My New Star Wars Home Theater - Death Star Hangar

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by azheat01, May 16, 2015.

1. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Been off the boards for a while, working on some home projects, one of which is my new Star Wars home theater. My old "mini theater" was getting too cramped so I decided to convert the loft into a larger theater. Sorry if you've attempted to look at some of my older threads, I recently switched web hosting companies so my old photos are mostly off-line at the moment, I'll work on putting those up next.

I'm going to try and make this room look like the inside of a Death Star bay / hallway / hangar. I'm not specifically trying to copy any exact image, just the idea.

Here is the loft prior to starting, put in some new gray carpet and started priming the walls to cover the old color.

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

I painted the front wall and ceiling black, mounted the new fans, projector, and screen. I'm running an Epson Optoma 3500. I was skeptical about getting a projector, but I wanted something larger for the room and still wanted 3D. For the price, I am incredibly happy. There was a lot of great feedback on this projector. The screen is 120".

IMG_5450.JPG

I wanted the room to look like you were in the hanger looking out, so I started framing the side walls and making the front wall look like a bay door.

IMG_0457b.jpg

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

I'm going to paint the projector screen housing black along with the wire covers and control box. I also added a strip of blue LEDs that work off a remote.

IMG_0477.JPG

Started installing the panels, slots will be cut out for the windows and there will be hinged panels covering them so they can be easily opened.

IMG_5482.JPG

This room is bigger than my previous room, about 5' wider and 7' longer. I plan on putting some x-wings and tie fighters on the front wall, battling it out. Maybe some of those Fathead decals, not sure yet. So far this has been quite the project, especially since my carpentry skills suck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Rogue1Luvr and DS Operative like this.
  2. azheat01

Re: My New Star Wars Home Theater - Death Star Hanger

I also worked on the two slotted wall pieces that will be back lit. I used 1/2" MDF for those.

IMG_0482.JPG

To illuminate these I am using two, 4' LED light strips. Lowe's sells these but they aren't cheap, $40 per strip. I wanted to use 4 strips per panel, but just wasn't going to spend that kind of money. There may be other alternatives to this type of lighting, I just went with what was available locally. I also wanted LEDs so I didn't have to change bulbs and to reduce the heat.

Since I am only using two lights per panel, I decided to cover the wall area with aluminum foil to help with light reflection. I tested the panel against a white wall and with the foil and the foil did help reflect the light once the panel was installed. The lights run off a light switch so that I can turn them on as soon as I enter the room. The good thing about putting this theater room upstairs was that I had easy access to the attic. So I was able to run an extension cord through the ceiling to power both panels with one switch. I was able to completely hide all wires, so I am happy with how it came out.

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

3. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Neato!!!

4. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is sweet. Have you posted this over at the AVS forum?

SB

5. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Looking great, can't wait to see the next progress photos!!! What a great idea for a theatre room!!!

6. azheat01

Thanks, no, not part of that forum so I haven't posted over there. I'm just looking forward to getting this done.

7. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love themed rooms! Keep the pics coming.

-Eric

cavx and Andymac84 like this.
  8. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool. Can't wait to see I finished.

9. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As a kid I always wanted to do something like this to my bedroom. Needless to say, I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out. Very cool project!

10. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love these full area projects. This is looking awesome!

11. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks promising. But where is the hanger and the Death Star to hang from it?

Agent RayBans likes this.
  12. azheat01

I knew that was coming. I tried everywhere to find the edit button for the title, I know it's here because I've used it before, but no luck. I'll eventually find it and change it.

13. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

image.jpg

JHVanOphem and cayman shen like this.
  14. azheat01

I got the last of the panels up today, finally. These were such a pain, lugging each 4' x 8' sheet up the stairs. I still have a few more screws to put in and some minor adjusting. I'm going to start working on the detail layers now. I picked up several lengths of 5/8" MDF trim and a few more panels to cut. I want to get all those pieces in place, fill in the gaps with caulk, then start painting. I'm anxious to get the speakers hooked up, I haven't seen LOTR BOTFA yet, I'm holding out until this room is done!

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

Nick K, jkno and SofaKing01 like this.
  15. azheat01

Thanks brother, I was inspired by your Smugglers Room. Except mine, ya know, won't be as detailed!

16. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The panels are amazing. Wish I had the router skills to pull that off.
    Well done.

17. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

This is great. I love the whole room builds that I've seen. I would love to try something like this, but there's two problems. One I've not the slightest clue how to install the electrical nor the experience in carpentry, and two I live in an apartment.

18. Fuzzual

Thanks for that nod. I think there is plenty of detail here. Looks killer so far. Those light panels just just add so much to the space!

19. azheat01

Yeah, I really love the panels, they're my favorite part. They really sell the Star Wars theme.

Slow progress this week, but I managed to get some of the front detail pieces on. I had to take several liberties with my design. These front wall detail pieces are supposed to be recessed, but I didn't want to mess with cutting them in. So I saved some time and labor and just went with pieces on top. I still may add some greeblies to this front area.

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

I also started on the side wall panels. I found some air return grills and decided to use those rather than building from scratch. Although not screen accurate, I think they'll feel the part once painted. I'm also going to line the inside of these grills with some black screen material. I temporarily taped one in just to get an idea of the look.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

I'll work on the rest of the walls this weekend. Because I had to make some design changes, I am not entirely sure how I want to alternate these panels.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Nick K likes this.
  20. azheat01

Made some decent progress today.............

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

Nick K and jediscout72 like this.
  21. azheat01

A little more progress, just about done with the walls and details. I once again had to take several design liberties. I want to get the speakers mounted today if possible so I can use the room despite still needing to paint.

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

dejordzta likes this.
  22. Fuzzual

AWESOME!!!!!!!

23. justy

justy Active Member

This is absolutely fantastic.

24. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Color me impressed!!!!!

Ben

25. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

My reaction to those pics:

uploadfromtaptalk1432630708738.jpg

26. dasAdam

dasAdam Active Member

great! just great =D

27. T Jay

T Jay New Member

Would love to have such a theme room at home. Very inspiring!

28. azheat01

Thanks guys!

Not a lot got done today. I did get some 1/8" paneling and decided to cover the inside door. Having a traditional two panel door just doesn't fit the room. I was thinking it would be cool to have one of those door size posters but make it look like a Death Star corridor!

I'll paint it gray for now then figure out what to do with it later.

IMG_0535.JPG

I was able to mount all 7 speakers and test some new paint. I wanted to go a little darker than what I initially had, I'm glad I did, color looks great.

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

I have some minor finishing work left, then I can get the painting done. But before that, I couldn't resist watching ESB!

IMG_0534.JPG

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    knnyjay likes this.
  29. hdtheater

Looks like you are coming along nicely!

Have you taken any steps to deal with sound absorption in the theater? It looks like you are primarily using MDF to build the panels. While it will look really cool, you could end up with sound reflection issues. If you aren't already, you could trade out some of the hard panels for soft ones that absorb sound as opposed to reflecting it. These are usually at the front of the room close to the screen. You can see this done in churches and large conference rooms.

I have built a few theaters over the years and some times it is not an issue, but it could be if there are too many hard surfaces in a room.

PM me if you want to discuss.

-Eric

cavx and DS Operative like this.
  30. azheat01

Great advice, thank you. I'll definitely consider this when I start fine tuning the audio.

cavx likes this.
  31. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

Would you possibly have some exact measurements or files for those panels? I am thinking about creating a custom light/wall decoration for a large wall I have at home, and this came to mind.
    I wouldn't need exact numbers (because I'm sizing things according to what I need) but more so the relationship of sizes of the different holes.

I figure you start with a pattern of circles first and connect 2 or 3 of them? But what spacing? I tried to mock it up in Photoshop but I can't get the pattern to look quite right.

32. azheat01

I took a little time off to hit Phoenix ComiCon, but I was able to start painting the walls. Sorry for the crappy photos, was in a hurry.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  33. Fuzzual

"Thats no moon . . . Its Azheat's KICK * HOME THEATER!!!!!" Awesome work!

34. hdtheater

It says Docking Bay 94 on the entry door!

35. azheat01

Ha, thanks guys! Been hard at work on this, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

In addition to painting today I wanted to add some thin strips to the bottom of 3 of the panels. I found these at Lowes and they look great. The paint looks awesome, really ties everything together.

3.JPG

image1a.JPG

image2a.JPG

I really hope to have all the painting done tomorrow.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  36. azheat01

I also had a hard time finding anything so I had to wing it. I looked at a bunch of photos and came up with what you see below. My light panels are 35.5" wide by 8' tall. I think they came out great, but well after I was in to this I realized two things that bothered me:

1) I made the middle dividing line too small

2) I made the line above the bottom holes and the line below the top holes too small

Seeing this now, I would have made those 3 lines larger and reduced the size of the holes by a few inches. It was my first attempt though, so I can live with these results.

Hope the image below helps.

Plans.jpg

37. azheat01

I was finally able to get all the painting done, what a relief! I installed all the vent covers and painted the screen housing, cord hiders, and control panel black. This looks so much better than I imagined. I still have a few things left before this project is done, got some ideas for the front wall, a DVD cabinet, and some pipes I want to run across the ceiling. The best thing about getting to this point is I can FINALLY use it to watch movies, play XBOX, and start moving all my lifesized figures, cabinets, and collectibles up.

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

Reelo, Unfated and Luke the Belter like this.
  38. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Looks really awesome.

What about a beamer housing looking like a tie-bomber or the tie from vader. I think it would look great in your hangar.

39. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whilst his walls are MDF, the fact that he has added details to create a patterned surface has to be better than the countless rooms I've seen that have smooth plaster walls. The greeblies used on the wall detail will actually aid in some (limited due to their depth) diffusion reducing the annoying slap echoes that plague many HTs.

I agree that some absorption is needed in a room like this.

I did the first 1/3rd from floor to ceiling in my own room and the bottom half of the remaining 2/3rds. The really cool part is when I clap my hands at the screen end, and all I hear is a dull thud. The usual sharper reflections of such a sound we are used to hearing are not there and it sounds a little odd at first. What this all means though is that the only echoes I will hear at that end of the room will be those coming from the screen speakers. As a result, dialogue is extremely intelligible, even at low levels.

I have added some diffusion, but I do feel more would be better. I would love to have the side panels laser cut from full sheets and then place them in my room as both a form of sound treatment and visual or themed piece.

It is good that the OP is doing a nice dark grey as well.

Azrael69 likes this.
  40. azheat01

Thanks for the input. I still have to move my 6 Ikea Detolf cases in the room along with my 8 lifesized figures, so that will affect the sound as well. I just need to get everything into the room, which I hope to have done this week.

41. oopie wan

oopie wan New Member

thats gorgeous. great work

42. cavx

It will be interesting to know if those cases rattle or not. The only thing I have had fall down due to the rumbles of my sub-woofers was a 1/12 scale clear Predator. I currently have all my 6" black series stuff set up on the one of the sub-woofers and none have fallen over yet.

I know why you are moving the Ikea cases in there, just smooth glass surfaces are not the best for a HT. How many do you have and can you spread them out? Yes your 1:1 props should diffuse sound and maybe even absorb some. Maybe if possible you can place a 1:1 between two of the cases to reduce the larger areas of reflective glass.

43. azheat01

Trying to finish this up, but its been a slow week. One of my original ideas was to build a DVD rack into the wall, but it just wasn't going to work like I had envisioned, so I went with plan B. I found a hanging garage wall cabinet and figured it would work just fine. I added a third shelf so I have plenty of DVD space. I didn't get carried away with the my AV components either, just went with a simple cabinet. I wanted to tie the two together, so I took a trip to Lowe's and bought about $50 in plumbing and irrigation supplies.

Fuel.JPG

After messing around with some ideas, this is what I came up with.

Fuel3.JPG

It's nothing specific, just trying to sell the theme and bridge the gap between the two pieces. I made a little fuel window with a water bottle, some yellow food dye, and a tiny bit of milk to make it a little cloudy. I also added four yellow LEDs to the bottom of the bottle, a solid red, a blinking red, and a solid green to the front, and a switch to the side of the pipe for more effect.

Fuel2.JPG

Fuel1.JPG

I'm not done with this yet, still have a few other ideas to finish on it, but wanted to show the progress. I'll likely end up painting it all black and maybe add some labels. I'm thinking about doing the fuel window to the overhead pipes when I get to that point, that was my original idea anyway when I thought of it. It was also nice to finally get a few of the cabinets moved up.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    dejordzta likes this.
  44. azheat01

Also going to try this:

panel2.jpg

With this and some left over plexiglass:

Panel.JPG

Not going to spend a lot of time on this, but wanted to give it a shot.

45. cavx

This is cool. How many you going to make?

Whilst I like your "plumbing" idea, I am not sure you are going to want extra light in the room during a screening, so hope it has an easy to access OFF switch.

46. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Keep coming back to this thread and I'm never disappointed. This addition is the cats pajamas. This is really making want to do the garage conversion to a home theater I've been contemplating for a couple of years now.

I'd love to see a build thread on this latest addition. I know nothing about electronics!

47. azheat01

Just making one, and yes, the fuel cell has a switch to turn it on and off. Runs off one 9v battery.

48. azheat01

Thanks! The electronics I use are simple, just LEDs with a resistor and one 9v battery. I used about 40 LEDs on my HIC (will post soon once he's moved into the room). I turn it on when I show people, sometimes for effect I'll leave it on for a while, and the battery lasted a few years. I love working with the LEDs, so easy.

49. CT7567

CT7567 Active Member

This is really awesome! Looks absolutely perfect. A dream of mine is to one day do this in my house and yours is really fueling my inspiration right now. Just a thought but what about making one of those rounded wall sections and putting your electronics in there?

50. azheat01

Cool idea.....but I was just running out of space, oh, and time and money!

CT7567 likes this.