of the puppets that were used in the movie were lifesize (1/1).

Also of note. The bust you have is the modified maquette from "Lost World", not the first "Jurassic Park". Note the scars on the side of the face.

Originally posted by JSAuctionService+Mar 22 2006, 10:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JSAuctionService @ Mar 22 2006, 10:08 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-seknewb
@Mar 21 2006, 05:15 PM
There actually was no 1/5 puppet.  Only a reference maquette at that scale.  All of the puppets in JP were realized at full scale.  One of the common misconceptions about the JP films is that most of the dinosaurs are CG.  In reality, only about 1/4 of the dinos seen on screen in the 1st JP are CG, most being lifesize puppets and animatronics. 

Stan Winston Studio (as well as many of the creature shops) almost always generate a smaller scale maquette for approval before going to the full scale sculpture.  In the case of the 1/5 JP T-Rex, it was sculpted for approval, and then once approved, was used as reference for the CG guys at ILM.  It was also used as reference for the full size clay sculpture. 

With improvements in digital scanning and laser foam cutting (etc.) in the years since the first JP, the maquettes serve even more purpose.  By the time we did JP3, the highly detailed Spinosaur maquette was actually scanned and the resulting computer files were used to cut large foam blocks which were assembled into the lifesize piece.  This then required a small amount of clean-up, detailing, and refinement, but overall was siginificantly faster and easier than sculpting in clay from scratch...

Thanks for the info seknewb.

Here are some pictures though, used in reference for the bust, and one of them
states that it is a puppet. :confused I'd love any more info about this if at all possible.

trex12pd7lf.jpg

trexpuppet1mo.jpg

The top picture was what the bust was taken from to my knowledge.
I'd absolutely love to have a copy of that full statue for my collection.

Thanks for any more info on things. :)

JS
[snapback]1210946[/snapback]​
[/b]

RB, are you sure you posted in the right thread?

It looks like you necromanced a 4 1/2 year old thread with a post I can't even find :lol.

-Fred

RB wasn't the one who necro the thread it was the new guy named michaelholt1 . " he stated he had this exact same t-Rex for sake and RB called him out lol...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back