My New Star Wars Home Theater - Death Star Hangar

When I was a kid, I wanted to do this to my bedroom soooo badly. I suppose that as an adult (and I do use that term loosely) I still want to do this to my bedroom :lol I am in total awe!

I've seen effects "windows" created on movie sets that were hi def flat screen TVs set into the flats (walls) and then trimmed out with window framing,
Then the FX guys would just play video footage of whatever they wanted to be seen "outside" the window.

I can imagine doing a starfield and maybe even a rotating Tatooine in the foreground wouldn't be to hard to conjure up these days.

Loving this build!

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

I did buy some fiber optics from a guy on eBay and was thinking about rigging up a star field. The wall area is small enough I could cut two pieces of drywall and mount them about an inch off the wall so the screen still clears. The drywall is relatively inexpensive and smooth, so painting the space scene would be easier. I've never used fiber optics so I've been playing around with the strands I just got.

It would be a cool effect, I just haven't committed to the idea yet. I did watch some great videos on YouTube so I don't think it would be too incredibly difficult, so we'll see.

Was finally able to work on the front wall, with the help of a friend we made some great progress. I still have some touch ups and details to finish, and need to add the ships back on, but it came out great and really completes the room. Looking forward to seeing how it looks with the ships........

(Sorry for the poor photos, lighting was giving me a hard time with the phone, will use the camera next time)

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

Was able to get the Ties and X-Wings, along with a Falcon, some explosions, and lasers, reprinted and mounted to some poster board. I glued some foam board to the backs of each ship after cutting them out so they'll stick off the wall a little for a more 3D effect. Just need to add a few more stars, add detail to the asteroid field, a few other odds and ends, and then remount that center speaker and this room is about 99% done.

IMG_1841 Theater.JPG

IMG_6270.JPG

Still want to do something to the ceiling. Originally it was going to be pipes, but I'm moving away from that. I saw this picture and like the idea of the metal trusses and hoses.

hangar.jpg

My dilemma is this, my walls are styled after a Death Star hallway, but I wanted the illusion you were in a hangar bay looking out into space. If I stick with the hallway theme, the ceiling should be left black. If I go the hangar route, I want to take some 1/2" strips of wood squares, build some trusses, paint them a metal color and add them to the ceiling.

I guess it doesn't matter if it's not accurate either way.........maybe I could give it a shot.

No No No... now you've done it. You mixed OT with ST. ;)

I see you're stuck on how to move forward with the ceiling. I would pour over any and all images of the DS and SD you can find and then find a happy medium. Remember, this is your project. Do what you feel is most comfortable and most exciting to you. :)

Hey A,

I'm sure you've looked over lots of images but I found these images that might help inspire you. Note all the details around the door and walls - similar to the main screen shape you have. :)

Hope these help inspire!

Thank you, excellent pictures! If I ever do this again, I have a ton of different design elements I would love to change.

The carpet is throwing me off. Have you ever thought about black linoleum? Or a high sheen black garage paint for the floor? Im with you on painting the ceiling.

The carpet is throwing me off. Have you ever thought about black linoleum? Or a high sheen black garage paint for the floor? Im with you on painting the ceiling.

Yeah, I thought of both actually and was about to do that. I made a comment about it in my Kylo Ren thread, I decided against it based on 1) sound deflection, 2) comfort (I actually like to lay on the floor even as an adult to watch TV), and 3) buyer appeal should we ever want to sell. It actually looks darker than how it appears in the photos. I painted the ceiling black already, just want to add some design elements to it.

What did you end up using as light diffusers for the lighted wall panels? I had planned to use acrylic in mine until I started adding up the cost.

-Eric

What did you end up using as light diffusers for the lighted wall panels? I had planned to use acrylic in mine until I started adding up the cost.

-Eric

I ended up using two sheets of 1/8" translucent white acrylic. It does get pricey, I think I spent $161 for two cut sheets.

I ended up using two sheets of 1/8" translucent white acrylic. It does get pricey, I think I spent $161 for two cut sheets.

You were supposed to say,"I found this great material that really does a great job and it only cost $10 for a 4x8 sheet. You can get it at your local big box store." :)

Did you use the sheets complete? Or did you cut it up into individual light panels to make it go farther?

Thanks,

-Eric

You were supposed to say,"I found this great material that really does a great job and it only cost $10 for a 4x8 sheet. You can get it at your local big box store." :)

Did you use the sheets complete? Or did you cut it up into individual light panels to make it go farther?

Thanks,

-Eric

Trust me, I tried looking for alternatives! I thought about buying clear film and using that window frosting to spray it, I thought about using white vinyl material, even fabric, I looked at several different plastics, I even thought about nixing the light idea and just painting another piece of MDF white and mounting it behind the panel. But unfortunately this was going to look the best.

I just had them cut each 4 x 8 sheet a little smaller than the actual panel size. I think each piece ended up being somewhere around 34.5" by 94", which gave me some nice scrap pieces to use for other projects.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back